Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 18th September 2009, 20:10   #1  |  Link
Prthivi

How to transfer video from handycam to computer?

Well, my friend ask me how to convert his Mini DV to wmv. He can only do 1 thing: burn video from handycam to VCD ( with program provided by handycam). He don't know how to transfer the video directly to computer netheir do I. So how to transfer video from handycam to computer? What program should he use to transfer? The handycam is connected to computer via USB. It is Sony handycam.
Prthivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 00:27   #2  |  Link
Skelsgard
foobaring my ass off

For direct digital DV-to-PC transfer your friend is gonna need:
1) a FireWire port (IEEE-1394) on the computer. The USB port won't cut it. And a firewire cable that suits the camcorder's port. The IEEE 1394 port in the PC is basically the same in all PCs so one of the ends of the cable is standard. But the other end, the one that plugs into the camcorder, depends on the camcorder's port (4-pin,6-pin, etc). Take the camcorder with you when buying the cable to make sure your getting the right one.
2) a DV capturing software like WinDV. That's the one I use.
3) about 12-13 Gb per hour of retrieved footage. Is the same as to say 12 Gb per tape.
4) a DV codec for decoding the footage. ffdshow has DV and it's free.
5) your favorite WMV encoding suite.

Good luck
Old 24th September 2009, 09:33   #3  |  Link
Prthivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelsgard View Post
For direct digital DV-to-PC transfer your friend is gonna need:
1) a FireWire port (IEEE-1394) on the computer. The USB port won't cut it. And a firewire cable that suits the camcorder's port. The IEEE 1394 port in the PC is basically the same in all PCs so one of the ends of the cable is standard. But the other end, the one that plugs into the camcorder, depends on the camcorder's port (4-pin,6-pin, etc). Take the camcorder with you when buying the cable to make sure your getting the right one.
2) a DV capturing software like WinDV. That's the one I use.
3) about 12-13 Gb per hour of retrieved footage. Is the same as to say 12 Gb per tape.
4) a DV codec for decoding the footage. ffdshow has DV and it's free.
5) your favorite WMV encoding suite.

Good luck
Thank you Skelsgard.
Another question, can VirtualDub do this capturing? I saw capture in VirtualDub menu.

And is there a program that convert DV to another format on the fly? (when capture)

Last edited by Prthivi; 24th September 2009 at 10:25.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:06   #4  |  Link
Skelsgard
foobaring my ass off

Yes, VirtualDub can do this capturing.
But I haven't been able to do on-fly encoding to another format with VirtualDub, just capturing.

I think the driver does on-the-fly deinterlacing, at least the samples I tested came out deinterlaced after capture.
Old 28th September 2009, 16:46   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prthivi View Post
Well, my friend ask me how to convert his Mini DV to wmv. He can only do 1 thing: burn video from handycam to VCD ( with program provided by handycam).
Why on hell did he bought a MiniDV (a consumer standard that allows a better quality than DVD) if he converts its footages to VCD (a digital standard that is worse than the old analogue VHS)?

A big HDD (say at least 320GB) is not a financial problem, so your friend might use a proggie called WinDV that is small and does a single job but well. 1 hour of DV is about 13GB.

You can then use any software you like to convert the AVIs to WMV (you can also use the free Movie Maker that comes with Windows). Of course, you can use Windows to copy the files (have you clicked on the camcorder icon in Explorer?), but WinDV is better.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 10:09   #6  |  Link
Prthivi

VCD was popular and gradually replace by DVD here. It is still sold. My father still buy it for karaoke.

Unfortunately I am not next to my friend. It's rather difficult to help him.
He said he want to watch it beside on handycam. He has no other way beside converting it to VCD then watch it on TV. Apparently he got many things that have to be learn.

My friend said the popular format for video in computer is wmv. I prefer h.264 tough.

Hmm, big HDD may not be financial problem if you have money and know the benefit of it. Let's see how it goes.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Prthivi; 29th September 2009 at 10:16.

Tags
handycam, minidv, program, transfer