Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th February 2024, 20:08   #64561  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
ddjmagic:
Are you sure it's it switches to HDR mode for SDR and not that your graphic driver or video decoder is set to output a limited range? (there's a setting for this both in the GPU driver settings and sometimes in the video decoder codec).
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madVR doesn't care about this part like ranges in codecs it usually get's limited range from the decoder just as it should be.
the adjust video colours settings are also ignored by madVR.
the range settings for the HDMI signal are surely something that could be amiss

it also shouldn't be able to enter HDR mode with SDR files...
Yes, for SDR content Windows 11 and the TV both show as now in HDR mode and MadVR Ctrl + J shows it as HDR too, as soon as I stop playback it switches back.
If I switch to EVR CP instead of MadVR then SDR is back to normal and works as expected, Windows and the TV then don't switch to HDR.

Last edited by ddjmagic; 14th February 2024 at 20:10.
ddjmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 07:16   #64562  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perenista View Post
Having problems with madVR:

- Using Windows 11 and RTX 3060.
- HDR is disabled for my Acer XV280K-B monitor, which uses 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz.

Whenever I open a UHD/4K lossless MKV file, it seems the entire monitor image goes darker and gray (?), flickering once. Is that a failed attempt to enable HDR?

I reseted madVR settings (using the installation directory BAT), but that didn't help.

So I have to watch everything now with the MPC Video Decoder.

What should I do to fix this? It wasn't like that before. And my NVidia card uses the latest drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/commen...disabling_hdr/

This thread seems to suggest this is some sort of conflict between these cards and madVR, to a point we can NEVER disable HDR.

When I try to open one of the 4K files, this is what it says:

MPC-BE x64 1.6.11
Filters currently loaded:
- Default DirectSound Device
- madVR Renderer
- ffdshow Audio Processor
- LAV Video Decoder
- Audio Switcher
- LAV Audio Decoder
- LAV Splitter Source

The problem also affects MPC-HC. The entire monitor goes gray.

A few configs:

LAV: https://i.postimg.cc/z5fz3fRw/LAV.jpg

MPC Video Decoder: https://i.postimg.cc/YMGtfyRh/MPCV.jpg

Note: all internal filters (from MPC) were disabled.

madVR stats:

https://i.postimg.cc/sy2TLktD/MADVR.jpg

P.S. Following this (read below) didn't help, either: https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/commen...clavmadvr_hdr/

-Update: fixed it.
Uninstalled K-Lite fully.
Rebooted to be safe.
If using Nvidia Studio drivers, switch over to Game Ready, as these include Win 11 support.
Reboot to be safe.
Install K-Lite. Do some basic config.
Fixed. (hopefully!)
Not even a clean install (followed by formatting) solved this... Until I tried a few more times and found the correct option:

As explained here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/commen...tes_hdr_on_my/

There's just one little detail... madVR does not recognize my Acer 4K monitor, so it does not show this option anywhere in the internal settings. Even after I select "digital monitor", still doesn't show.

For some odd reason, all these inside the circle:

https://i.postimg.cc/gz4mLLJb/OPTIONS.jpg

Only appeared after I used the option "create profile group", then played a few videos (one of them a 4K/UHD MKV (movie) extracted from the original disc)... so what's the catch?

Do we need to play a few videos or wait for that option from the 1st screenshot magically appears? Because it wasn't in my first visit to madVR internal settings.

If these options are hidden and never appear when we need, we can't configure anything.

Also: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ed-out-colors/

This post seems to hint in my case I need to check this out:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128

When I looked into NVidia's control panel (from the RTX 3060), it said

https://i.postimg.cc/mkgbhMJV/NVIDIA.jpg

Output Dynamic Range (LIMITED, not full)
And Output Color Depth = 8 bpc

What I first tried as evidenced before was to totally disable HDR while using madVR... to be able to turn it on with this cheap monitor it's another scenario. Before I finally figured out today, I was only using MPC-BE with the MPC Video Decoder.

Last edited by Perenista; 15th February 2024 at 17:34.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 09:04   #64563  |  Link
huhn

just install 205 that is the win 11 bug.
https://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR/old-versions

i hope.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 14:15   #64564  |  Link
Amuat

Went through this guide (https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787) again, and it says the following:

"activate only if it comes for free (as part of NGU): [Disabled] Only runs RCA if it can be run as part of NGU image upscaling. Requires NGU Sharp high for medium quality and NGU Sharp very high for high quality."

Does this mean that for medium quality NGU Sharp needs to be high both for the chroma upscaling section and both luma and chroma on the image upscaling section?

And another question: disregarding the need to have reduce compression artifacts at a certain quality, how would you set the priority for these three if you would need to compromise: chroma upscaling in its own section, chroma upscaling on the image upscaling section, and finally dithering? I predict the answer is going to be "it depends", but in that case, could you elucidate on what exactly it depends on?

P.S. Thank you clsid for the tip on Codec Tweak Tool!
Amuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 22:38   #64565  |  Link
gendalv

Is there a way to disable madVR on higher resolution (1080p+) videos and use EVR of d3d11 instead? My playback of 4k videos is lagging with it, and it's not that necessary on higher quality videos anyway.
gendalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 16:45   #64566  |  Link
Sunspark

@gendalv No, you need to either manually toggle which video renderer you want to use before starting playback, or install a second player and switch to it.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 18:12   #64567  |  Link
clsid

You can create profiles in madvr. Then you can use less heavy settings for high resolution video.
Old 18th February 2024, 21:15   #64568  |  Link
HillieSan

Hi. I am using an RTX 3060 Ti with madvr. I hear distortion (cracking noise) in the audio (through receiver) when I play a movie in MPC BE with madvr on NGU sharp very high. Even when I pause the movie and hover the mouse over MPC BE I hear distortion. No distortion when playing Netflix. Any idea what could cause this?
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 05:34   #64569  |  Link
huhn

sadly the answer is that's pretty normal.
the gpu is under some to heavy load which distorts the DC 12V rail modern PSU only have one of these usually meaning all devices get a distorted DC 12V.
this is usually not filtered at all so it is send over HDMI (not as 12v obviously) the digital data is still 100 % readable but the AVR usually just throws that at the dac for what ever reason and it will distort the audio.

if your TV PJ has eARC you can try that maybe it will filter the signal first. make sure the PC is not connected at all.

the stereo dac in monitors are usually perfectly filtered this doesn't make the dacs good but distortion is usually gone. why this is not the case for onboard audio or AVR i don't know.

be careful you are not mixing this up with a ground loop this a 50-60 Hz buzzing this needs different handling.
Old 19th February 2024, 21:35   #64570  |  Link
HillieSan

Thanks for the reply. Itís not a ground loop. I have just tried a netfilter on the PC and an optical hdmi cable. The anomalies are the same. It must be in the graphics card at highest performance (NGU sharp very high).

How does madvr perform on amd graphics cards nowadays, or does madvr still perform best on nvidia graphics cards? Does the RTX 4060 make a difference?
Old 19th February 2024, 23:06   #64571  |  Link
clsid

Or just try NGU high instead of very high. The difference is so minimal that you probably can't even see the difference.
Old 19th February 2024, 23:46   #64572  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Or just try NGU high instead of very high. The difference is so minimal that you probably can't even see the difference.
This. Very high is usually a waste of resources. Give your card a break.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 06:34   #64573  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
Thanks for the reply. Itís not a ground loop. I have just tried a netfilter on the PC and an optical hdmi cable. The anomalies are the same. It must be in the graphics card at highest performance (NGU sharp very high).
my 4060 has this problem close to idle so hmmm.

Quote:
How does madvr perform on amd graphics cards nowadays, or does madvr still perform best on nvidia graphics cards? Does the RTX 4060 make a difference?
amd usual performance better then nvidia except for polaris. but tests haven't been done in a long time with newer navi cards or nvidia cards.
beware of some feature issue like been unable to flag an HDMI stream as bt 2020 and the more broken deint.

my 4060 is the worst with this issue i have encountered in my life.
i have to grab my asus essence stx and use that nightmare of a soundcard again. with all of it's countless flaws it was always able to beat issues like this like they never exist. and i have an creative AE-5 in right now in hope it would do something about this... well it was good enough with the 5700 xt and 1060.
Quote:
good point different load on the card can minimise or remove this issue. i forgot to point this very important workaround out.

and VH is just a general waste.
Old 20th February 2024, 07:56   #64574  |  Link
strumf666

Quote:
sadly the answer is that's pretty normal.
the gpu is under some to heavy load which distorts the DC 12V rail modern PSU only have one of these usually meaning all devices get a distorted DC 12V.
this is usually not filtered at all so it is send over HDMI (not as 12v obviously) the digital data is still 100 % readable but the AVR usually just throws that at the dac for what ever reason and it will distort the audio.
It's not normal, it indicates a problem, probably with the graphics card VRM.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 10:50   #64575  |  Link
HillieSan

Setting madvr from very high to high helped a bit. Still some distortion when I hover with the mouse over mpc be. Could it be related to mpc be? Is there a better player with madvr?
Old 20th February 2024, 11:14   #64576  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
It's not normal, it indicates a problem, probably with the graphics card VRM.
i didn't have a single card in my life that doesn't have this problem.
and no as long as the card is within spec it can ruin the power signal as much as it pleases. modern GPU and especially zen CPU switch the Volt in such a fast pace no signal will keep it's integrity.

filtering the signal is not the job of the GPU. the digital signal is still bit perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
Setting madvr from very high to high helped a bit. Still some distortion when I hover with the mouse over mpc be. Could it be related to mpc be? Is there a better player with madvr?
if you just replace the GPU get another one. same for board and PSU.

still sounds like a fix you are not hovering and moving your mouse in playback.
Old 20th February 2024, 11:40   #64577  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Then why does "very high" exist in the scaling options?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 11:51   #64578  |  Link
huhn

because it is technically better. same for nnedi3 256.

for 480p you may see a difference between then not saying you can tell them a part but a difference is still there.
Old 20th February 2024, 13:28   #64579  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
because it is technically better. same for nnedi3 256.

for 480p you may see a difference between then not saying you can tell them a part but a difference is still there.
What about 1080p to 2160p?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 14:18   #64580  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Then why does "very high" exist in the scaling options?
In crude words? To make your d*ck feel longer thx to placebo effect.

Take a couple of minutes, take screenshots, and tell us if you see the difference in actual content at viewing distance. If you can't (and you most likely won't), then it's a pure waste of watts.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling