Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 16th November 2020, 18:32   #21  |  Link
MIGLIO74

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
Transfers of 8mm film to SD resolution results in black bars. Transfer of Super 8 film to standard SD resolution should fit almost perfectly, with no bars.

Transfers of any gauge (8mm, Super 8, 16mm) to standard HD resolution (1920x1080 or 1280x720) will always result in black bars on the side.

So, when you have those black bars, you must remove them prior to doing stabilization because otherwise, as the frame gets shifted back and forth (and up and down) to achieve stability, those black border will wander into the final, stabilized frame and you will get vertical lines and bars.

(You never want to have any black borders around the frame when doing video stabilization).

I realized this early on, and one thing I added to Fred's script was this line of new variables:
Code:
in_bord_left=0  in_bord_top=0  in_bord_right=0  in_bord_bot=0
The "right" and "left" variables are the only ones you need to set. This represents the width of the left and right border that must be temporarily removed before you stabilize the video, but then must be added back in to give you the black bars which are needed in order to display correctly at a standard 720x480 (NTSC DVD) resolution. You will see this variable is used in the script twice: first to crop the video prior to stabilization, and then later to "add_borders" to bring the video back to a standard resolution.

The numbers you use must be mod4 (multiple of 4) and because of a bug that I never tracked down, I was never able to get this to work reliably if the left and right borders don't match. That's too bad because with 8mm transfers in my transfer machine, one border is almost always much larger than the other.

I don't know what final_framerate is. My script uses the variable "play_speed" to set the final playback speed.
thank you for your answer.

I certainly remove the black bars before stabilizing, send to the video script as you suggested 656x480.

so the video is without black band
but the result is this one https://imgur.com/5kHDljD
MIGLIO74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 21:27   #22  |  Link
johnmeyer

I can't help; I have no idea.

Your levels need to be adjusted in order to get rid of that "fog."
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avisynth, film, restoring, scripts, super8