Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 2nd August 2013, 09:02   #1  |  Link
cihub

YATTA! vs. AnimeIVTC: what is the difference?

Can anyone explain what is the difference between those two approaches? From what I've read It seems that YATTA! is a tool for manual IVTC + frame rate difference detection (30/24 fps footage) and AnimeIVTC does the same, but it's [more] automated.

I'm asking because AnimeIVTC, at least for me, does a damn good job, but there's some people that know about YATTA! and say it might be better. Well, I'm not sure about "better", but some rank it like this: simple IVTC with whatever you have > AnimeIVTC > YATTA!

Last edited by cihub; 2nd August 2013 at 17:43. Reason: Added last paragraph
cihub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:52   #2  |  Link
Selur

you might want to restrict it to "Yatta vs. AnimeIVTC" since TGMC and QTGMC are (from what I know) not really suited to IVTC, but only aim at real interlaced content only do deinterlacing not ivtc.
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:39   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

QTGMC does IVTC? That's news to me. I just searched the QTGMC documentation for any mention of "telecine," "IVTC," or "decimate" and found none. AFIK, QTGMC has nothing whatsoever to do with detecting and removing duplicate or blended fields from telecined material. Its main purpose is deinterlacing and, along the way, it also lets you do some nifty denoising, along with a few other things that "come for free" because of the tools used for the deinterlacing (e.g., motion blur).
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:55   #4  |  Link
cihub

>>>you might want to restrict it to "Yatta vs. AnimeIVTC"
Done.

>>>QTGMC does IVTC?
Sorry for that, I just knew that it was somehow related to field-matching in IVTC process.

Still, I wonder what YATTA! does that AnimeIVTC can't.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:26   #5  |  Link
mastrboy

But you can use QTGMC "inside" TFM as a postprocessor instead of the built-in ones, though i usually just use nnedi3... (might have been what the thread opener meant?)
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:48   #6  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by cihub View Post
Can anyone explain what is the difference between those two approaches? From what I've read It seems that YATTA! is a tool for manual IVTC + frame rate difference detection (30/24 fps footage) and AnimeIVTC does the same, but it's [more] automated.

I'm asking because AnimeIVTC, at least for me, does a damn good job, but there's some people that know about YATTA! and say it might be better. Well, I'm not sure about "better", but some rank it like this: simple IVTC with whatever you have > AnimeIVTC > YATTA!
You explained it pretty well right there. AnimeIVTC lets you fire and forget if you want, or provide as much manual control as you want, without a fancy GUI. Yatta allows the most obsessive of encoders to manually match all fields and choose all video/telecine segments, although it won't help for fieldblending like AnimeIVTC. Neither fixes mixed video/telecined in the same frames. That pathology is surprisingly common with anime that had CGI grafted on post-telecine in the '00s, and there is no perfect cure.

Yatta will always have its diehard adherents, but hybrid detection has come a long way, most people are fine with unnoticeable rather than perfect, and newer shows mostly don't have any video segments at all.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:40   #7  |  Link
cihub

Thank you guys.

>>>You explained it pretty well right there.
I thought so, though afterwards I posted this thread. It's just that ranking (simple IVTC > AnimeIVTC > YATTA!) somewhat confused me and I thought that it'll be better if I ask someone who are more familiar with these tools.