Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 31st July 2016, 12:02   #1  |  Link
Metal

Logo Removal?

Hi guys,

I've been trying to remove a logo without making the blur noticeable and without loosing the details around it, but I couldn't do that.

Could you help me with this please?

Thanks.

Last edited by Metal; 31st July 2016 at 12:08.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 13:49   #2  |  Link
udobroemme

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Rm_logo works very well with alpha blended logos.
udobroemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 17:19   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
Hi guys,

I've been trying to remove a logo without making the blur noticeable and without loosing the details around it, but I couldn't do that.

Thanks.
Without making the blur noticeable? It can't be done.

Having said that, as already noted, if you used Delogo or other tool that can blend alpha-channel logos (i.e., semi-transparent), you can get a little less blur than if the logos are solid, but there is still going to be a lot of blur.

If the video is really important, and you are willing to spend some time, you can get slightly better results by using different settings, or even a different approach altogether, for each scene. As an example, there are settings you can use when the background is really dark that often can remove the logo so that there is absolutely no tell-tale blur. However, the settings needed to do this make the blur much worse against a light background.

I've often thought that it would be possible to make a motion estimated delogo function that could fill in the logo area with information from adjacent frames, but only when the camera pans. There would have to be a way for the function to switch over to just blending pixels from the adjacent areas when there is no motion.

If the camera is totally static, you can capture a single frame, use Photoshop to clone in the area around the logo, and then mask that corrected frame over the top of the logo. This works well for talking head shots.

So, in summary, for better quality, you can adapt the technique, scene-by-scene.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 20:21   #4  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Maybe if you provided a short sample, more informed help could be provided. One that has a few frames with black behind the logo would be especially welcome - a fadeout/in, a night scene, something with black just behind the logo, if not the entire frame.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 20:21   #5  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

transparent logos could be removed almost completely and perfectly
https://github.com/makiuchi-d/delogo...aster/logoscan
I don't speak japanese so please don't ask me how to use it
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 20:40   #6  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
transparent logos could be removed almost completely and perfectly
https://github.com/makiuchi-d/delogo...aster/logoscan
I don't speak japanese so please don't ask me how to use it
I don't speak Japanese either, but Google does. Here's a translation of the Logoscan readme.txt file:

Logoscan Readme

Unfortunately, I can't find any "before/after" video showing the results. As you can tell from my previous post, I've done a lot of work with Delogo, and have posted a tutorial of how to use it to remove a stuck pixel:

Tutorial on Delogo Filter for Virtualdub

As a result of my experience with this tool, I would absolutely love to find something that works better. Don't get me wrong, it actually works pretty well, given the difficulty of what it is trying to do, but it could do a LOT better with semi-transparent logos than it does.

However, I don't want to spend the time to try this tool unless I can see some results.
Old 31st July 2016, 21:00   #7  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Code:
EraseLOGO("logo.lgd")

Old 31st July 2016, 21:07   #8  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

damn, why do I even bother to show you any result?
despite how nice the result looks, you just refuse to try out new things anyways, just kiss the nice result good bye grandpa

EDIT:
oh, and it's nice to hear your voice, not bad for a 60+ guy, actually sounds like 40-50 to me..

Last edited by feisty2; 31st July 2016 at 21:20.
Old 31st July 2016, 21:50   #9  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Code:
EraseLOGO("logo.lgd")

it makes no blur at all as you can see, got this awesome plugin from a chinese forum here
and there's even a nice tutorial for it (in chinese), and I do know a little bit about chinese (long story) so that tutorial works okay to me, but I don't wanna translate it cuz it's long and I'm lazy..
Old 31st July 2016, 21:52   #10  |  Link
Reel.Deel

LogoScan is used with EraseLogo: https://github.com/makiuchi-d/delogo-avisynth

Here are some tutorials, none in English but you can always use translate.

Many more can be found just by searching for "logoscan avisynth" in Google.

You can find an updated LogoScan here. A mod of Delogo for AviSynth was posted here, unfortunately the DL link no longer works. There's also lgdeditor to tweak the ldg file that's created with LogoScan. There's been a handful of logo tools released by Japanese authors, mainly to deal with logos from Japanese broadcasting stations, but can also be used as general purpose logo removers. As long as you know what you're doing.

For those interested, you can use the English version of AviUtl: http://www.videohelp.com/software/AviUtl

Edit: video of logo removal with AviUtl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxFUYkXpvo

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 31st July 2016 at 22:21.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 00:15   #11  |  Link
Metal

Wow!
Thank you guys very much, the results are great!

Last edited by Metal; 1st August 2016 at 00:22.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 00:48   #12  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Wow!
Thank you guys very much, the results are great!
Which method did you use??
Old 1st August 2016, 00:56   #13  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
LogoScan is used with EraseLogo: [url]https://github.com/makiuchi-d/delogo-avisynth[/url
Thanks for those links, especially the EraseLogo link. It was obvious that LogoScan was merely the front end to something else, but I wasn't easily able to find out what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
damn, why do I even bother to show you any result? despite how nice the result looks, you just refuse to try out new things anyways, just kiss the nice result good bye grandpa

EDIT:
oh, and it's nice to hear your voice, not bad for a 60+ guy, actually sounds like 40-50 to me..
Ouch! You're killing me man.

However, you redeemed yourself with the "40-50" comment.

And hey, even grandpa can still learn a few things. StainlessS provided some mods to his RTStats compilation which involved installing quite a bit of new stuff. I then had to figure out all sorts of things in order to remove video noise bars from an old Kinescope.

1955 NFL Game

I wimped out on making it perfect, however. To do that I needed to write additional code to handle end conditions when the noise bars crossed the boundaries at the bottom and top of the screen. The client was already ecstatic with the "preliminary" results so I figured I should just declare victory and go home.

Of course I was only 63 then ...