Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th October 2023, 16:17   #64361  |  Link
clsid

One of the known issues that is listed for that Windows insider build is:
Quote:
Some popular games may not work correctly on the most recent Insider Preview builds in the Canary Channel. Please be sure to submit feedback in Feedback Hub on any issues you see with playing games on these builds.
MadVR uses similar DirectX APIs as games. So report issue to Microsoft.
Old 17th October 2023, 16:18   #64362  |  Link
JohnRo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Try it with the time-limited betas that are still being released. http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure179.zip
i've used that one and that's the crash error
JohnRo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2023, 17:33   #64363  |  Link
oldmanjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjk View Post
Is there any way to "process HDR content by using an external 3DLUT" anymore? I want to use a 3DLUT for HDR calibration, but I also want static tone mapping. Is this possible anymore?
Can madVR handle HDR to HDR LUTs anymore?
oldmanjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2023, 04:46   #64364  |  Link
JohnRo79

Quote:
Can madVR handle HDR to HDR LUTs anymore?
is this any help to you?
Old 18th October 2023, 17:58   #64365  |  Link
oldmanjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRo79 View Post
Thanks for responding. I don't know if that helps. What am I looking at? Is that how you do static tone mapping with an HDR-to-HDR 3DLUT? Where'd you get this? Any more information is greatly appreciated ������

If all you're doing is showing me the "tone map HDR using external 3DLUT" option, no, that doesn't help. If I put an HDR-to-HDR 3DLUT in there, it treats it like an HDR-to-SDR 3DLUT with terrible results. It used to work in 0.92.16, but that version has unresolved bugs like making everything red. I'm wondering if the feature has been stripped

Last edited by oldmanjk; 18th October 2023 at 18:14.
Old 18th October 2023, 22:19   #64366  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Re failure to switch correctly in hdr mode, this is often caused by botched settings after a gpu swap. Delete your settings.bin in the madvr folder, delete your madvr settings in the registry, run the “reset to default settings” batch file in admin mode and reenter your settings. That always solves it (as well as the key shortcuts for profiles not working) for me.
Yeah I have removed my settings bin, and also ran the .bat file as administrator so as to start madVR from scratch. Ran DDU on my 4090 system and installed the latest drivers from scratch. Nothing seems to fix madVR not somehow working nicely with the TVs HDR mode. If I do manually set windows to use HDR (which I don't want to leave permanently on) before the movie, it all looks great. Its when madVR does that HDR switch, its definitely looking very weird showing lots of banding etc.

Do you guys know if madshi is still open to looking into such issues or do we just have to live with anything like this we find going forward? In the 'old days' he would probably have a build out within a few days that 'fixes' it
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2023, 18:55   #64367  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Do you guys know if madshi is still open to looking into such issues or do we just have to live with anything like this we find going forward? In the 'old days' he would probably have a build out within a few days that 'fixes' it
No fixes for these kinds of things in a long time, I am afraid.
Old 19th October 2023, 18:59   #64368  |  Link
oldmanjk

Asmodian, you seem like an expert. Do you know the answer to my question?
Old 19th October 2023, 20:03   #64369  |  Link
Asmodian

JohnRo79 showed you where to put the 3DLUT. This is where Calman puts my HDR to HDR 3DLUTs during calibration. Make sure to set the metadata sent to the display correctly (same as used during calibration).

The functionality has not been removed.
Old 20th October 2023, 05:07   #64370  |  Link
oldmanjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
JohnRo79 showed you where to put the 3DLUT. This is where Calman puts my HDR to HDR 3DLUTs during calibration. Make sure to set the metadata sent to the display correctly (same as used during calibration).

The functionality has not been removed.
That's where I already have the 3DLUT. That's where displaycal put it. What should the metadata be set to? I have it set to P3 and 10,000 nits, which is what I used during calibration, unless it wants BT.2020
It doesn't work. madVR treats it like an HDR to SDR 3DLUT
It works in 0.92.16, but that has unfixed bugs like making everything red. The later versions I've tried don't work

Last edited by oldmanjk; 20th October 2023 at 17:10. Reason: Add more information
Old 20th October 2023, 19:18   #64371  |  Link
JohnRo79

Quote:
That's where I already have the 3DLUT. That's where displaycal put it. What should the metadata be set to? I have it set to P3 and 10,000 nits, which is what I used during calibration, unless it wants BT.2020
It doesn't work. madVR treats it like an HDR to SDR 3DLUT
It works in 0.92.16, but that has unfixed bugs like making everything red. The later versions I've tried don't work
have you done this?
Old 23rd October 2023, 16:19   #64372  |  Link
oldmanjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRo79 View Post
I can't do that because that's where I have my SDR LUTs. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'm looking into mpv now, which seems to have this capability and more
Old 23rd October 2023, 19:09   #64373  |  Link
clsid

Click on "create profile group" and you can make multiple settings profiles for a device. Like one for HDR and one for SDR.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...17#post1271417
Old 24th October 2023, 15:02   #64374  |  Link
Amuat

K-Lite Codec Pack

Have you installed MPC-HC and madVR as part of the K-Lite Codec Pack installer? Do you see any tangible benefits with the additions (Full or Mega)? And if you have NVIDIA, did you change the 3D settings for MPC-HC as recommended? I don't know if it is VSync (probably that) or adaptive power saving (I have Finnish Windows so hopefully I got the terms right), but for me they just made it more buggy and unstable.
Amuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2023, 18:26   #64375  |  Link
clsid

You can use whatever NVIDIA settings work best for you. But if things are unstable then you should probably try a different version of the driver. If you get stuttering or frame drops, then you maybe need to reduce MadVR settings.
Old 1st November 2023, 14:33   #64376  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

What is the suggested filter to downscale anime? I am currently using lanczos but any hint from higher experience users is welcome.
Old 2nd November 2023, 05:29   #64377  |  Link
fotb

My TV updated and created itself as a new device in MadVR settings. I have now lost all my settings since its now left under the old device. Is there a work around to move my settings from old device over to the new created device without entering them all over again?
fotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2023, 18:05   #64378  |  Link
Sunspark

@tormento I like to use Mitchell-Netravali anti-ringing for both chroma and image scaling down (have linear light on for downscaling) and up for both anime and regular video. It's an algorithm that gives good visual results with low system resources required. This algorithm in particular can also hide a small amount of source artifacts, which may be a bonus with older material. It's easy for me to make this recommendation because I don't have an RTX 4070 so in a way I have no choice, but in all seriousness, it is a good one that is overlooked because it is old. I don't like algorithms that make colours look too "hot"/saturated or the image too contrasty/sharp, etc.

@fotb No, but there also aren't a lot of settings either if you never made scripts or fancy elaborate profiles like some here do. You can still open the old greyed-out entries. Just scroll back and forth between the two, or copy the app window to the clipboard and paste it into paint and look between the two as you duplicate the settings. You only need to do it once and it won't take long.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2023, 19:55   #64379  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
What is the suggested filter to downscale anime? I am currently using lanczos but any hint from higher experience users is welcome.
ssim tweak it to your liking it can target pretty much everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotb View Post
My TV updated and created itself as a new device in MadVR settings. I have now lost all my settings since its now left under the old device. Is there a work around to move my settings from old device over to the new created device without entering them all over again?
try drag and drop on the new one this should combine them i never tested that backup your settings first.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2023, 22:20   #64380  |  Link
fotb

try drag and drop on the new one this should combine them i never tested that backup your settings first.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that functions seems to work only within profile groups of each individual device and not globally across devices
fotb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling