Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 21st May 2021, 05:31   #30641  |  Link
Lathe

So, back to my earlier, dumber questions...

Is there any way for me to use my Radeon RX 590 Fatboy video card for encoding (probably not...)

And, again, what is the deal with the two x264.exe's in the BDRB Tools folder? The x264L-64.exe and the x264-64.exe? What is the purpose again for having both of these, and are these the most current versions of the encoder?

If anyone knows and can explain this, that would be great, thanks!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 05:37   #30642  |  Link
mr_lou

EDIT: Realizing there's a whole sub-forum for BD-Rebuilder, this post should probably have been in another thread - so deleting and posting a new thread.

Last edited by mr_lou; 21st May 2021 at 06:38.
mr_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 14:23   #30643  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Is there any way for me to use my Radeon RX 590 Fatboy video card for encoding (probably not...)
I don't even know if that video card even has encoding capabilities (I doubt it). I looked at a review of it, and it didn't mention it as a capability. But, it's not likely it would be supported, even it it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
And, again, what is the deal with the two x264.exe's in the BDRB Tools folder? The x264L-64.exe and the x264-64.exe? What is the purpose again for having both of these, and are these the most current versions of the encoder?
From the CHANGES.TXT file:
Code:
November 13th, 2016 - v0.50.19
- Included an older version of X264 for users
  that use X264/LAVF frame serving.  Newer
  X264 versions run significantly slower in 
  this mode (probably due to libavformat 
  updates that are slower).

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st May 2021 at 14:28.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 00:19   #30644  |  Link
spotswood

Converting to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format

Hello jdobbs...

Thank you for the latest v0.61.22 of BDRB. I'm in the process of converting my 1080p titles to HEVC. Everything has been going perfect, love the quality, not to mention the speed provided by NVENCC!

I may be nitpicking here, but when converting in Full Backup or Movie and Menus mode, the log shows the title being converted to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format (examples below).

But when in Movie-Only mode the same notation is not shown. I wasn't sure if the title was being converted, but when checking the output w/MediaInfo in MPC-HC it indeed shows the title in HEVC format. The title is still converted to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format in Movie Only mode, it's just not noted in the log.

Just thought I'd point that out to avoid confusion with other users. Thanks again for the latest update and keep up the great work!

Code:
[05/21/21] BD Rebuilder v0.61.22
[15:23:42] Source:  GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL
  - Input BD size: 36.53 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:51:29.444]
  - Target BD size: 7.84 GB
  - Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
  - FULL BACKUP mode enabled
  - Quality: High Quality (Default), 1-Pass VBR
  - Converting to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format
  - Decoding/Frame serving: NVENCC
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[15:23:42] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [15:23:42] Processing: VID_00022 (1 of 12)
 - [15:23:42] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00022]
 - [15:23:47] Reencoding video [VID_00022]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080

[15:24:47] Source:  GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL
  - Input BD size: 33.34 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:51:29.444]
  - MOVIE and MENUS mode enabled
  - Converting to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format
[15:24:49] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [15:24:49] Blanking: VID_00000 (1 of 67)
 - [15:24:49] Processing: VID_00022 (2 of 67)
 - [15:24:49] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00022]
 - [15:24:53] Reencoding video [VID_00022]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080

[15:25:24] Source:  GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_00800
  - Input BD size: 28.95 GB
  - Approximate total content: [01:46:56.701]
  - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
[15:25:26] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [15:25:26] Processing: VID_00800 (1 of 1)
 - [15:25:26] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00800]
EXIT CODE: 259
[15:25:36]PHASE ONE aborted by user request

Last edited by spotswood; 22nd May 2021 at 02:28.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:29   #30645  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Hello jdobbs...

Thank you for the latest v0.61.22 of BDRB. I'm in the process of converting my 1080p titles to HEVC. Everything has been going perfect, love the quality, not to mention the speed provided by NVENCC!

I may be nitpicking here, but when converting in Full Backup or Movie and Menus mode, the log shows the title being converted to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format (examples below).

But when in Movie-Only mode the same notation is not shown. I wasn't sure if the title was being converted, but when checking the output w/MediaInfo in MPC-HC it indeed shows the title in HEVC format. The title is still converted to UHD-BD (HEVC) output format in Movie Only mode, it's just not noted in the log.

Just thought I'd point that out to avoid confusion with other users. Thanks again for the latest update and keep up the great work!
I looked at the code and it specifically excludes printing that line when in MOVIE-ONLY mode. Now I have to figure out whether I did that for a reason -- or was just goofy that day.

EDIT: I realize now that I used the wrong variable for that check. It should have suppressed the message for ALTERNATE output, not all MOVIE-ONLY encodes. I fixed it for the next releas.

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th May 2021 at 14:26.
Old 22nd May 2021, 18:36   #30646  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
or was just goofy that day.
Just that day?
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 21:06   #30647  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
I looked at the code and it specifically excludes printing that line when in MOVIE-ONLY mode. Now I have to figure out whether I did that for a reason -- or was just goofy that day.
No worries, I'm pretty goofy all the time... FYI, I added the line "FULL BACKUP mode enabled" in the first example as it's not noted either, to differentiate the three modes in my examples. Not sure if you want to add that as well. Thanks again for your awesome work!
Old 24th May 2021, 07:14   #30648  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
From the CHANGES.TXT file:
Code:
November 13th, 2016 - v0.50.19
- Included an older version of X264 for users
  that use X264/LAVF frame serving.  Newer
  X264 versions run significantly slower in 
  this mode (probably due to libavformat 
  updates that are slower).
Thanks Boss! So, is the resulting understanding of that then that one should probably NOT use the LAVF frame serving when encoding? I always did simply because it sounded like it had some kind of native or internal decoder/frame server. Should I simply use another like DirectShow? What would be the parameters in deciding which frame server to use?

Now, that I have some bad@ss cooling and can actually use my handy dandy Ryzen 5 full out, I'm ready to Rock!

***EDIT

BTW, when I do some simple CMD Line x264 encoding I reference the .exe in the BDRB Tools folder. I noticed that when I use the x264L-64.exe it shows 'time left' If I use the x264-64.exe (which I assume by what you said above is the current latest one) I notice that there is no 'time left' shown while encoding. I just wondered why...

Last edited by Lathe; 24th May 2021 at 07:20.
Old 24th May 2021, 07:16   #30649  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs

or I was just goofy that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Just that day?
You should talk Mr. Compulsive GrammarHead!
Old 25th May 2021, 14:19   #30650  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Just that day?
Some days I think I might fall more into the "hopelessly lost" category rather than "goofy". So I limited it for accuracy.

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th May 2021 at 14:22.
Old 26th May 2021, 22:12   #30651  |  Link
Ian1182

Problem with The Good Place Season 1

I have run into a strange problem processing the first season of The Good Place. The original disks play without any apparent problems.

All the episodes have a similar issue and I'll explain what I'm seeing for Episode 1 as an example. This episode is just over 26 minutes long (26:15.991). BD Rebuilder ran without any error messages, I then created an ISO file with IMGBURN, burnt that to a rewritable disk and attempted playback. I selected episode 1 and it started to show a color calibration menu for 89 seconds and then the episode started, it then played for a total of 26:15 which meant the last 89 seconds of the episode was truncated. I then looked at the original M2TS file and noticed it was 30 minutes and 15 seconds long. That file comprises of

1 minute and 29 seconds of calibration menu
26 minutes & 15 seconds of episode 1
and the remainder some random clip from The Good Place.

If I use MKVTOOLNIX, select the MPLS file for episode 1 from the original disk and create an MKV that is the correct length of 26:15 starting at an offset of 89 seconds and plays ok.

From what I can see all episodes across the two bluray disks have a similar problem.

The disks seem to have some unusual authoring that BD Rebuilder does not handle correctly. Rather than each episode starting at the beginning of the respective M2TS file, its part way into the file. I have attached the MPLS files from the original disk and the processed files if that helps
Attached Files
File Type: txt 00001-original.txt (1.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: txt 00001-Processed.txt (1.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: txt log.txt (4.2 KB, 36 views)
Ian1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2021, 17:38   #30652  |  Link
Ian1182

Problem with The Good Place Season 1

I have an unusual problem processing "The Good Place" season 1, all 13 episodes across the two disks show similar symptoms. To illustrate I'll explain the problem with episode 1. When played from the original Bluray the episode runs for 26 minutes and 15 seconds, however the M2TS file is 30 minutes and 10 seconds long. The playback starts at 89 seconds into the M2TS file and then runs for 26 mins & 15 secs (i.e. exits at 27:44). The initial 89 seconds of the M2TS contains a color test chart

When processed by BR Rebuilder the video component is encoded for first 26 minutes & 15 seconds (89 seconds of test chart and 24:46 of episode). The audio tracks retain the whole 30:10. If I use MKVTOOLNIX and add the playlist file for episode 1 it handles the offset and creates a MKV file that starts/ends at the correct place.

The original Bluray seems to be authored in a strange manner with an offset prior to playback which BR Rebuilder is not handling correctly. Is there something I can provide to allow you to identify what is causing the problem.
Ian1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2021, 02:04   #30653  |  Link
Lathe

So, again, if I may please ask...

The X264L-64.exe in the BDRB tools folder is some old .exe from 2016...? And, the internal LAVF frame server runs better with it, right? So, does that mean then, that I should use ANOTHER frame server rather than the internal LAVF as selected in the setup of BDRB, would that be preferred because it uses the most recent or a much more recent iteration of the 264-64 codec?

I'm just trying to understand the difference. Should I use say DirectShow instead when using BDRB due to its using the more current version of x264-64? Is there a difference? Also, when using the CMD Line and I want to call a version of x264-64, which one should I call from the BDRB tools folder, or what specifically would be the difference in using one or the other?

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2021, 00:22   #30654  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
Hello everyone... using the current v0.61.18. Not sure if this is by design or a bug but, when importing an MKV/MP4 with an EAC3/DD+ or TrueHD/Atmos track, BDRB reencodes the track to AC3. When importing an MKV/MP4 with a DTS-MA or DTS:X track it is left intact. I have "Keep HD Audio" checked in Settings, but not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any help/ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Quote:
It would violate the BD standard if left intact -- that is why it is reencoded. Do a search of this thread, this subject has been discussed before. DD+ is a part of the standard, but player support for DD+ isn't required. DD, on the other hand, must be supported. That means that a BD compliant DD+ stream has to include both DD and DD+ together.
Quote:
Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I went back and looked at a few posts regarding my question. But don't TrueHD/Atmos tracks include the AC3 core? Why are they being reencoded if the core is included? Does this not follow the standard? I just created an MKV of my disc ANNA which has a 7.1 TrueHD track and AC3 core (leaving both video and audio intact). Imported MKV back into BDRB and it still wants to reencode the track to AC3. Would this scenario not be compliant? Very confused...
Quote:
I don't think you can import into an MKV without the core being removed or at least separated. Even if the AC3 is kept during import (as a second stream), it wouldn't be compliant because the two audios aren't muxed into a single stream for BD. That's if I remember it correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
You remember correctly.
MKV cannot hold an "interleaved" track (if the term is correct)
Mux a thd+ac3 track into a MKV container and the result is two distinct tracks thd and ac3
OK, so trying this again w/v0.61.22 now knowing the TrueHD/Atmos track will be reencoded. Problem is the TrueHD/Atmos track is being reencoded to AC3 Mono instead of Multi-Ch as it should, yes? Here's the log:
----------------------
[12:06:09] Importing MKV: 1917_4K_HDR
- Collecting audio/video streams from source...
- Converting audio, Track #2, THD to AC3...
- Building pseudo-BD source structure...
[12:47:02] Video import completed successfully.

The resulting reencode under the Stream tab shows AUD_001 AC3, Mono, English. Something weird is going on here...
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:32   #30655  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
OK, so trying this again w/v0.61.22 now knowing the TrueHD/Atmos track will be reencoded. Problem is the TrueHD/Atmos track is being reencoded to AC3 Mono instead of Multi-Ch as it should, yes? Here's the log:
----------------------
[12:06:09] Importing MKV: 1917_4K_HDR
- Collecting audio/video streams from source...
- Converting audio, Track #2, THD to AC3...
- Building pseudo-BD source structure...
[12:47:02] Video import completed successfully.

The resulting reencode under the Stream tab shows AUD_001 AC3, Mono, English. Something weird is going on here...
I think what gonca menat is that your mkv should have at least 2 audio tracks, because the original THD was splitted into THD only and its AC3 core. You should select the audio track holding the core for conversion.

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:49   #30656  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
I think what gonca menat is that your mkv should have at least 2 audio tracks, because the original THD was splitted into THD only and its AC3 core. You should select the audio track holding the core for conversion.

ggtop
My problem is that the THD track is being converted to AC3 Mono rather than AC3 Multi-Ch. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is incorrect...
Old 3rd June 2021, 22:14   #30657  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post

ggtop
In a BD the thd and ac3 tracks are "interleaved" into 1 track.
When remuxed to mkv you will get a thd and an ac3 track.
Two audio tracks in the mkv
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2021, 00:23   #30658  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
In a BD the thd and ac3 tracks are "interleaved" into 1 track.
When remuxed to mkv you will get a thd and an ac3 track.
Two audio tracks in the mkv
Yes, but the AC3 core shouldn't be mono.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2021, 08:03   #30659  |  Link
ggtop

I suggest you compare the audio characterics of both, the original and your mkv e.g. with MediaInfo and come back with the results.

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2021, 22:38   #30660  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Yes, but the AC3 core shouldn't be mono.
Unless the original core was mono
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote