Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st August 2011, 16:20   #1  |  Link
Analytic

MPC-HC 1.5.2: Why no fast-forward or reverse?

Sorry if this is a naive question, but why doesn't MPC-HC (as of 1.5.2) have controls for fast-forwarding and reversing through a video? Is it just something that has to be implemented or is there some fundamental issue that currently prevents implementation?

If there is an up-to-date FAQ that addresses this question and others like it, please tell me what it is.

Thanks.
Analytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 20:40   #2  |  Link
Hypernova

Do you mean like a VHS tape? Unfortunately the reversing cannot be done on compressed video file, since it use some forward-only predictions (P-frame) to reduce the information stored. The fast-forwarding is possible. You just increase the playback speed.

I always wish someone would make a player that can workaround this and give us a fast reverse like the old VHS day. The only way to do this, I think, is having another thread go back in the list of I-frames, cache part of the video before the current postion, and show the reverse. Too bad no one find it worth the effort. So you just have to live with skipping back.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:00   #3  |  Link
clsid

Options -> player -> keys -> Jump *
Old 1st August 2011, 23:19   #4  |  Link
Analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Options -> player -> keys -> Jump *
Ok, that's good to know. But then, what I really want to do is be able to trigger the jump back/forward functions with my Windows media remote control. Is there any way of doing that? Other functions work, like pause, stop, next/prev track, etc. but not the fast-forward/reverse. I tried binding the jump medium functions to VK_MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK and VK_MEDIA_PREV_TRACK and pressing either fast-forward/reverse or next/prev track buttons on my remote, but that didn't work. Nor did VK_NEXT, VK_PRIOR.

Any ideas?
Old 1st August 2011, 23:37   #5  |  Link
clsid

Those are bound by default to Next/Previous. So you would need to edit those as well to prevent double bindings.

I don't use a remote, so that is all the help I can give.
Old 7th August 2011, 00:01   #6  |  Link
koliomalinov

I think you will need a program for remote control like girder or uice. The easiest way to do that without such program is if you have up, down, left and right button in the remote control equivalent with these buttons in the keyboard, remap the "jump forward (backward) in keys menu in MPC and you are ready. You can change small, medium or large jump in Tweaks menu in MPC. Hope I understand your question and help.
koliomalinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 00:12   #7  |  Link
Analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliomalinov View Post
I think you will need a program for remote control like girder or uice. The easiest way to do that without such program is if you have up, down, left and right button in the remote control equivalent with these buttons in the keyboard, remap the "jump forward (backward) in keys menu in MPC and you are ready. You can change small, medium or large jump in Tweaks menu in MPC. Hope I understand your question and help.
Thanks, I just heard about LM Remote KeyMap from JanWillem32 in response to a related post (see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...49#post1518049). It works just great. I wasn't able to otherwise find MPC key stroke mappings that worked with my remote's fast forward/reverse buttons.