Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 9th July 2023, 00:44   #1  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,657
A more generic way to fix color casted line in anime after color correction?

When we finished color correcting some color casted old anime, often the black line art are still not fixed. For example in this image, I got what I want for the color, but the black line art around the skin are still exhibiting the red cast. I can fix this by using some color manipulation programs like 3D LUT Creator, reducing the saturation on those red on the color grid, but it requires manual work and different from image to image. Is there a more generic way to fix this?

https://imgsli.com/MTkwNTg4
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2023, 02:46   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,409
Maybe filters with line mask ?

The "fix" doesn't necessarily look great either. You're trading pink/red for green/teal . Around character's right ear looks especially noticable
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2023, 04:36   #3  |  Link
hello_hello
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,852
An idea borrowed from jagabo (VideoHelp).

You could warp sharpen the chroma by a fairly large amount. I'd probably warp sharpen the luma a little too, to neaten the lines. If you over-do the chroma sharpening it can leave gaps between the chroma and the lines (although maybe that's only a problem for subsampled chroma), but I think it's okay for your screenshot.

ImageSource("D:\pic.jpg")
ConvertToYV24(matrix="rec709")
C = FastLineDarkenMod4(thinning=0)
MergeChroma(C.aWarpSharp2(depth=5), C.aWarpSharp2(depth=100))
FastLineDarkenMod4(thinning=0)

https://imgur.com/sVMq3ac.png

Last edited by hello_hello; 9th July 2023 at 04:48.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2023, 05:06   #4  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
An idea borrowed from jagabo (VideoHelp).

You could warp sharpen the chroma by a fairly large amount. I'd probably warp sharpen the luma a little too, to neaten the lines. If you over-do the chroma sharpening it can leave gaps between the chroma and the lines (although maybe that's only a problem for subsampled chroma), but I think it's okay for your screenshot.

ImageSource("D:\pic.jpg")
ConvertToYV24(matrix="rec709")
C = FastLineDarkenMod4(thinning=0)
MergeChroma(C.aWarpSharp2(depth=5), C.aWarpSharp2(depth=100))
FastLineDarkenMod4(thinning=0)

https://imgur.com/sVMq3ac.png
iirc that this routine is for fixing color bleed. My problem here is the color casted lines, in my sample the lines are red.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2023, 06:45   #5  |  Link
hello_hello
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,852
There's also what looks similar to chroma bleed around some of the lines. Her mouth, for example.
The lines seem far less red to me, but the green shirt being worn by the person standing behind her.... those lines are dark green.

Were lines always pure black, at least for older animation? I ask, as I'm sure I've got some animation, old episodes of Family Guy probably, where the lines are often a very dark color rather than black. Totally different from the crisp black lines in later episodes. I don't know if it's because the animation style has changed, or if they were put through a damaging process at some stage, or if they were created that way.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2023, 14:01   #6  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
There's also what looks similar to chroma bleed around some of the lines. Her mouth, for example.
The lines seem far less red to me, but the green shirt being worn by the person standing behind her.... those lines are dark green.
The chroma bleed was caused by my color correcting program, the dark green line are just artifact on my part.

Quote:
Were lines always pure black, at least for older animation? I ask, as I'm sure I've got some animation, old episodes of Family Guy probably, where the lines are often a very dark color rather than black. Totally different from the crisp black lines in later episodes. I don't know if it's because the animation style has changed, or if they were put through a damaging process at some stage, or if they were created that way.
The lines from the original cels are usually black. They only repaint the line when there was not enough contrast to differenciate two simular color. For example, and brownish hair with a purple highlight on top.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2023, 16:33   #7  |  Link
shph
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 134
This is a normal "film halation" effect. It is a part of real film look
https://coloristfactory.com/2021/09/...ing-important/
https://thedarkroom.com/what-is-halation/
"Halation is the reflection of bright points of light off of the film base and pressure plate causing a “glow” in the strong highlights on some images. "
In your anime example large bright areas creates orange halation around small black areas. So it is not a bug. It is a part of original film look.

Last edited by shph; 10th July 2023 at 16:37.
shph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
color cast, color correction

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.