Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th December 2017, 14:57   #421  |  Link
huhn

if i'm not mistaken you always need a bt 709 3d lut but a lot has changed.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 19:56   #422  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes it is fine but that doesn't mean it is optimal. This depends on how linear your display is within the gamut.

It sounds like your BT.2020 3DLUT has a bit more saturated red than your BT.709 one. Without measurements it is hard to know which one is more accurate but I suspect it is the BT.709 one.

When using a 3DLUT for another gamut madVR first uses pixel shader math to convert the source to the other gamut and then runs that through the 3DLUT.
Old 24th December 2017, 20:28   #423  |  Link
iSeries

Thanks guys i've loaded 3dluts for all gamuts
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 17:41   #424  |  Link
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
My low power settings should be a good starting point for a 1060 6GB.
HI, can you pls give-me an help how to setup my madVR v0.92.10 fresh install ? I dont have change anything only setup madVR on MPC-HC.

I have an Gtx 1050 TI 4GB OC gigabyte and connect to a 4k lg, only use to see 1080p and 720p sources.

Thx
Smallville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 01:33   #425  |  Link
Asmodian

My low power settings.bin would be a good place to start. It has profiles you do not need but you can simply ignore them.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:32   #426  |  Link
Smallville

Quote:
My low power settings.bin would be a good place to start. It has profiles you do not need but you can simply ignore them.
Thx, i have try your low power and i have an avergae 21ms rendering, so i try your max and reduce the image upscaling to high and chroma to high quality and have an average 32 ms, im using one 1080p file source full screen (tv show). is there anything i can do to improve or is the best my card gives ?

2 more questions pls

1 - On your profiles you have the 3DLUT files setup how can i do this ? or what i setup here ?

2- on the tv side its better i select my hdmi port has pc source or leave on default ? If i choose the pc side i lost the hdr effect from tv, my tv is an LG 40UJ3634V

THx 4 all
Old 31st December 2017, 03:52   #427  |  Link
Asmodian

Test with 720p content, it is more difficult on a 1080p TV.

1) This is a very large topic. Check out the display calibration thread. I really like Calman for calibration software but it is expensive and you need a meter. DisplayCal is a great free option but you still need a meter. The i1 Display Pro is a good cheap option, ideally combined with an i1 Pro 2.

2) I would use PC (to get 4:4:4 chroma) but I am not sure what you mean by "HDR effect". If it isn't only for HDR content then I would not want it anyway.

Last edited by Asmodian; 31st December 2017 at 05:27.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 23:33   #428  |  Link
White Eagle

Hi.
how to create a 3DLut profile for madVR with sw CalMAN 5 for Business , Some guides, tutorials, to suggest for beginners on the subject ?
White Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:31   #429  |  Link
Smallville

Quote:
Test with 720p content, it is more difficult on a 1080p TV.

1) This is a very large topic. Check out the display calibration thread. I really like Calman for calibration software but it is expensive and you need a meter. DisplayCal is a great free option but you still need a meter. The i1 Display Pro is a good cheap option, ideally combined with an i1 Pro 2.

2) I would use PC (to get 4:4:4 chroma) but I am not sure what you mean by "HDR effect". If it isn't only for HDR content then I would not want it anyway.
Thx for your explanation, im thinking in buy a meter for calibration my tv and monitors etc ... Is the spyder 5 good ? I only want good colors for cinema and play games on tv and monitor.... what you think about Spyder 5 meter ?

Thx
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:00   #430  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Thx for your explanation, im thinking in buy a meter for calibration my tv and monitors etc ... Is the spyder 5 good ? I only want good colors for cinema and play games on tv and monitor.... what you think about Spyder 5 meter ?

Thx
I'd get the XRite Colormunki Display, same HW as i1 Display Pro only slower (but not dead slow, actually it's pretty normal)...however, for your PC monitor, your games and apps need to support system color management or LUTs to take advantage of the meter but it's not ideal as you may get color banding if your monitor is very off standard...it's best to just calibrate any monitor controls there are to their best ability and leave it at that...

Last edited by mytbyte; 2nd January 2018 at 11:11.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:17   #431  |  Link
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
I'd get the XRite Colormunki Display, same HW as i1 Display Pro only slower (but not dead slow, actually it's pretty normal)...however, for your PC monitor, your games and apps need to support system color management or LUTs to take advantage of the meter but it's not ideal as you may get color banding if your monitor is very off standard...it's best to just calibrate any monitor controls there are to their best ability and leave it at that...
Thx for your answer.

I try calibrate my monitor with controls they stay nice but.... if i can get better why not ? But i really want to calibrate my LG tv 4K to wacth movies from my pc connect do hdmi cable some time i dont have the best black color or the best ambient light ... not the best picture .... what i can use to cablibrate my TV ? The XRite Colormunki Display do the work on the tv ?

Thx
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:22   #432  |  Link
huhn

a meter is used to read the image and without knowable and proper Tv settings you will not get proper results.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 15:05   #433  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Thx for your answer.

I try calibrate my monitor with controls they stay nice but.... if i can get better why not ? But i really want to calibrate my LG tv 4K to wacth movies from my pc connect do hdmi cable some time i dont have the best black color or the best ambient light ... not the best picture .... what i can use to cablibrate my TV ? The XRite Colormunki Display do the work on the tv ?

Thx
Since I forgot we are on a MadVR-related thread, yes, it is possible to use free DisplayCAL software to create a LUT to use with MadVR, the software will guide you to set basic white balance and brightness on the menus of the TV and, after many automatic measurement, it will produce a MadVR LUT...but even for that, some read of tutorials is required (there are some around)...sadly, you won't get good black from an LG unless it's an OLED, however you calibrate

Last edited by mytbyte; 2nd January 2018 at 15:09.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:47   #434  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
sadly, you won't get good black from an LG unless it's an OLED, however you calibrate
To nitpick, I like to watch things in a dark room at a 35 degree viewing angle. I don't like peak nit of 120 during these viewing periods as it's simply for to bright for my eyes. Movies aren't so bad I guess, but the TV is linked to a htpc.

I find 52 nits suitable. It's a slight reduction in contrast ratio but nets a black level of 0.045 cd/m2. This black level is probably just inside the 'good' region. I hate grey more then I despise the low peak nit.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:02   #435  |  Link
mytbyte

@audionut: you aren't nitpicky enough, you should really drop it to 48 nits to match the cinema calibration standard...
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:21   #436  |  Link
Isley

@Asmodian

Thank for compiling all this useful info. I have a question about your settings.bin file : seems the SD content I have is mostly European PAL DVDs, are the auto-select rules going to work well since PAL and NTSC dvds don't have the same resolution and framerate ?
Isley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:58   #437  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, all my profiles use SD for anything equal to or below 1024x576 to account for widescreen PAL DVDs.
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:03   #438  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
The XRite Colormunki Display do the work on the tv ?
Yes, these meters work as well for TVs as for monitors. I also recommend the colormunki over the spyder but the spyder 5 is acceptable. I think the i1d3 is worth it over the colormunki but go with XRite if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
I find 52 nits suitable. It's a slight reduction in contrast ratio but nets a black level of 0.045 cd/m2. This black level is probably just inside the 'good' region. I hate grey more then I despise the low peak nit.
I like 100 nits (103 nits at last calibration) for my dark room viewing, 120 is a too bright in a dark room but 80 or below is less vibrant. Of course, with OLED, I get 0.000 cd/m2 blacks.

Last edited by Asmodian; 3rd January 2018 at 19:05.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 01:40   #439  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
@audionut: you aren't nitpicky enough, you should really drop it to 48 nits to match the cinema calibration standard...
A recent new GPU resulted in the iDisplay3 being removed from storage, resulted in the partner rolling her eyes with an exasperated "omg this takes ages".

That standard is exactly what I targeted when I realized I needed something to help me with the facts of my shitty display. "It's a cinema display".

Quote:
I like 100 nits (103 nits at last calibration) for my dark room viewing, 120 is a too bright in a dark room but 80 or below is less vibrant. Of course, with OLED, I get 0.000 cd/m2 blacks.
OLED is the next upgrade. I'm wondering if I'll need sunglasses for the HDR aspect (700+ nits). I think I'll need a liaison officer first to help me run it past the minister of finance.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:25   #440  |  Link
Isley

Quote:
Yes, all my profiles use SD for anything equal to or below 1024x576 to account for widescreen PAL DVDs.
Good thinking

Another question : I noticed all your profiles had deinterlacing turned off. Does it mean you do the deinterlacing with the decoder? In my case it would be MPC's internal LAV filter.
Isley is offline   Reply With Quote