Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 26th April 2015, 11:07   #361  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for your kind words. :-)

Unfortunately, I can't easily implement the option to convert a single chapter. It's mainly because the MVC decoders cannot currently "seek" to a certain point in the original video files. Therefore, all pictures must be decoded sequentially, starting with the first one.

If you want to do a short test, you can easily edit the _ENCODE.cmd file to change the total number of frames to encode. The command to edit looks like this:
Code:
"D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\avs2yuv.exe" ^
  "_ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" -frames 132312 -o - ^
  | "D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" ^
  --crf 20 --preset slower --level 4.1 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 ^
  --threads 4 ^
  --frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 132312 ^
  --output "00801.264" --demuxer y4m --stdin y4m -
As you can see (in blue) the number of frames is present two times (with the x64 option enabled), and you have to change the two occurrences. (If you encode in 32-bit, the number of frames is present only once in the command.)

If you need to encode exactly the first chapter, you can get the number of frames from the the "chapters_3D.qpfile" file. (Each line contains the frame number corresponding to the start of each chapter.)

With that trick, you can easily convert only the beginning of the file. But it is not possible to encode only a segment of the input file that doesn't start at the beginning.

I suggest also to use the "ultrafast" preset in the last tab, if disc space and image quality are not important for your test. You can also change the preset manually in the _ENCODE.cmd file (in purple above).

Last edited by r0lZ; 26th April 2015 at 11:16.
Old 27th April 2015, 04:57   #362  |  Link
sambal

Thank you for your advice, setting the number of frames is fine for my needs. Starting at the beginning is maybe not always what I want, but it will do.
Old 29th April 2015, 11:48   #363  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.64

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I may add an option to *try* to generate a better palette automatically for the 3D subtitles in VobSub format, but I still have to do numerous tests to be sure that that will give relatively good results, and of course to be sure that the result will never be worse than with the default palette. Currently, I'm still not convinced.
OK, I have found a way to generate a better palette to use for conversion of the BD SUP files to VobSub format. That was not easy, but I got it. The problem is that BDSup2Sub uses a very limited set of colours, and requires the colours in a specific order.

The process of analysing all subtitles from the original subtitle file is very long. Therefore, I have added a sub-menu in the Settings menu to select the method to use to generate the palette. There are 3 options:
  • "Use BDSup2Sub Default DVD Palette" doesn't generate a new palette at all. It uses the default palette, like all previous versions of BD3D2MK3D. For best results, you should verify the IDX/SUB file, and if necessary modify the palette manually (with BDSup2Sub's "Edit Default DVD Palette" option).
  • "Analyse a single subtitle" is the recommended method, because it is fast. But it will modify only the two colours used by the single subtitle it has analysed. If there are other subtitles in the same stream that use different colours, they will not be modified, and will therefore still be wrong. However, usually, a subtitle stream uses the same colour for all subtitles, except sometimes some subtitles for the hearing impaired.
  • "Analyse all subtitles" should be used only if you know that the subtitle stream has subtitles in several different colours, or if you don't care wasting several minutes (per stream to analyse).
Note that if a subtitle stream uses, for example, several different yellows, BDSup2Sub will assign the only yellow it has in its palette to the two kind of subtitles, because it has only one yellow available. BD3D2MK3D can't fix that problem, even when using the "analyse all subtitles" option, and therefore it will modify the light and dark yellow slots of the palette with colours suitable for the first yellow it finds in the stream. The subsequent yellow subtitles in the stream may still have wrong colours.

Anyway, I think that with the default option to check a single subtitle only, BD3D2MK3D should already produce much better VobSub streams than before. And of course, if you want perfect subtitles, you should use the BD SUP format instead of VobSub (but take care and verify if your players are compatible with the BD SUP format).

Most of the other modifications in this version are also related to the Palette. For example, I have added a Tool to generate a palette from any subtitle file in BD SUP or XML/PNG format. See the version history for details:
Quote:
# v0.64 (April 29, 2015)
# - Added support for Kodi/xbmc 3D extension strings in the output file name.
# - Added an option to omit the director name in the output file name (for Kodi/xbmc).
# - The BD SUP (PGS) subtitle file format is now the default (in tab 2)
# - New analysis of the subtitles for a better palette when converting the subtitles to VobSub format (2D or 3D).
# - Added the Settings -> VobSub Palette menu to select the palette analysis method.
# - Added an option in Tools -> Convert Subtitles to 3D (with 3D-Planes) to select the palette analysis method.
# - Added Tools -> Generate VobSub Palette from a BD SUP File
# - Tools -> Open Subtitle in BDSup2Sub loads now also the palette.ini file of the same name if it exists.
# - Updated MkvMerge and MkvPropEdit to the latest version (v7.8.0)
# - Updated x265 to the latest build (2015-04-29).
As usual, download the latest version here: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:11   #364  |  Link
Marty

Hi r0lz,

in last version of your soft I have error. I select streams, set up CRF, preset mode etc. (as always) click on Do it! and in few minutes pop up this error message

can't read "outext": no such variable
can't read "outext": no such variable
while executing
"if {$palettefile == "" || ! [file exists $palettefile] || ($outext != "idx" && $outext != "sub")} {
if {[string first "--palette-mode" $options] ==..."
(procedure "ConvertSubs" line 58)
invoked from within
"ConvertSubs $tmp3dxml1 $outfile1 0 false $tohardcode $language 24p 24p $resize720 $palettefilename $::bds2sOptions"
(procedure "ConvertSubtitleTo3DMVCMain" line 198)
invoked from within
"ConvertSubtitleTo3DMVCMain $supfile $sub3dfile $in3dp $sbsformat 1 $::additionaldepth $filter $forced $forceforced $::config(gen_palette) $framerate ..."
(procedure "GenerateAvs" line 990)
invoked from within
"GenerateAvs"
invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen invoke "
invoked from within
".nbf5.gf.gen instate {pressed !disabled} { .nbf5.gf.gen state !pressed; .nbf5.gf.gen invoke } "
(command bound to event)

I tried 3 different movies and same error.
Is somewhere older version BD3D2M3D? In this thread I found only actually version.
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2015, 19:36   #365  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD2D2MK3D v0.65

Oops, sorry. A last minute copy/paste is the culprit.

Here is a fixed version:
Code:
# v0.65 (May 2, 2015)
# - Bug fix:  Error when converting the subtitles to 3D
Thanks for the report!

Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 3rd May 2015, 12:02   #366  |  Link
Marty

Thx for quick fix, works fine. Good work
Old 24th May 2015, 07:30   #367  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.66

The new version of MkvMerge has changed the way it deals with the BD TrueHD+AC3 files. It is now possible to mux opnly the 5.1 AC3 core, or the 7.1 THD, or both. By default, both streams are muxed. Therefore, I had to modify slightly BD3D2MK3D to include only the relevant part, according to the "core" option in tab 2. And I have finally modified many things related to the audio streams, and added several tools.

This version has also some improvements related to the chapter files, and a few bug fixes.

As usual, I have also updated the third party exes, including x265. Please note that since x265 is updated every day, I will continue to update it each time a new version of BD3D2MK3D is released, but I will not announce the update any more.
Quote:
# v0.66 (May 24, 2015)
# - Tools -> Chapters File Converter accepts now also the new Matroska XML file format as input.
# - Added Tools -> Search chapters file at ChapterDB.org (Has chapter files with real chapter names)
# - Added Tools -> Add (or replace) chapters in MKV file to easily add chapters to an exisating MKV/MK3D file.
# - Tab 2: It is now possible to convert the audio streams to AAC.
# - Tools -> Convert Audio File to AC3 can now also convert to AAC.
# - Added Settings -> AAC Conversion Quality menu.
# - The extensions of the demuxed HD and lossless DTS and AC3 audio tracks are now .dtshd, .dtshdma, .eac3 and .thd+ac3 instead of .dts and .ac3.
# - When converting DTS to AC3 or AAC, for best quality, the DTS-HD or DTS-HD-Master tracks are now automaticaly demuxed instead of the DTS core.
# - When muxing a E-AC3 stream with MkvMerge, -a 0 is now added in the _MUX_*D_OPTIONS.txt file, as otherwise the new version of MkvMerge muxes also the 5.1 AC3 core.
# - The labels of the audio tracks contain now "5.1" or "7.1" instread of "Multi-channel".
# - Added Tools -> Extract 5.1 core of HD/lossless audio file (for DTS-HD, DTS-HD-Master or TrueHD files)
# - Bug fix: When muxing DTS-HD, DTS-HD-Master, E-AC3 or TrueHD, the label of the track was errenously DTS or AC3.
# - Bug fix: Crash when converting forced subs only to 3D of a stream without any forced sub (introduced in v0.64)
# - Workaround for a tsMuxeR bug happening when it tries to demux an empty audio stream.
# - Minor cosmetic changes, including a more legible log.
# - Updated the Mkvtoolnix exes to the latest version (v9.7.0 'Birds')
# - As usual, updated x265 to the latest build. (I will not announce these updates any more.)
Have fun!

Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th May 2015 at 07:35.
Old 26th May 2015, 20:53   #368  |  Link
De_Hollander

why is the sup shadowpalet alway's brown/gray ?
I can't change the palit

Old 26th May 2015, 22:09   #369  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The BD SUP format doesn't use the palette. To change the palette, you must save in DVD VobSub (IDX/SUB) format. Change the setting in the "Output format" dropdown at the top of the window.

BTW, why do you need to change it ? Normally, the latest versions of BD3D2MK3D should build and use the right palette automatically.
Old 27th May 2015, 09:39   #370  |  Link
De_Hollander

i now, but i make sup and (IDX/SUB) subs for the half-sbs
it's strange that the black color from the sup changes to brown/grey
I was wondering why is that.

Last edited by De_Hollander; 27th May 2015 at 09:43.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:41   #371  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't understand what's wrong. Currently, BD3D2MK3D tries to generate the best palette, and IMO it works pretty well, although it's still not perfect. The subtitles you have loaded in the image posted in post #368 are well known to cause problems to BDSup2Sub. The problem is that in addition to the (totally) black outline, they use also a grey shadow. When BDSup2Sub uses its internal palette, that shadow is rendered with the default grey, and it is much lighter than the original grey of the outline. Therefore the subtitles look strange, especially when they are displayed over a dark background. That's exactly what the last versions of BD3D2MK3D avoid automatically. With the palette generated by BD3D2MK3D, the shadow has (or at least should have) a colour very similar to the original grey. It's a much darker grey than the one from the internal palette, and the effect of the shadow over a dark background should be satisfactory.

BTW, obviously, you have loaded the original BD SUP, and not the converted VobSub. Therefore, what you see in the image has exactly the same colours than in the BD. BD3D2MK3D cannot be responsible of any change in colours in that subtitle, since it has never modified it. And I don't see any brown colour in your picture. I have verified with an image editor, and the shadow is a pure grey. If it appears somewhat brown, it's probably due to the contrast with the blue background.

To verify if the palette generated by BD3D2MK3D is correct, you should load the BD SUP in BDSup2Sub, then load the palette generated by BD3D2MK3D, and of course set the output format to VobSub. Then you can compare the original subtitle (on top) and the subtitle as it will be if you generate the IDX/SUB file with that palette. You will probably agree that the result is good, if not perfect. (Take in mind that the result cannot be perfect due to the limitations of the VobSub format.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 27th May 2015 at 11:45.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:42   #372  |  Link
De_Hollander

can anyone tell me why some 3d have right eye first
Like A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures and Prometheus

Last edited by De_Hollander; 27th May 2015 at 11:45.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:52   #373  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

There is no precise reason. The director is free to consider that the right view is the main view, perhaps because he thinks that it is better. Normally, in the human vision, the two eyes are equal, and the "perfect 2D view" is the view generated by the brain and corresponding to a "third eye" located exactly between the two eyes. But in the movie, it is too difficult (and expensive) to shot 3 views at the same time, and the director has to select a view for the 2D version of the movie.

The real question is not why is it the right view in some rare cases, but why is it not the right view more often? There is no objective reason to consider that the left view is better than the right one.

In the 3DBDs, the main view must be encoded in AVC, and the dependent view in MVC, because the 2D-only BD players cannot decode MVC. They "see" only the AVC stream, and show it exactly like a 2D BD.

Last edited by r0lZ; 27th May 2015 at 11:54.
Old 1st June 2015, 18:13   #374  |  Link
sambal

Using make 3D tools

I wanted to give some depth to T&B subtitles (IDX/SUB) from a BD that had empty 3D-planes. I tried it with 'Convert subtitles to 3D (fixed depth)" from the 'Tools' menu, but then the L/R subtitles also shifted vertically. I tried this both with SUP and XML/PNG files.
After that I did it with 'Convert subtitles to 3D (with 3D-plane)" and filled in the desired depth in the XML file and this worked fine. (Later I saw that I could have left the XML alone and use the 'additional depth' input, but I didn't try that.)
Is is an bug in your program that the first option had a flawed outcome or did I perhaps do something wrong?

Last edited by sambal; 1st June 2015 at 18:16.
Old 1st June 2015, 19:16   #375  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Good question. Honestly, I don't encode in T&B mode, and I have not used the old conversion method (w/o 3D-planes) since a while. I do not support or develop it any more, and I should have removed it already. (If I have kept it, it's only because it offers the possibility to convert several subtitle streams in one shot.)

Anyway, I did only the GUI and I am not the author of the exe that is used by the old method (suppe3d.exe), and if it doesn't work as expected, I can't fix it because I don't have the sources, and the author is not active any more. So, if it appears that it doesn't work correctly, I will almost certainly remove it.

Can you confirm that your movie is correctly encoded in real 16:9 half-T&B (1920x1080)? If the black borders of a Cinemascope movie have been cropped, it is normal that the vertical position of the subtitles is wrong. Same thing if the movie is encoded in Full-T&B.
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:34   #376  |  Link
sambal

I think I didn't made my problem clear. (English is not my native language..)
It is not that the whole subtitle moves vertically, but the left image is shifted from the right one, so there are two subtitles above each other to be seen at a time. It is not a real problem, as with the 3D-planes method is works fine. I just thought you wrote the routine.
But, if is is an error in the program, you might want to remove the whole option, as there are other methods available.
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:03   #377  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, well, if you create 3D subtitles, there must be two subtitles (stacked vertically for T&B and horizontally for SBS), exactly like the two images of the 3D movie. The 3D subtitles must be handled correctly by the player. They must be printed on the video BEFORE the split of the two images. Unfortunately, many players consider the subtitles as 2D and duplicate them to show the same thing over the two images. That works fine with 2D subtitles, but of course, you can't keep the correct depth that way. With 3D subtitles, you see the subtitle twice (with one subtitle somewhere near the middle of the screen in T&B).

In fact, the best way to display the 3D subtitles on a 3D TV is with an external player that doesn't handle the 3D. The player thinks that the movie and the subtitles are in 3D, and therefore it displays the 3D subtitles "normally", with one subtitle over each view. Then, the TV splits the two views (including the subtitles since it doesn't know that they are there) and display them in 3D. The result is usually perfect (unless the player resizes or moves the subtitles).

However, I'm still not sure I understand you correctly. The two methods of generating the 3D subtitles should give identical results (except that it is possible to use the right depth with the method using the 3D-Planes). If I don't understand you, can you post here a screenshot of the same subtitle generated with the two methods, and explain with that example what are the differences?
Old 10th June 2015, 09:41   #378  |  Link
sambal

I must have done something terribly wrong, cause now everything seems to work fine. I have tried it a couple of times now with different movies, but the error doesn't appear anymore. I am sorry for wasting your time on this matter.

However, there is an other issue I would like to report.
If I choose from a subtitle both its normal and 'forced captions only' versions, I get afterward a message if the 'forced captions only' doesn't exist.
But if I choose the 'forced captions only' without the normal version, I get a message immediately, and the program stops.
Old 10th June 2015, 10:15   #379  |  Link
De_Hollander

I have a collection of over 40 3D bluray movies (left eye first).
some of these original 3D blu-ray's have right eye first.

Blu-ray's Sammy, Drive Angry , dolphin tale, en Prometheus.

When I play these movies the 3D effect seems to be reversed. The best way that I can explain it is that the part of the movie that should be in the foreground is in the background and the background appears to be in the foreground. This effect makes the movie un-watchable.

Pushing the menu you have an option reverse the right eye with the left eye, and then it's oke.
Is this a bug from the mede8er it's don't correct its zelf and play it wrong?
Can't handel the mede8er these blu-ray's with right eye first?
I have the 600x3D with 4.1 beta fimware.

here is an option that it can be adjusted so that it will provide the good display?
I heard with encoding the output gives Left eye first instead of right eye.
is there any way without re - encoding to get it well?

Last edited by De_Hollander; 10th June 2015 at 10:43.
Old 10th June 2015, 11:26   #380  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambal View Post
I must have done something terribly wrong, cause now everything seems to work fine. I have tried it a couple of times now with different movies, but the error doesn't appear anymore. I am sorry for wasting your time on this matter.
Thanks for the confirmation. If you find a way to reproduce the problem, please let me know. Even if you did "something terribly wrong", the program should react correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambal View Post
However, there is an other issue I would like to report.
If I choose from a subtitle both its normal and 'forced captions only' versions, I get afterward a message if the 'forced captions only' doesn't exist.
But if I choose the 'forced captions only' without the normal version, I get a message immediately, and the program stops.
Hum, again I can't reproduce the problem. I just did a small test with a short clip. I have selected the French "forced only" subtitles only, and the program has demuxed the streams, extracted the 3D-Planes from the MVC stream and finally found that there is no forced captions in the French subtit;le stream. At the end of the process, it has displayed this dialog, perfectly normal:
Code:
---------------------------
BD3D2MK3D
Done with warnings!

* No forced captions in "00160.track_4609.Fra_forced.3D.sup"!  Stream skipped.

Launch "_ENCODE.cmd" to encode the video (and optionally mux to MKV).

Use a delay of 5005 ms if you mux the files yourself.

Be sure to verify that there is enough disc space!
OK   
I launched the encode, and finally got the MKV, of course without the forced French subtitles.

I have not tried yet to hardcode the forced subtitles (without selection other subtitles in tab 2), but I guess that the result will be identical.

So, I can't find any problem with the handling of the subtitles. Are you sure you use the latest version (v0.66) ? (I have recently modified many things in the code related to the subtitle streams, and older versions can perhaps have some bugs that are fixed in v0.66.)

Also, what do you mean exactly with "I get a message immediately" ? What is the content of that message ? When does it show up ? Is it at the end of the process, like the "no forced captions" warning, or immediately when you click the Do it! button ?

Note that I have already seen some BD discs with "bad" subtitle streams. Some short clips have subtitle streams totally empty (without forced or standard subtitles at all). In that case, BDSup2Sub errors out with a cryptic error message like "index 0 out of bounds" (or something similar). I have tried to intercept that message, and if it appears, BD3D2MK3D should display an error message similar to the "no forced captions" warning, but since that case is not frequent, I can't be sure that it is correctly handled. Anyway, in that case, the "index 0" message should appear in red in the console, and be in the BD3D2MK3D.log file.

Anyway, again, if you can reproduce the problem, please let me know. And keep the log file. I may need it to understand what's happening.

[EDIT] I did a test with the same short clip, but this time, I have selected no subtitle streams at all in tab 2, and selected the French forced only stream in the "hardcode subtitle on video" option in the last tab. Again, there is a (slightly different) warning at the end of the process, but everything went file, and I have encoded the clip without problem (and of course without hardcoded subtitles). Therefore, I can't find any bug in the handling of the forced subtitles.

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th June 2015 at 13:59.
Closed Thread