Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2008, 04:00   #1  |  Link
Vchat20

AVI packed h264 to mpeg2 conversion difficulties

Long story short here I have a project where I have a number of AVI packed h264/mp3 videos that I need to convert to dvd compliant mpeg2/ac3 files to author a playable disc in Adobe Encore later on. Normally this would not be a problem. I have ffdshow already set to decode both mp3 and h264 with libavcodec and playback of said videos is flawless through mplayer2.

My preferred app for mpeg2 conversion is TMPGenc Xpress primarily for the built in AC3 support (otherwise Plus if I only need LPCM or MP2 audio). Feeding the avi file directly into Xpress using ffdshow to decode results in a lot of picture freezes in the resulting mpeg2 file and the same thing happens if I happen to feed it through an AVS script into Xpress.

Curious if anyone has any idea? It's baffling me as I half assumed the AVS script idea would have worked perfectly from a theory standpoint.
Old 20th October 2008, 04:32   #2  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

Where did you acquire the H.264/mp3 avi files from?
Old 20th October 2008, 07:19   #3  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

You should re-encode the content from your original DVD's.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:29   #4  |  Link
Vchat20

Thanks for few ideas I can try out. Unfortunately I do not know what the original source is as it was given to me by a friend who wanted a playable dvd out of it. But I assume some form of torrent originally as it's a few hour long episodes of a certain tv show long gone that has had no dvd releases anyway.

I've already tried forcing everything through CoreAVC instead of ffdshow's h264 decoder and still get the same exact results. I'll have to try some of the suggested ideas and see where it goes.
Closed Thread

Tags
ffdshow, h264, mpeg2, tmpgenc