Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th May 2024, 16:06   #64761  |  Link
huhn

because it will use the wrong transfer function for sdr.

you can calibrate that out using a 3d lut but without you just get trash on the screen.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 20:26   #64762  |  Link
tp4tissue

Everything in windows will still look a bit dim and wrong.
Old 12th May 2024, 21:41   #64763  |  Link
huhn

if you overcome the sRGB part you can set the brightness of SDR inw in 11 and match it with SDR brightness.

or with other word if your display is calibrated to sRGB which windows assume you to do it will already look pretty much the same.
Old 13th May 2024, 00:53   #64764  |  Link
tp4tissue

You can calibrate it out if the display is well behaved. For example cheaper, low end displays that do effectively no active contrast/ tonemapping on its own.

On most newer displays, when you go into HDR, they invariably start doing funky things that make a mess of calibration.
Old 13th May 2024, 17:06   #64765  |  Link
Amuat

Thing is, it looks identical, if not better, on HDR (just checked this to be sure). I mean doesn't the fact that the monitor is on HDR mean that it displays wider dynamic range and color gamut no matter the content? Isn't that the whole point of having the option to play SDR games on HDR?

"Though many newer games are developed for HDR, some older games are SDR only, such as games that use DirectX 11 or DirectX 12. But with Auto HDR, that changes. When you turn on Auto HDR, the color range and brightness is automatically increased to HDR. It’s a feature that lets you play and see your older games in a new light with HDR on your HDR-capable display."

Might very well be that it's just a placebo that all videos seem to look slightly better with HDR, but if I don't have some serious visual impairment, I can say with complete certainty that they absolutely do not look worse.
Amuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 18:03   #64766  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuat View Post
Thing is, it looks identical, if not better, on HDR (just checked this to be sure). I mean doesn't the fact that the monitor is on HDR mean that it displays wider dynamic range and color gamut no matter the content? Isn't that the whole point of having the option to play SDR games on HDR?
no. you can not do that and it does not do that.
it put sRGB in HDR not using the wider gamut at all.

Quote:
"Though many newer games are developed for HDR, some older games are SDR only, such as games that use DirectX 11 or DirectX 12. But with Auto HDR, that changes. When you turn on Auto HDR, the color range and brightness is automatically increased to HDR. Itís a feature that lets you play and see your older games in a new light with HDR on your HDR-capable display."
a marketing...
just get an old samsung TV they have 2000 HZ+.

Quote:
Might very well be that it's just a placebo that all videos seem to look slightly better with HDR, but if I don't have some serious visual impairment, I can say with complete certainty that they absolutely do not look worse.
sad to hear
Old 13th May 2024, 20:53   #64767  |  Link
Sunspark

One thing I wonder about, and I don't know where it is getting the data from, in the f.lux options>driver info where it lists chromaticities, etc. it says I have an sRGB gamut of 100% and an AdobeRGB gamut of 93%. Is it really getting those values from the display, or from the displayport to hdmi adapter I have?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 21:10   #64768  |  Link
Asmodian

No. It is simply assuming the Windows default color space of sRGB, which is 93% of AdobeRGB. Nothing to do with your display or adapter.
Old 14th May 2024, 13:49   #64769  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No. It is simply assuming the Windows default color space of sRGB, which is 93% of AdobeRGB. Nothing to do with your display or adapter.
So it's a transfer function mapping SRGB tone curve into 2084 ?

Is that the correct understanding, Smodian?
Old 14th May 2024, 14:03   #64770  |  Link
huhn

it assumes sRGB.
so it does sRGB to linear and then to PQ which will ruin the tonecurve for stuff that doesn't have a sRGB curve which is pretty much every video.
Old 14th May 2024, 17:23   #64771  |  Link
tp4tissue

Does it do that outside of the HDR mode? Assumes SRGB?

In HDR, if it's assuming srgb, will it compress gamut as well.
Old 14th May 2024, 18:39   #64772  |  Link
huhn

yes it assumes sRGB but is does nothing in sdr mode.
Old 14th May 2024, 22:18   #64773  |  Link
Sunspark

I wondered because some people with laptops had a reading lower than 100%. I would need a calibrator to verify the reading but thought if someone has it installed it might be interesting for them to look in that location to see what it says their display is.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 22:31   #64774  |  Link
huhn

why wouldn't it be?
the steam decks screen is so bad it's like 70%
Old 15th May 2024, 15:25   #64775  |  Link
Amuat

Do all of you people really see only "trash on the screen" when watching SDR content with HDR on? I compared them again multiple times to be absolutely sure, but there simply is no difference. This is reality for me no matter what the theory predicts, no sense arguing about it. Makes me wonder though what could be the reason for this if it actually is radically different for other people.

And what is it exactly that you see? Is it like trying to watch DV content without the proper software, washed out and extremely distorted colors? That could legitimately be called trash on the screen.

Last edited by Amuat; 15th May 2024 at 15:53.
Old 15th May 2024, 16:06   #64776  |  Link
Charky

If it looks good to your eyes and you enjoy it, where is the problem?

Personally, I appreciate a moderate level of motion interpolation (around 4/10 on an LG OLED). Surprisingly, certain self-proclaimed purists seem to take offense at this preference and think I should be murdered. Who cares? Fuck them: it's my setup.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 17:19   #64777  |  Link
Amuat

That is exactly my attitude, but I'm still quite curious what is going on here from a technical point of view. And regarding motion interpolation, hell, I have completely maximized it. It felt immediately completely natural to me (unlike madVR's smooth motion, which I find extremely jarring), and when watching a video without it it feels what I imagine reality would look like if its "fps" suddenly took a nosedive. But to each their own.
Old 15th May 2024, 22:46   #64778  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
If it looks good to your eyes and you enjoy it, where is the problem?

Personally, I appreciate a moderate level of motion interpolation (around 4/10 on an LG OLED). Surprisingly, certain self-proclaimed purists seem to take offense at this preference and think I should be murdered. Who cares? Fuck them: it's my setup.
You actually kind of need a little because OLED suffers from "stutter", which I think is because of the sample and hold effect or something along those lines... Mainly noticeable in high contrast motion scenes. I prefer a setting of 2/10.... played around with 3/10, but it started to veer too close to the soap-opera-effect.

edit: Found this explanation
Quote:
What is an OLED stutter?
This is different from Judder. The cause is playing back low frame rate content, such as 24p, with a very fast response time display. Because an OLED shows the frame so quickly, the time between the frames, about 42ms for 24p, is significant and it stutters.Jan 30, 2024
QB

Last edited by QBhd; 15th May 2024 at 22:50.
QBhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 23:47   #64779  |  Link
mclingo

Agreed I also used a little bit of interpolation as the refresh rate of the pixels on oled is so quick there is no blurring between frames like lcd which can make low frame rate movies look jarring on panning shots. However I've turned all mine off now because I decided to try using smooth motion in MadVR, I always hated it but I thought I would try it again recently and it seemed to be better. I've now been using it for a couple of weeks and I'm completely used to it now my much prefer this to frame rate matching as I often find with some videos at 30 and 50 Hertz I get skips and judders even though madvr is showing no frame skips or repeats,it's probably my tv or my receiver but I've never found a fix for this beyond using Smooth motion.

Smooth motion is definitely not for everyone though, I absolutely hated it back in the day I don't know whether it's been updated or changed with recent updates, it was absolutely unwatchable for me before it seems pretty decent now.
Old 16th May 2024, 02:07   #64780  |  Link
tp4tissue

I thought smooth motion is only for non integer multiples of 23.976/24fps. Does it do anything in integer multiples?

I use 119.88 and 120hz on my oled for movies for near-perfect-cadence.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling