Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 7th January 2009, 17:48   #1  |  Link
jdb2

Horribly mangled raw video stream

Hello there. For the past week I've been struggling to get a clean MPEG-PS stream from my "Stargate (Ultimate Edition)" DVD. I've used plain old 'mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream' on the machine I'm typing this on. ( Kubuntu Linux 8.04 ) I've used the latest version ( 6.5.0.7 ) of AnyDVD HD in Win XP SP3 under the latest version of VMWare 6.5 on this same machine. Also, I've used AnyDVD HD on another machine with a native Windows install. I get the same result in all cases : when the stream or .VOB files are played using Mplayer, the error/warning/debug output complains of constant FILM<->NTSC frame rate changes, constant NTSC<->Progressive NTSC content changes, "Warning! FPS changed" and other miscellanea. Also, when playing the physical DVD from the drive with eg, 'mplayer dvd://1 -fs' *I get the exact same errors and warnings*. Just to be absolutely sure, I compiled the latest versions of libdvdread and libdvdnav from the Mplayer home page and I used Subversion to checkout the latest snapshot of Mplayer and compiled it with the './configure --enable-gui --disable-dvdread-internal' options. ( The latter option is needed so that Mplayer doesn't use its built-in versions of libdvdread and libdvdnav and instead compiles against the versions already installed on your system ) The result : same errors.

I still haven't explained why I care about the above errors. Let me do so now. The purpose of my quest to get a clean MPEG-PS rip is so that I can transcode a small portion of it using the latest version of Avidemux. But, when any of the above rips are loaded into Avidemux and played, I get horribly out-of-sync video/audio along with choppy video : eg. continuous stuttering out-of-sync audio with jumpy video. After some research, I discovered that the DVD itself could have been crapilly mastered, resulting in a mix of either Telecined and progressive content or interlaced and progressive content. But, when single stepping through each frame of the video *I do not see the Telecine pattern, nor any pattern at all, or any interlacing for that matter*.

One interesting tidbit is that Mplayer can play *all* of the above stream dumps and/or .VOB files, including the physical DVD via 'dvd://1' *flawlessly* .

So basically, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I've attached the error/warning/debug output of ' mplayer -msglevel all=9 -identify stream.dump 1>log.txt 2>&1 ' . ( note that the text file is doubly compressed : log.zip -> log.txt.tar.bz2 -> log.txt )

If anyone can help me I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

jdb2
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip (58.3 KB, 36 views)
jdb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 19:41   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I've worked with the same disk, and like you suspect it's a mix of progressive and interlaced material, with the extra footage left out of the theatrical release added in as interlaced. Audio synch issues are probably due to framerate being detected wrong.

Is your avatar something from The Dark Crystal?
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 20:53   #3  |  Link
jdb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
I've worked with the same disk, and like you suspect it's a mix of progressive and interlaced material, with the extra footage left out of the theatrical release added in as interlaced.

Audio synch issues are probably due to framerate being detected wrong.
You wouldn't happen to know how you got around this? ( I've tried multiple deinterlacing filters, using Avidemux and mencoder, only to get nice non-stuttering audio, but audio that is auto of sync and slowly grows more out of sync no matter what I do. )

Regards,

jdb2

Last edited by jdb2; 7th January 2009 at 21:23.
Old 7th January 2009, 21:07   #4  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2 View Post
Are you a fellow Dark Crystal fan?
Chat goes to PM, please.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 00:14   #5  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I never managed to get a clean .avi out of Gordian Knot with any filters or deinterlacing/IVTC processing without spoiling something else, and I haven't tried since. I may pull out the disk and give it another go since I've learned a lot about hybrid material in the last couple years, but I don't know what apps will make the crossover from Windows to Kubuntu.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 05:30   #6  |  Link
jdb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
but I don't know what apps will make the crossover from Windows to Kubuntu.
That really doesn't matter. Mencoder, Mplayer and Avidemux pretty much cover the functionality of the Windows software listed in the downloads section. All I'd have to do is translate what you're doing in Windows over to Linux.

Regards,

jdb2

Tags
avidemux, choppy, mplayer, stargate, stuttering