Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 15th November 2004, 00:52   #61  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Mug Funly: thanks, I appreciate it .

tritical: damn, you sound like you'll have your hands full for some time. Keep ut with the awesome work .
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 17:49   #62  |  Link
Dali Lama

Hi Tritical,

I am getting excellent results with TFM on Rurouni Kenshin anime. That one is not as easy as most people think, but TFM is able to do a good job on mouth movements, scene changes, and panning. BruteIVTC also does a good job, but is a lot slower as you mentioned. The only thing I notice is some very slight jerkiness in a rare scene or two, even using mode 2, but I think that is inherant in the source.

In addition, by doing a proper IVTC, I am able to reduce general noise and especially rainbowing in the source (an added benefit).

Something interesting is when I apply Guavacomb before IVTC as directed, TFM produces errors in "telecide" operation, such as missing a stray interlaced frame it would otherwise detect. Any ideas why this might be the case?

In any case, I also think that anime needs the decimation you described above. Interestingly, when I was using Telecide on the material, I noticed that proper decimation was the "rate-limited step" in achieving proper IVTC as duplicates in the source tend to have weird rainbows, stray interlacing, ghosting and the like.

So keep up the good work and thanks,

Dali
Dali Lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 21:30   #63  |  Link
tritical

Thanks for the feedback Dali Lama. On the guavacomb issue would you mind putting up the exact script you used. It is hard to determine the possible causes without a little more info, but using guavacomb before tfm should tend to improve accuracy and not hurt things as long as the settings are resonable. Also, when you say it works correctly w/o guavacomb does that mean it works if you convert to yuy2 and then use tfm or if you leave the clip in yv12 colorspace?

And yeah, kenshin has some problems, at least the first couple r1 dvds have blended fields if I remember correctly. I don't know about later on in the series...
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 22:41   #64  |  Link
Dali Lama

Nice suggestion:

After looking into the color space conversions I noticed that neither GuavaComb or TFM is the problem. Since I am using GuavaComb before IVTC, the source is interlaced and ConvertToYUY2() and ConvertToYV12() need to be ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) and ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true).

I checked TFM under YUY2 and YV12 and it works fine as long as interlaced=true is used. Interestingly, I don't get the interlaced frames when I use ConvertToYUY2() before TFM, but I do if I use:

ConvertToYUY2() then ConvertToYV12() before TFM

Perhaps ConvertToYUY2() doesn't benefit from the interlaced=true option?

And you're right, the first few episodes had blended fields (where's Scharfi ), especially in the opening trailer, but it improves in later DVDs.

-Dali
Old 17th November 2004, 01:08   #65  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Dali Lama: From what I recall, Kenshin is a 24/30 fps hybrid, so regular IVTCing isn't really the best option (it might be what leads to the sporadic jerkyness you mention. Why don't you try VFR encoding?
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2004, 21:54   #66  |  Link
Dali Lama

Hi Chainmax,

I don't see any 30 fps progressive sections in kenshin. Are you sure about that?

-Dali
Old 18th November 2004, 06:18   #67  |  Link
tritical

Glad that you got the problem worked out. interlaced=true in the yuy2 conversion was my first thought about what might be wrong. Even if you didn't get interlaced frames with converttoyuy2() it definitely makes a difference. How big depends on the specific frames... the combination of converttoyuy2() and converttoyv12() would increase the effect.

On a side note I had some free time this week and was able to make quite a bit of progress. M-in-N decimation is working (most similar and longest string), arbitrary framerate decimation is working... post-processing for tfm is added, mainly just working on some small details atm. Probably the next release will include the decimation function, but it will only have one-pass capabilities... two pass vfr stuff I haven't gotten too yet.

In my tests the arbitrary frame rate decimation algorithm is fast, but is simply too dependent on the duplicate threshold being correctly set (both too high or too low will cause duplicates to be retained). M-in-N works much better since you can consider full cycles at a time, but is slower and still can't acheive all decimation ratios w/o having a very large N so I'm still gonna keep the other method around.

One question for anyone still reading... are single framerate methods of handling vfr content worth having? i.e. blend decimation or special field decimation for decimating 30fps progressive or 60i down to 24fps. While mkv's vfr capabilities are a much better alternative imo there are still some occasions where a single framerate or non mkv alternative might be needed.
Old 18th November 2004, 07:38   #68  |  Link
Aktan

From what I have seen, only the first few kenshin dvds are problematic. I think like vols 1-5. After that, IT, at least for me worked perfectly. Sorry for the off topic.
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 08:13   #69  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by tritical
One question for anyone still reading... are single framerate methods of handling vfr content worth having? i.e. blend decimation or special field decimation for decimating 30fps progressive or 60i down to 24fps. While mkv's vfr capabilities are a much better alternative imo there are still some occasions where a single framerate or non mkv alternative might be needed.
You know, that would have been exactly the next thing I'd have tackled myself when I had some time for it...

I've found that Decomb's Decimate using mode=2 just drops the first frame of a row of duplicates, whereas dropping the frame with the lowest metric would probably avoid errors in cases where erroneous duplicates were found - after all, if it's all duplicates, you can choose any of those and drop it.

I'd really love to have a Decimation filter that can blend 30FPS or 60FPS material down to 24FPS, as my standalone player can't cope with VFR material. Currently, I'm doing those blend-downs by hand if it's just the opening or ending, but doing it that way for every scene is overkill.
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 10:32   #70  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

perhaps some kind of hinted convertfps blending would work - it could take hints from TFM determining whether to pass through 24p content, or blend-convert 30 or 60fps stuff. scenechange detection also, maybe?

hell, i'd settle for a YV12 update of convertfps (with scenechange detection), but i guess that's a core avisynth function, not a plugin. this would also mean avisynth can be used more in DVD production, not just backup.
Old 18th November 2004, 14:13   #71  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally posted by Mug Funky
hell, i'd settle for a YV12 update of convertfps (with scenechange detection), but i guess that's a core avisynth function, not a plugin. this would also mean avisynth can be used more in DVD production, not just backup.
Well, it's not as if AviSynth weren't opensource - anyone can update ConvertFPS and send Sh0dan a patch...

np: Fennesz - Codeine (Field Recordings 1995-2002)
Old 18th November 2004, 19:09   #72  |  Link
tritical

Quote:
perhaps some kind of hinted convertfps blending would work - it could take hints from TFM determining whether to pass through 24p content, or blend-convert 30 or 60fps stuff. scenechange detection also, maybe?
That's exactly what it would be... I already have the needed hinting in place . The decisions would be made based off tfm's matches, combed/deinterlaced frames, and frame metrics. Blend decimation would need scene change detection as well, but that can be gotten pretty much for free from the metric calculations. For 30fps progressive blending would be used, for 60i I was thinking what neuron2 posted in his journal some time ago might be better then blending: http://neuron2.net/journal/journal2003.html ("6-1-2003: A Digression: The Holy Grail of Hybrid Rendering"). Basically smart bob the fields to frames and then decimate in a 1-2-1 pattern. Though 60i detection and handling is more problematic then just film/30fps progressive. The hybrid stuff will have to be limited to M-in-N decimation and probably only 1 in 5 since I'm really not sure how it should work in other scenarios.

Leak, what patterns do you use for blending down 30fps progressive and 60i to 24fps? The following method produces pretty smooth results for 30 fps progressive, it is based on cycles of 5, but there is probably a slightly better way... here's a short example:

original (10 frames) = 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
new (8 frames) =
Code:
[0 100%  1 0%] [1 75%  2 25%] [2 50%  3 50%] [3 25%  4 75%] 
[5 100%  6 0%] [6 75%  7 25%] [7 50%  8 50%] [8 25%  9 75%]
Old 18th November 2004, 19:49   #73  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

hi trictical your progress so far sounds very nice.
but I have another, very interesting idea.
Again: standards conversion!

lets assume the following pseudo conversions:
Code:
input=avisource("hybrid24p30p60i")

video60i=input.mvbob().mvconvertfps(47.952)
video30p=input.telecide(post=0).mvconvertfps(47.952)
film24p= input.telecide(post=0).decimate(5).changefps(47.952)

tfm(input,video60i,video30p,film24p)
assumefps(25)
this would be my very dream configuration for standards conversion!

the sync between the 29.97fps input and 47.952fps streams should be doable with the timestamps/codes, I think.
tfm should/could do this automatically?!?

would such a thing be possible with the current architectures and/or your plans for tfm?

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 20:32   #74  |  Link
Dali Lama

Quote:
Originally posted by Leak

I've found that Decomb's Decimate using mode=2 just drops the first frame of a row of duplicates, whereas dropping the frame with the lowest metric would probably avoid errors in cases where erroneous duplicates were found - after all, if it's all duplicates, you can choose any of those and drop it.
I concur 100%. I've actually started a thread about this a while back, but couldn't explain it as clearly.

I hope TFM will implement this idea or perhaps an equivalent.
Old 18th November 2004, 20:40   #75  |  Link
tritical

@scharfis_brain

The general idea is definitely possible. If I follow correctly what you really want is a filter that takes a hybrid input stream, determines what parts are what (24p/30p/60i) and then chooses between already converted streams as needed. That really isn't where I was headed (atm the conversions are also done inside tfm/tdecimate for everything but 60i where the user will need to give tdecimate an already bobbed stream). However, your idea could be done by just ripping out the detection from tfm/tdecimate and making a filter out of that.

Actually, your idea is pretty good... the big thing standing in the way atm is the detection of 60i/24p/30p, which is heavily integrated into the actual conversions right now. I've mainly been ripping off the code from some ivtc filters I wrote before and they only did 24p/30p detection so if there were combed frames after field matching they were deinterlaced. Trying to cram 60i detection into that framework is not working well (i.e. if an output frame from tfm is combed it is 60i). Going back and doing the detection on the field level (look for duplicated fields to separate 60i from 24p/30p) would probably work better.

One thing I don't get in your example though is the 47.952 framerate? If the final output framerate is 23.976 why not just have mvconvertfps(23.976), leave the 24p alone and then input those? Most likely I am missing something here .
Old 18th November 2004, 20:48   #76  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

my script is slightly incomplete.

Code:
input=avisource("hybrid24p30p60i")

video60i=input.mvbob().mvconvertfps(47.952)
video30p=input.telecide(post=0).mvconvertfps(47.952)
film24p= input.telecide(post=0).decimate(5).changefps(47.952)

tfm(input,video60i,video30p,film24p)

separatefields()
selectevery(4,0,3)
weave()

assumefps(25)
my aim is to produce 48p for 60i and 30p contents.
24p is filled up to 48p by frame duplication to match the framerate of the formerly 60i and 30p sequences.

afterwards, I reinterlace 48p to 48i and then i do a speedup to 50i. this means, formerly 24p contens become 25p in the output.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 22:58   #77  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Leak, what patterns do you use for blending down 30fps progressive and 60i to 24fps?
Well, I'm doing it the mathematically correct way; if you go from 30 to 24 FPS you need to fit 1 1/4 source frames into a destination frame, i.e.

Code:
Fr.  Src.A  Amt.A  Src.B  Amt.B
0      0     4/5     1     1/5
1      1     3/5     2     2/5
2      2     2/5     3     3/5
3      3     1/5     4     4/5

4      5     4/5     6     1/5
5      6     3/5     7     2/5
6      7     2/5     8     3/5
7      8     1/5     9     4/5

which I was doing this way:
Code:
a=source.SelectEvery(5,0)
b=source.SelectEvery(5,1)
c=source.SelectEvery(5,2)
d=source.SelectEvery(5,3)
e=source.SelectEvery(5,4)

return Interleave( \
  a.Overlay(b,mode="blend",opacity=0.2), \
  b.Overlay(c,mode="blend",opacity=0.4), \
  c.Overlay(d,mode="blend",opacity=0.6), \
  d.Overlay(e,mode="blend",opacity=0.8))
This way, you'll get evenly spaced intervals in the blend, with every source frame getting used for a total of 80%. With your method, you get 100% of frame 0 and 75% of the other frames. Of course, this means you'll get a totally unblended frame per cycle, but I find it adds too much jerkiness for my taste, while I don't care as much for ghosting blending brings with it.

I do think that scharfis_brain is on to something here, even though MVConvertFPS will not work with anime; in that case blending like the above will probably be preferable - but if you can feed it 3 clips so the processing is configurable, everybody can do it the way they like...

np: Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (New York Mix) (Twelve Inches (Disc 1))
Old 22nd November 2004, 00:07   #78  |  Link
tritical

@Leak
All with 80% weight would probably be preferable, even though it means all frames will be blends it would be smoother. Thanks for the info.

@scharfis_brain
It all makes sense now. The idea is definitely a good one, but I've decided for the moment to not specifically handle 60i in tfm/tdecimate for a couple of reasons so it will not be able to accomplish the type of processing you want. I think the idea would be better off in its own filter anyways. Maybe someone else will take up the idea and try turning it into a filter. It would mainly be about accurate detection of all the different types, the merging and sync to create the final output stream would not be that difficult.

@All
And here is TFM v0.9.1[link removed, new version is linked farther into thread], this one includes all the features I originally planned... post-processing has been added, exclusion band was added, user overrides for post-processing was added, and some other small changes (default values and what not). Like I said above I decided to not try to specifically handle 60i for the moment so any frames that come out of tfm combed are simply deinterlaced resulting in 30p. PP includes blending and modified-ela (which I stole from tdeint), both motion-adaptive and dumb modes. The motion adaptivity and deinterlacing in general is different then that in tdeint and is geared for cleaning up combed frames that come through field matching because of orphaned fields or missing fields. If you don't like either blending or ela then I included the ability to specify an externally deinterlaced clip (i.e. deinterlaced with another filter) from which TFM will grab deinterlaced frames. This option will also work in conjunction with TFM's motion adaptivity so only pixels in moving areas are taken from the external clip. (see the "clip2" option for details).

TDecimate is also coming along pretty fast and should be finished soon, just need to add two-pass stuff, input/output options, and user overrides.

@Mug_Funky
I decided not to add double rate output since it would be hard to get it all working correctly with overrides and everything. I think the best solution would just be a script based one instead of having double rate output inside of TFM.

Last edited by tritical; 28th November 2004 at 22:09.
Old 22nd November 2004, 00:20   #79  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
TDecimate is also coming along pretty fast and should be finished soon, just need to add two-pass stuff, input/output options, and user overrides.
About two-pass - couldn't you also do a one-pass mode where it'll output as many frames as in the source video, but with all black frames at the end, and some out-of-band-signalling (like via a small text file) that contains the number of the real last frame, so one can just chop off the file at that position?

This might not be feasible if you're doing a 2-pass encode with XviD, but it might speed things up if you're using HuffYUV or a similar lossless codec or 1-pass encoding.

np: Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (New York Mix) (Twelve Inches (Disc 1))
Old 22nd November 2004, 01:10   #80  |  Link
tritical

Yes, that would be possible, but one of the reasons for doing it two-pass was one of the options for 30p detection is a minimum # of consecutive cycles detected as 30p. That number can be anything while in actual processing only 1 or 3 cycles at maximum is tracked depending on the current mode. If the # is not greater then the currently tracked cycles then your idea for one-pass processing would work. The other option would be to process through the entire video on load as in the decombvfr mod, however I would prefer not to do it that way.

Currently what I had planned for two-pass hybrid processing was you run TFM with the output option enabled and TDecimate in metrics only mode with output enabled for the first pass (and don't use any filters after tdecimate so things run pretty fast), and then on a second pass TFM uses it output file and TDecimate analyzes TFMs output file and the metrics file, does all the processing of the entire video on load from that (which takes only a second or two) and then just makes a lookup table of the frames to deliver. However, I know messing with text files and doing two-passes is not preferable. Though to accomplish some of the options having access to all metrics and matches for the entire clip is needed, which means processing through the entire file on load would be required for a one pass solution.

Like I said above though, your one-pass solution would be possible w/o processing the entire clip if the # of consective cycles option was required to be 2 or 1. Would that work for you?

Tags
tdeint, tivtc