Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th November 2021, 20:25   #1  |  Link
azymuth75

BD Rebuilder extras vs. main movie recognition

Hi.

I am using BD Rebuilder for shrinking BD50 to BD25 and its working great for me except one thing...

I am using "quicker encode for extras" option, because I would like to preserve as much quality as I can for the main movie, but also would like to have all extras, and they can be with less quality.
The problem begins when the "extras" video is longer than 40 minutes.
It looks like that for BDR, video that is longer than 40 min. is not in "extras category" any more, but in the "main movie category", because while all videos shorter than 40 minutes have much lesser file size depending on "QUICK_CRF" command, the ones that are longer than 40 minutes don't change in size much, no matter what the value of "QUICK_CRF" is.

So my question is:
Is it true that video length border that divides "extras" from "main movie" is 40 minutes?
If it is, could it be changed, so that "QUICK_CRF" command would relate to absolutely all extras, except the main movie?

Thank you for your answer!

Last edited by azymuth75; 8th November 2021 at 20:29.
azymuth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2021, 14:54   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

There is no flag on a disc the says "this stream is an extra". So BD-RB has to look at a number of indicators to try and make that determination. It isn't as simple as looking for a fixed size threshold. For example, there may be small streams that are pieces of a multipart main feature, or alternate parts used only for a different playback sequence. A stream may also be associated with a menu.

If a file is over 5GB is is never treated as an extra, but other than that it has to go through a sequence of tests to help determine its disposition. I wish I had a better answer, but, unfortunately, I don't. About all BD-RB can do is make a best guess.