Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 4th July 2005, 10:38   #21  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2
Yes, I'll consider it for 1.5.0.
Thank you very much!
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 15:58   #22  |  Link
Xesdeeni

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni
Is there any way we can help with decoder optimizations? Is it possible to add DxVA to the decoder?
I don't see DGIndex as a player. The play is there only for finding cut points and getting preview information. Therefore, optimized playback appears superfluous, especially without audio.
I thought DGIndex was just the front end for DGMPEGDec.dll. And I thought there was a decoder in DGMPEGDec.dll. Did I miss something?

Xesdeeni
Xesdeeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 16:16   #23  |  Link

You want an application that opens an AVS script invoking DGDecode() to play HD content in real-time? Possibly, you think that the performance of the MPEG decoder can be improved? Sure, that's probably true. If there is source code available for improved decoding, and it is usable under its licensing provisions, and it will not be a full-scale effort to use it, then it could be considered.

jackei has developed some optimizations for the motion compensation that we could pick up. I don't know how much of a performance gain it will give.

DxVA support would be possible only for an integrated DirectShow player application. DGMPGDec is intended for transcoding purposes. As I said, it is not intended as a player application.

Last edited by Guest; 6th July 2005 at 16:33.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 16:37   #24  |  Link
Xesdeeni

Quote:
You want an AVS script invoking DGDecode() to play HD content in real-time? In other words, you think that the performance of the MPEG decoder can be improved?
Well, for conversion, I'd like something much better than real time :-) Decoding is only half the process, and the faster that goes the faster the conversion goes.
Quote:
DxVA is an issue for the application that opens the AVS script and plays the video, not an issue for DGMPGDec, unless I am misunderstanding things.
As I understand it, DxVA is a standard (Microsoft API) way of accessing some video features of the VGA devices that accelerate some common video operations, including MPEG. I'm not familiar with the specifics, but I assume IDCT and probably motion compensation are included. However, the goal with these features was to accelerate playback on the display. So I don't know if using these features is practical when the resulting uncompressed images must be shipped back out of the VGA for processing.

Xesdeeni
Old 6th July 2005, 20:33   #25  |  Link
Cyberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni
Well, for conversion, I'd like something much better than real time :-) Decoding is only half the process, and the faster that goes the faster the conversion goes.
Can't argue with that.

I intend to do some testing with the MC code, and the iDCTs to see if there is anything else we can remove.

(Currently, I am trapped in Guild Wars however.)
Cyberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 20:48   #26  |  Link
Xesdeeni

In the interest of the complete background, my interest in speeding up MPEG decoding relates to conversion of HD ATSC MPEG-2 transport streams to DiVX (or h.264), so that HD programs longer than 30 minutes can be archived on a single DVD*R. (I'm not holding my breath about the 2 HD DVD formats to become standard or affordable any time soon.) For playback, I'm considering the LinkPlayer2 DVD player (or a clone from JVC that has digital out), which can play HD DiVX (and as a bonus, can play TS directly via a network). But the conversions currently take a very long time. I investigated and realized even the DGMPEGDec decoding was much slower than real time on the machines that could use a DxVA enabled codec and play back in real time, and still have 70-75% of the CPU free. So I thought I'd ask whether DxVA would help DGMPEGDec.

Xesdeeni
Old 7th July 2005, 01:34   #27  |  Link

@xesdeeni

It's definitely a valuable issue to raise, and we should look into it. One problem will be that I don't have a graphics card that supports DxVA. Let's get the MC optimized and then revisit this down the road. Thank you for bringing it to the table.
Old 7th July 2005, 20:20   #28  |  Link
Xesdeeni

Quote:
One problem will be that I don't have a graphics card that supports DxVA.
Wow! How old is your VGA card? I have this crappy on-board Intel mobo at work with built-in cheap VGA and it has DxVA (although I had to download a driver update from Intel's site). I downloaded nVidia's trial codec and even this low-performing mobo works great with HD (about 30% of a hyperthread CPU, which is about 60% of a single CPU). Without the codec, I get huge frame drops (I'd estimate at least 1/3 of the frames) with 50% CPU use (100% of one CPU). DGMPEGDec plays at less than half speed through AVISynth in VirtualDub, and it looks like at least 50% of the frames are dropped in MediaPlayer on the same machine.

Xesdeeni
Old 7th July 2005, 22:41   #29  |  Link

Well, I just assumed it doesn't support it, but I could be wrong. I will try to find out.
Old 13th July 2005, 23:18   #30  |  Link
CloudStrife

Yop,
Good Job neuron2 DGMPGDec is very good (And Good job at MarcFD, Nic, and other for MPEG2Dec3)
I have just a question... For the compilling, i use VC++ 2003, and for the compiling of assembler source, which compiler use you ?
I have use the last nasm (and i have modified the compiler path) but it's not work :/

(Sorry for my very bad english)
CloudStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2005, 23:58   #31  |  Link

idctmmx.asm is built by ml; all the others are built by nasm.
Old 14th July 2005, 00:12   #32  |  Link
CloudStrife

don't work at me
which is your nasm version ?
Old 14th July 2005, 04:18   #33  |  Link

NASM 0.98.37

I could help you better if you gave me the exact error output that you are getting, and told me the file name and which executable you are trying to build.

Last edited by Guest; 14th July 2005 at 04:21.
Old 14th July 2005, 11:40   #34  |  Link
CloudStrife

i have d/l nasm and copy like you this file into d:\dosbin
I compile this...
And the error was :

Étape de génération personnalisée en cours
Le système ne peut exécuter le programme spécifié.
Project : error PRJ0019: Un outil a retourné un code d'erreur*à partir de "Étape de génération personnalisée en cours"

In English :
Stage of personalized generation in progress
The system cannot carry out the specified program.
Project: error PRJ0019: A tool turned over an error code starting from "Stage of personalized generation in progress"

In the batch file, the command line is :
@echo off
d:\dosbin\nasm -f win32 -DPREFIX -DWIN32 -o ".\Debug"\"skl_dct_sse".obj "f:\CloudStrife\Avisynth\dgmpgdec140src\dgdecode140src\skl_dct_sse.asm"
Old 14th July 2005, 12:51   #35  |  Link

Code:
@echo off
d:\dosbin\nasm -f win32 -DPREFIX -DWIN32 -o ".\Debug\skl_dct_sse.obj" "f:\CloudStrife\Avisynth\dgmpgdec140src\dgdecode140src\skl_dct_sse.asm"
BTW, this is off-topic for this thread. Please open a new one if you still can't make it work.

Last edited by Guest; 14th July 2005 at 12:56.
Old 27th July 2005, 04:47   #36  |  Link
AllTimeSToneD
HDTV Nerd

@neuron2

will the "closed gop" option be considered for the Development List? Would be great!
AllTimeSToneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 13:51   #37  |  Link
stax76

I have a minor request, it needs a little explanation. Generally applications that can open files with CLI have to ways to open files. Either you open a file from within the application with the file browser or you open the file from the shell with the CLI. I'm the kind of user working with the shell extensively. To be more precise I'm working with a application that let me customize the explorer shell. I've got a explorer context menu allowing me to select files in the explorer and open them with the explorer context menu sorted in DGIndex. All this works great. There is however a limitation compared to open the files from within the application that is the target directory won't be picked up from the source, I have to browse always the target directory and furthermore enter the target filename. The ideal workflow would be open files from the shell, hit key to save (there is no key yet to demux), have target file path now already filled in the file browser to just hit enter to start to process instead of browsing a directory and entering a filename.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 15:21   #38  |  Link

Cut to the chase: what are you asking me to change in DGIndex?
Old 30th July 2005, 15:29   #39  |  Link
stax76

more terse (my style anyway): suggest always a file path in the file save dialog api
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 15:44   #40  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
more terse (my style anyway): suggest always a file path in the file save dialog api
I've added it to the development list. It's pretty easy so expect it in the next beta. Thank you for your suggestion.