Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th March 2023, 16:51   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

How to remove the frame-packing tag from an AVC stream ?

Some users of BD3D2MK3D have reported issues with their hardware players (notably Oculus) when the tag --frame-packing has been specified when encoding the video with x264. Although that tag is supposed to help the players to determine that the movie is in 3D and what is its 3D packing mode, it seems that the players are confused and display the decoded image incorrectly. Re-encoding the same movie without the tag (and muxing it without the --stereo-mode option of the MKV container) solves the problem.

Of course, it is a pain to have to re-encode the movie entirely. It's why I wonder if there is a tool that can remove that tag without re-encoding. (It would even be better if it is possible to modify the video stream without demuxing it from its MKV container, but I guess it's not possible.)

Any help will be much appreciated.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 17:19   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

SOLVED !

I have received an email from a user without access to this forum (yet?), to let me know that Videofan3D has written a CLI tool, h264Modify.exe, that should do exactly what I need. Thanks to him, and of course, to Videofan3D (who wrote also the excellent FRIMSource Avisynth plugin, already used by BD3D2MK3D to decrypt the 3D AVC+MVC video streams).
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote