Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 26th November 2018, 18:02   #21  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanks G2K4, me found it in ChaosKing's suppository
(but methinks me will down your compile too).

EDIT: Damn, me had to refresh your Stuff Page again, FireFox shows cached page unless F5 refresh.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2018 at 18:04.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 18:07   #22  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
but methinks me will down your compile too.
It's not my compile, just a mirror. I also added the mirror link to the Wiki.

Quote:
Thanks G2K4, me found it in ChaosKing's suppository
Do you have a link for that? It's always good to have some backup suppositories.
Old 26th November 2018, 18:33   #23  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Backup (or should it be Back Up ) Suppositories as via Avisynth.nl HomePage, ExternalFilters, DownLoad Sites:- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Externa...Download_sites

EDIT: I think user Librarian used to have a significant archive, but dont remember where (and he dont come here often now).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2018 at 18:37.
Old 26th November 2018, 18:38   #24  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Suppositories as via Avisynth.nl HomePage, ExternalFilters, DownLoad Sites:- http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Externa...Download_sites
Thanks!
Old 26th November 2018, 18:41   #25  |  Link
stormy1777

Tin Woodman, thanks so much!!! Believe it or not, immediately pressed your MediaFire link on first reply; was lost from amount of files, and said... hmm... one day I'll be back to this Emerald City..

Well, that took few hours, now loaded that help file, and... lo-and-behold, the stack vertical is on the first page!! so, definitely, I'll find more time in the future to look through that file as things come up

Groucho:
Also tried the TEST clip, I mean, the real test clip, not the spinning girl

Fails to open for some reason.. the .mkv itself opens OK directly in VD2, but not through the AVS script. Fails with:

Code:
---------------------------
VirtualDub Error
Avisynth open failure:
LSMASHVideoSource [Fatal]: Failed to read an input file

(y:\temp\test.avs, line 3)
OK   
and, line 3 is:

LSmashVideoSource("Y:\TEMP\Gradient2K.mkv")

changing it to a MOV test clip, loads fine:

LSmashVideoSource("Y:\TEMP\test.mov")

reading the FAQ: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FAQ_loa...to_AviSynth.3F

it says to install and use FFmpegSource, however, that thing is apparently not defined? reading more folks say to use this construct for mkv:

Code:
A = FFAudioSource(X)
V = FFVideoSource(X)
AudioDub(V, A)
in this case it is simply this line:

Code:
FFVideoSource("Y:\TEMP\Gradient2K.mkv")
Loaded OK, but again, I'm not a hard-core A/V person, to me, the source looks better than the processed clip..

almost looks like some sort of "smoothness" filter is needed....

Anyways, I'm eternally thankful to everyone for the info/support, hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future too

Stormy.
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 18:48   #26  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Avisynth open failure:
LSMASHVideoSource [Fatal]: Failed to read an input file
For LSmash in avisynth,

LWLibavVideoSource() for MKV or other containers - this requires indexing (automatic)

LSMASHVideoSource() for MP4, MOV - no indexing required
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 18:55   #27  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

LSmashVideoSource is only for ISO container files, with these extensions (eg MOV, MP4 and some others of similar type)
Code:
Function IsISOFileName(String s) {
    s=RT_GetFileExtension(s) Return(s==".mov"||s==".mp4"||s==".m4v"||s==".3gp"||s==".3g2"||s==".mj2"||s==".dvb"||s==".dcf"||s==".m21")
}
The Other LSmash source filter would probably work ok, cant offhand remember what its called (I usually convert everything to AVI with ffmpeg, I find it less hassle).
EDIT: PDR gave name of other filter above.

Quote:
the source looks better than the processed clip
You have to find the "Sweet Spot", settings.

Gotta get some sleep.

EDIT:
Quote:
I usually convert everything to AVI with ffmpeg, I find it less hassle
Code:
REM We DO NOT LIKE SPACES IN FILE NAMES (REM == REMark ie comment)

setlocal

REM Where to Find ffmpeg
set FFMPEG="C:\BIN\ffmpeg.exe"

REM Where to get input file, No terminating Backslash, "." = current directory (ie same as dir .bat file)
set INDIR="."

REM Where to place output file, No terminating Backslash. "." would be same as .bat file
set OUTDIR="D:"

REM Below, can add extensionas as eg *.WMV (SPACE separated)
FOR %%A IN (*.mp4 *.vob *.mpg *.TS) DO (

REM ****** Un-REM ONLY one of below lines *******.
    %FFMPEG% -i "%INDIR%\%%A" -vcodec copy    -acodec copy      "%OUTDIR%\%%~nxA.MKV"
REM %FFMPEG% -i "%INDIR%\%%A" -vcodec utvideo -acodec copy      "%OUTDIR%\%%~nxA.MKV"
REM %FFMPEG% -i "%INDIR%\%%A" -vcodec utvideo -acodec pcm_s16le "%OUTDIR%\%%~nxA.AVI"
REM *********************************************.

)

REM ... Above UN-REM'ed lines :
REM      (1) Remux, copy both video and audio   (output MKV).
REM      (2) UtVideo lossless video, copy audio (output MKV).
REM      (3) UtVideo lossless video, PCM audio  (output AVI).

Pause
EDIT: *.VOB & *.MPG usually exceptions, I nearly always use DGIndex/MPeg2Source for those.

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2018 at 11:19.
Old 26th November 2018, 20:59   #28  |  Link
stormy1777

yeah, confirmed: LWLibavVideoSource() worked directly on the MKV.. nice to have friends in high places
Old 27th November 2018, 10:53   #29  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Added last edit in my prev post.

Old 27th November 2018, 16:36   #30  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

G2K2[EDIT:4], (and for any other that likes editing the Wiki),

Here is DavidHorman repository:- http://www.horman.net/avisynth/

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2018 at 17:47.
Old 27th November 2018, 17:09   #31  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
G2K2, (and for any other that likes editing the Wiki),

Here is DavidHorman repository:- http://www.horman.net/avisynth/
Thanks.
Old 27th November 2018, 17:25   #32  |  Link
hello_hello

stormy1777,
The idea of GradFun3 is to fix or prevent banding. If there's no banding in your source, then not seeing any difference is the ideal scenario.

Based on my single frame test, flash3kyuu_deband looks pretty good. I hadn't used it before. I tested with the default settings.

These screenshots are the output from the Avisynth script though, so I still have some "how does it look after it's encoded" testing to do, as well as some "how does it look after noise filtering" testing.
It's not too often I'd need to fix banding like this. For me, the idea is usually to prevent it when encoding, and GradFun3 has generally been doing the job. Still there have been times when I've struggled with it a bit, so I will be trying out flash3kyuu_deband. I tested with flash3kyuu_deband 1.5.1 as the links in the opening post of the doom9 thread weren't working.

I found sneaker_ger's link later though. There's newer versions there. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...14#post1841014

I struggle to see the banding below on my PC monitor (I'm still using a CRT) but running full screen on my TV it's hard to miss.

Original

GradFun3()

f3kdb()

To get to the full size version after clicking on the thumbnail you need to right click on the image and select "view image". Either that or download it.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th November 2018 at 09:29.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 17:44   #33  |  Link
hello_hello

flash3kyuu_deband did well again here (banding on the wall and on the filing cabinet in front of the guy), and doesn't seem to be blurring any detail where it shouldn't.

Original

Gradfun3()

f3kdb()

Edit: Fixed the link for screenshot 3.

I'll be interested to see how this relates to compressibility when encoding. The file sizes for the screenshots in this post (I also saved them as jpg with 80% quality, just to see). When encoding, GradFun3 tends to increase compressibility a little, if anything.

Original: PNG 318.4 kB, JPG 46.6 kB
GradFun3: PNG 503.5 kB, JPG 45.9 kB
f3kdb: PNG 851.5 kB, JPG 47.0 kB

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th November 2018 at 11:46.
Old 27th November 2018, 22:14   #34  |  Link
stormy1777

Hello!! second post first and 3rd url are the SAME url, but first post convinced me to try this deband, and it seems promising! have not tried it on my source (which most definitely has banding, but round ones, say if u were to video car's headlights headon in the dark

ok, so got it to work from a script, but question is it possible to somehow create a VD Filter and "import" it into VD2 ? when tried to LOAD the .dll it reported that no filter is there, probably expected:

Code:
VirtualDub Error
Module "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\flash3kyuu_deband.dll" does not contain VirtualDub filters.
OK   
is there a way to create some ?text? file or wrapper that will allow it to be loaded directly from VD2?

Thanks.
Stormy.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:40   #35  |  Link
hello_hello

I encoded the video I was using for my screenshots. After it's encoded, the version with flash3kyuu_deband still looked a bit better, but as I suspected, it does come at the cost of compressibility. Not that it matters too much to me. Unless the file size was totally out of control I'd rather it looked better.

The video was just under an hour and the resolution was 1280x640. I used something close to preset slower (and tune film) with CRF18 for x264. I used the defaults for both GradFun3 and flash3kyuu_deband.

The GradFun3 version came in at 559 MB and 1347 kb/s.
For flash3kyuu_deband it was 656MB and 1582 kb/s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777 View Post
Hello!! second post first and 3rd url are the SAME url, but first post convinced me to try this deband, and it seems promising! have not tried it on my source (which most definitely has banding, but round ones, say if u were to video car's headlights headon in the dark
Thanks. I fixed the third link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777 View Post
ok, so got it to work from a script, but question is it possible to somehow create a VD Filter and "import" it into VD2 ? when tried to LOAD the .dll it reported that no filter is there, probably expected:

is there a way to create some ?text? file or wrapper that will allow it to be loaded directly from VD2?
Not that I know of, but why not just create an Avisynth script and use it that way?

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th November 2018 at 01:58.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:44   #36  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I encoded the video I was using for my screenshots. After it's encoded, the version with flash3kyuu_deband still looked a bit better, but as I suspected, it does come at the cost of compressibility.
You can control the amount of grain added with the grainY / grainC parameters. Default is 64 (dither_algo > 0). I found that 32 for both is sufficient for light banding.
Old 28th November 2018, 09:00   #37  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
You can control the amount of grain added with the grainY / grainC parameters. Default is 64 (dither_algo > 0). I found that 32 for both is sufficient for light banding.
I encoded it again with 32 for the grain arguments and it took the file size down to 577 MB and the bitrate to 1391 kb/s. Pretty close to the GradFun3 bitrate, although after encoding I thought the GradFun3 defaults did better.
Still, there's been times when I've had to get GradFun3 to blur more than I'd like to fix severe banding, so flash3kyuu_deband will still be something I'll try as an alternative.

The same frame I posted screenshots for earlier, only this time it's the encoded versions rather than the script output.

Source

GradFun3()

f3kdb(grainY=32,grainC=32)

f3kdb()

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th November 2018 at 11:43.
Old 28th November 2018, 11:52   #38  |  Link
Groucho2004

There's another knob you can try - "dynamic_grain". You may also do debanding in 16 bit stacked mode:

Code:
Dither_convert_8_to_16()
...other 16 bit stacked filters...
f3kdb(input_mode = 1, output_mode = 1, keep_tv_range = true, dynamic_grain = true, grainY = 32, grainC = 32)
DitherPost()
Or, with AVSPLUS you can do this:

Code:
ConvertBits(16)
...other 16 bit filters...
ConvertToStacked()
f3kdb(input_mode = 1, output_mode = 1, keep_tv_range = true, dynamic_grain = true, grainY = 32, grainC = 32)
ConvertFromStacked(bits = 16)
ConvertBits(8, dither = 0)
Old 28th November 2018, 13:32   #39  |  Link
stormy1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Not that I know of, but why not just create an Avisynth script and use it that way?
I'm trying to use the GUI as much as possible, if it was integrated, more likely i'd use it... not that i have an issue with scripts, it's just more time consuming as shown by the Xmax greeting set, scripting is a very POWERFUL tool, so no doubt will use it from time to time ...

It sounds like one needs to compile some code to generate a .vdf file, i was naively thinking it is some xml/txt that points to some binary/dll
Old 28th November 2018, 13:55   #40  |  Link
stormy1777

BTW, added a call to: f3kdb() (using a *2* line script, open and f3kdb()), it (greatly) reduced filesize, so to make things more "fair" (filesize, or kbps), reduced CRF (from 16 to 14) this should increase quality, I *think* resulting looks better, it came at same filesize/kbps compared to the non-f3kdb.. so I'll use this for a bit and see the only "annoyance" is that for each file need to write a new script, but that's fine Thanks thanks to all that helped get us thus far, I would not have believed what I'm doing now, not that I really know it all, but it feels good