Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Closed Thread

Old 15th January 2003, 18:10   #1  |  Link
ammck55

Rule 9 Alert

Excerpt from the forum rules found at the top of this page:

9) Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention.

It's frustrating to go back days later and read a thread that has interesting or helpful content that I initially bypassed because the title didn't interest me. As newbies, we need all the help we can get, and inappropriate titling of a post is one sure way to miss out on good help. Or get ignored. IMHO, cutting to the heart of the matter with a clean, descriptive title, will get the best help. Guess that's obvious, as it is in the rules.

ammck55
Old 15th January 2003, 20:11   #2  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

good point

i was kind of getting frustrated with the newbie forum too. it would be great to at least know, if the topic of a thread is a kind of dvd authoring question or something about DivX/(S)VCD question.

so to all users posting in this forum:
it is NO problem to use long thread titels. Please use descriptive titels so people that give their time to help don't get fed up by reading numerous posts about a topic they are not even good at.

thanks in advance
steVe

well somehow this didn't/ doesn't work out the way i expected it to. anyway, why do some work again if somebody else (markrb) has done it way better than one could probably ever do it.(as ammck55 has mentioned in the post below - written before i edited my post) So i kindly ask any new member of our forum, especially members which do not have a lot of experience with forums in general, to read this: Markrb's How to post FAQ
I thank you for your patience!
oh and if you haven't already, or have forgotten them, why not take a look at the forum rules (again)

oh and another thing:
by writing this i do not want to play 'somebody important'. All i want to do is creat a better atmosphere in here. And trust me it is in your personal interest if the really experienced users (i'm not including myself) like to take a look in here!

[old]well just to inform you guy's what is happening here and why this thread was made sticky: we (ammck55 and I) want to create a 'How to post in the newbie forums" FAQ here... so if you've got any coments/ideas please PM us...
regards and thanks for your understanding SteVe[/old]

Last edited by killingspree; 24th January 2003 at 21:20.
Old 17th January 2003, 21:15   #3  |  Link
ammck55

I'm complimented that you felt this was worthy of being made a sticky. My only motivation here was to create a post that might get the attention of some of the newer members, as there has been a rash of poorly titled posts of late. Over in the Basic Topics forum, Moderator markrb created a sticky on good posting that has it all. If anything, Mark's sticky should be set at the top of this page, IMHO. Hours and hours of labor could be spent on such a project, and still fall far short of Mark's efforts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by ammck55; 26th January 2003 at 23:09.
Old 26th January 2003, 21:20   #4  |  Link
ArdenDag
Confused Poster

I think this will be worked into the FAQ, when it eventually gets finished, so this would no longer need to be a sticky.

The Secret O' Life is enjoying the passage of time -- James Taylor

Live by it.
Old 26th January 2003, 23:06   #5  |  Link
ammck55

@ArdenDag-->I think you are probably right in this assumption. Good Super Bowling.

ammck55
Old 6th February 2003, 06:29   #6  |  Link
jacobjef

I agree with most of the frustrations, but in my opinion Rule 9 is highly subjective. It takes about 5-10 seconds to view a post. A more objective measure would be to ensure that posts actually belong to the proper forum in the first place. Rule 9 will lead to posts with titles that say much of nothing, and we'll be in the same boat again. Not being able to find posts becuase all of the subjects say the same thing. However, If a post is to "begin" in the PROPER forum, I think the subject title debate would not even exist.

Another thing why you got me going on the topic. If Rule 9 is a result of "wasted time" searching threads, then I think something should be done on behalf of those that make posts where the person obviously lacks in the (any) ability to write. I seem to waste most of my time trying to read through unreadable threads. That is truely frustrating.
Old 24th April 2003, 08:11   #7  |  Link
hakko504
Remember Rule One

Anyone wondering why the rule #9 exisists should read this post by DDogg.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com
Old 15th December 2003, 23:20   #8  |  Link
pepipocpoc
locacious volubilis

@jacobjef (erm, hello, everybody )

I don't fully agree with you ; it takes me much more than 10 seconds to read a thread, and, anyway, I find very helpfull when searching for myself to use the "search titles only" option, so well summarized posts ARE essentials.

@ammck55

I thought about starting a similar thread myself

@ moderators & everyone else

Don't you think every member ("any" is perhaps the word I'm looking for ) should be more gratefull? I mean, sometimes, you try to help someone, or even read a thread, and then... you can't guess if the tip was usefull . Apart from the joy of being thanked, a return helps to know if one's reply was the good one...

Cheers
pepi
Old 15th May 2005, 08:50   #9  |  Link
Hornz

my thoughts exactly