Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2021, 14:49   #1  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Desktop processor and motherboard specifically for transcoding audio.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I want to buy a new pc with processor and motherboard which are manufactured specifically for audio and video.

From the past few years I am using my system to convert MP3 songs to m4a files as m4a file takes less memory space using tools like foobar and ffmpeg and the quality is acceptable.

At present my system is not working properly and so I have decided to buy a new PC and searched web for processor with specific audio dsp.

In the Intel website they have specified that they have developed Intel HD audio and windows is implementing Intel's HD audio into their os as UAA. They have even specified some chpisets.

In the amd website they have specified that they have incorporated a technology called true audio into their ryzen processors.

Unfortunately starting price of ryzen processor is high and so I have searched for another processor and found amd Athlon A 3000G perfectly suits for my current need and also affordable. The disadvantage is it doesn't have true audio.

Amd ryzen processors costs high but those has many advanced features like Zen instruction set, true audio, integrated Radeon graphics etc., which cannot be found in Intel and even in the other family of amd processors.

At present I am using PC with amd fx 4100 bulldozer processor and it has 8mb l3 cache and with DDR3 ram. But my PC doesn't have specific audio component.

As I am going to buy a new PC according to my needs I also want to buy a new sound card to transcode MP3 songs to m4a files.

If I transcode the same audio mp3 file using the same foobar and ffmpeg in two systems one is normal and another is a PC with highly tuned processor which has true audio or Intel HD audio. Is there any difference in the quality of the audio file generated between the two files with the same transcoder software like foobar and ffmpeg and with the audio dsp.

Please try to answer the above question ie., Is there any role of the audio dsp present in PC during the audio transcoding process. Some has argued that there is no specific role of processor or audio dsp during transcoding process because the transcoder like ffmpeg is an algorithm. Is it true.

If your answer is there is " yes there is the part of audio dsp circuit during the transcoding process ". Please try to suggest a nice audio dsp which is affordable and which can be inserted into the pci slot of my system.

My another question is " Is there any need to buy a processor which has technology such as true audio or Intel HD audio specifically for transcoding process.".

I have created this thread because I am not familiar as you with audio dsp circuits etc.,.

Regards,
Rupesh.,
rupeshforu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 14:51   #2  |  Link
jlw_4049

No need. Any core can encode with the same quality.

Also you're encoding a lossy format to another lossy format so you don't need any high end audio tech

If you're purely encoding audio which takes little to no processing power you could just get a used dell inspiron, literally any core could do it. A dual core would be plenty.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 15:15   #3  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Ok I will buy a pc with normal processor but some people argued a lot that there is a lot of role of the encoder being used and you must configure your sound card to get optimal output.

Previously I have encoded the MP4 file which is captured in android smartphone in two systems one which is old and another which has latest Radeon graphics and the new system generated quickly and old didn't. There was a small difference in the quality of two files. Some people even suggested that x265 video transcoding is not good in older system which lower version of Radeon graphics.

Can I expect same to happen in the audio transcoding process.

Even some people argued that encoder like fdkaac is just an algorithm and it works same in any PC. Is it true try to answer this particular question correctly.
Old 30th October 2021, 15:45   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
Can I expect same to happen in the audio transcoding process.
No, the GPU does not accelerate audio encoding.

jlw_4049 already answered you correctly.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 16:38   #5  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Thanks for your clarification.
Old 30th October 2021, 16:39   #6  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Can I think that the only role of true audio and Intel HD audio is producing good sound through speakers. If anything else please try to specify.
Old 30th October 2021, 16:47   #7  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Yes, that is mostly correct. Other things you can find through a little research. Bottom line is that audio encoding is not hardware accelerated on GPUs, which is what you seemed to be asking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_TrueAudio

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ion-audio.html

Last edited by videoh; 30th October 2021 at 16:50.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 17:18   #8  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Thanks for your patience and positive response.
Old 30th October 2021, 19:07   #9  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
No, the GPU does not accelerate audio encoding.
AFAIK there is a flac cuda build but I've never tried it.
Old 31st October 2021, 21:13   #10  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
FlaCuda is probably a world's first CUDA-enabled FLAC encoder. It's opensource and licensed under LGPL. Newer versions of FlaCuda use OpenCL instead of CUDA, adding support for AMD GPUs.
http://cue.tools/wiki/FLACCL
it's quite a while since I tested it, but back then it worked.
Old 7th November 2021, 08:44   #11  |  Link
rupeshforu3

I have searched for processor in Intel and Amd website's and found that they are selling two kinds of processors ie., With integrated graphics and other without any graphics integrated.

I have found that processors without GPU costs less and even provide better performance than the processors which have integrated graphics.

suppose I choose i5 10400f which doesn't have any integrated graphics. I must buy a graphics card.

As I am not a gamer I don't want high end graphics and so I want an entry level graphics card which is compatible with my processor.

Can you specify any entry level graphics card which can work with my system and provide output to monitor.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 7th November 2021, 10:49   #12  |  Link
tebasuna51

Like you I'm not a gamer and have a low end graphics card show in the image.

It have a pasive cooler, without fans, to override any extra sound when play.
Check the memory type, better GDDR5.
Compatibility: Motherboard with one or above PCI-Express x 16 slot
Don't need extra power supply (only 20 W).

Support 2 screens (a monitor 1080 and a TV 2160) and can play without problems HEVC 2160.

Here I can buy it now at 105€ (in 2019 only 68€)
There are also a more old (2013) GT 730 at 85€ but I don't test it.
Attached Images

Last edited by tebasuna51; 7th November 2021 at 12:04. Reason: add info
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2021, 14:43   #13  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Ok thanks

Old 7th November 2021, 19:05   #14  |  Link
huhn

just take a CPU with a iGPU in this case.

they cost less compared to an external card and the perforamcne differenace is meaningless.
in terms of power there is no dGPU that even gets close to a iGPU.

AMD APU are usually slower than a comparable CPU (core number, GHZ and tech) this is not the case for intel where a F CPU simply doesn't have an iGPU but the rest is identical.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2021, 03:43   #15  |  Link
junh1024

I would agree with huhn, you can buy a CPU w/i GPU for audio conversion or general use, it would save money & power overall than buying separately.

The latest intel/AMD CPU w/i GPUs should do a OK job, even with gaming, multiple monitors, and openGL/CL.
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2021, 06:07   #16  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Are there any external graphics cards compatible with the latest amd ryzen or Intel with 1gb memory.

I think that 1 gb memory graphics card costs less.

Old 8th November 2021, 10:00   #17  |  Link
tebasuna51

The graphical cards must be compatible with Motherboard (PCI) and Screen (conector VGA, DVI, HDMI), no problem with processor.
Of course there are cheap cards (until 20€), check offers in your country.
There are also Motherboards with graphics in board, without need graphics card.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 8th November 2021 at 10:09.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2021, 10:04   #18  |  Link
junh1024

We have a case study of Intel i3 CPUs with iGPU & no iGPU (F models): https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...63vs4259vs4175

With no iGPU, you save about $40, but the cheapest new GPU with 1GB VRAM is $50 (MSI 710 GT) https://www.newegg.com/p/1FT-0009-00169
On top of that, there is a running cost of extra $40/year due to extra discrete GPU.

Conclusion: buying a low-end CPU (no iGPU) & GPU separately will not really save money, but will actually cost more, due to extra electricity costs.
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2021, 11:40   #19  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Thanks for your suggestions

Old 8th November 2021, 11:42   #20  |  Link
rupeshforu3

In the following link they specified some of the amd GPUs.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_Rx_300_series

In this page they specified that Radeon R5 330 is the entry level.

Where I can find Radeon R5 330 graphics card.

Tags
audio dsp, transcode audio