Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 14th November 2022, 07:27   #441  |  Link
zzreel

Tool's been working for everything I throw at it except this one specific file.. I'm trying to extract RPU (version 8) and the file itself has a real working DV but the tool gives me this error:

Warning: Unexpected RPU NALU found for frame 15898. Discarding.

It shows that per each frame, completing the extract process with a 0kb RPU file.

Reordering metadata... thread 'main' panicked at 'Missing frame/slices for metadata! Decoded index 224929', src\dovi\general_read_write.rs:311:21

Is there something special about this file or something? The DV was already taken from another source for this file, thence dv hybrid, but I was able to extract others like it without issue.
Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 36 min
Bit rate : 37.0 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.186
Stream size : 40.4 GiB (89%)
Title : DV HYBRID
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
zzreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2022, 14:24   #442  |  Link
quietvoid

Sounds like the file was possibly injected in twice before the tool ignored existing RPU NALUs.
Old 15th November 2022, 16:21   #443  |  Link
zzreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
Sounds like the file was possibly injected in twice before the tool ignored existing RPU NALUs.
Interesting. Any way I could still extract it?
zzreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2022, 16:36   #444  |  Link
quietvoid

I'm not sure, the current workaround is best-effort when it comes to invalid/duplicate RPUs.
If you can reproduce the error with a smaller sample (which you can share), then I can look into it.
Old 19th November 2022, 15:42   #445  |  Link
bitspyer

How does DDVT get the Border-Info for Movie and RPU?
Does the rpu Binary has Border-Info in its Meta-Data?

Or get DDVT this Information with DetectBorder.exe ?

The Reason for my Question is, I have a Source, with mixed IMax and normal Widescreen Content, which means, the Borders has diffrent sizes....

Will DDVT change the crop Bars or leave DDVT the RPU Crop untouched?

Thnx 4 answers....

Name:  ddvt.png
Views: 568
Size:  46.0 KB

The shown Bordes are for Widescreen Content, 68px Top / Bottom will be the correct Bordes for the IMAX Content.

Last edited by bitspyer; 19th November 2022 at 15:49.
bitspyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 19:39   #446  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

This was discussed a while ago in this thread, so take a look a few pages back. The short answer is that no, DDVT on its own does not automatically change the L5 metadata (frame borders) per frame, and it usually only detects the largest aspect ratio (smallest borders). You can put a custom.json file next to the RPU.bin file to tell DDVT injector what borders to use for which frames.
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 11:26   #447  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitspyer View Post
Does the rpu Binary has Border-Info in its Meta-Data?
Yes. Like GodzilaAvenger said, it's in RPU's so-called L5 metadata.

In case of varying borders, I don't know what to think of detecting them. I may be dead wrong (please anyone correct me if so), but I imagine DDVT parses an amount of frames at the beginning. Both for video and RPU data, my guess. BTW even if all L5 would match the varying borders, it isn't always so that DDVT would show the same values. When I drop a certain movie, of which I know RPU is 100% correct, the border values for video differs from those of RPU. I guess this is because video shows almost all black frames at the beginning.

Main question is if L5 values match the actual border sizes of the video, at any point. In other words, do you trust the RPU. Should you have extracted it from the same source where BL comes from, chances are it's ok. If you like, you can check for yourself by comparing L5 values to the actually displayed borders of several cherry-picked frames. FYI if you drop RPU on DDVT_FRAMEINFO, you can check values for any frame number you put in.
Once you know RPU is ok you obviously want to [LEAVE UNTOUCHED] whilst injecting. Actually, for such videos I'd never change L5, because ALL frames would end up with the same value.

Should RPU values not match video, there's several things you can do. For a proper job, you have to edit the RPU the way GodzilaAvenger mentioned.
If that be too much, you can try setting L5 to the value of the smallest border. Or, set all to zero (crop). It depends a bit on how your player behaves on black when it's part of the active area. Chances are that you'll experience some "grey" issues.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:15   #448  |  Link
LazyNcoder

Hello guys,
Today I bumped into a hybrid DV/HDR+ video which had the combination of DV and HDR+ metadata from two different sources.
The author stated that he/she has edited the L6 metadata of the DV to match the HDR+

it's like:
blah.blah.DV.mkv
blah.blah.HDR.mkv
and
blah.blah.hybrid.DV.HDR.mkv

I extracted the DV and HDR+ metadata from the original different sources and used both of them in x265.exe to re-encode it with given MAXCLL/MAXFALL options. But the DV metadata from the final .hevc file was untouched, same as source(obviously).

Now I want to ask, if the L6 editing part is required and how to do that. How can I get the correct MAXCLL/MAXFALL and add it to the DV to use it when I want to include both DV and HDR in my encode.
OR can I just extract the metadata of the different DV and HDR+ and use them without editing in my encode, without editing the L6 metadata.

Thanks

Last edited by LazyNcoder; 22nd November 2022 at 18:20.
LazyNcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2022, 18:51   #449  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

As quietvoid mentioned previously (Post #434) those L6 values don't seem to be used anywhere, and I've seen them be set to 0 in a lot of my BluRays so I don't have any reason to think otherwise. I'd say don't waste your time on L6 because it will likely won't matter in the end.
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2022, 12:53   #450  |  Link
bitspyer

Thnx for the answers.
In the meantime I got myself the answer too. I used dovi_tool to get the JSON from RPU and saw the diffrent borders for the IMAX Frames.
bitspyer is offline   Reply With Quote