Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 11th March 2023, 23:59   #2301  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
...and realize that Avisynth+ has NO audio cache implemented... The feeling is priceless.
For this and for all that cleanup work: Nagyon szépen köszönöm Ferenc !
Old 12th March 2023, 05:20   #2302  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
DSS should only ever be used as a last resort
DSS just uses whatever source filter has highest merit on your system, in my case that is LAV filters which are excellent and maintained with up to date features by nevcairiel.

But Avisynth's implementation of DSS seems to downsample to 8-bit internally before handing it to LAV, so I can't use it for 10-bit videos even though LAV filters support it. imo DSS deserves an overhaul and should support subtitles as well like DSS2Mod.

DSS is very useful for realtime use as it doesn't have to index/cache anything, instant playback, instant seeking (with LAV that is, which uses ffmpeg).
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 06:36   #2303  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
And just in case nobody knows what that means...

"thank you so much"

RB 1.27.1 (std)
RB 1.27.1 (fully loaded, OOD)
PD 7.5 (new)

Last edited by TDS; 12th March 2023 at 12:04.
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 15:06   #2304  |  Link
jpsdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
Strange, temporarily I'd try to get rid of all autoloaded plugins, move them away, to make sure if one of them is making avisynth crash when loading. I don't have any other idea. My avsmeter is 3.0.0.4, and happily consumes any avisynth version
Excellent idea, i tested, and... Still the same.
Even with all the autoload directories empty (plugins, plugins+, plugins64, plugins64+), AVSMeter still says "Error, unable to load avisynth.dll" with r3950 clang and IntelLLVM+redist build files.
No issue with the VisualStudio test7 build files.
Old 12th March 2023, 15:38   #2305  |  Link
StvG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
Excellent idea, i tested, and... Still the same.
Even with all the autoload directories empty (plugins, plugins+, plugins64, plugins64+), AVSMeter still says "Error, unable to load avisynth.dll" with r3950 clang and IntelLLVM+redist build files.
No issue with the VisualStudio test7 build files.
Download Dependencies_x64_Release.zip, load avisynth.dll in DependenciesGui and share the output/check if something is missing.
StvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2023, 01:37   #2306  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
DSS just uses whatever source filter has highest merit on your system,
DirectShowSource can also use ANY source filter /demuxer /decoder /processor available on one's Windows PC —
— just tell DSS() to open a "well-constructed" .grf file.

Last edited by filler56789; 13th March 2023 at 01:56. Reason: add "processor" :-)
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2023, 14:08   #2307  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
DirectShowSource can also use ANY source filter /demuxer /decoder /processor available on one's Windows PC —
— just tell DSS() to open a "well-constructed" .grf file.
True.
It used to be extremely useful back in the days when proprietary codecs which didn't have an indexer had a separate .exe that you could install to make such a codec widely available on the system by all applications that were able to use DirectShow. I still remember CanopusHQ being a prime example of this and how I could index it with DirectShowSource() only.

Unfortunately, nowadays, companies are way more reluctant in doing those things and when they release their codecs, it's generally just some "plugin" for the most common non linear editors like AVID Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve etc.
Think about Sony Raw, Canon Raw, Blackmagic Raw, Red Raw, Arri Raw etc...
They all work with their proprietary software like Sony Catalyst, ArriRaw Converter etc and their "codec" is more of a "plugin" as it exposes it to non linear editors, but not to Windows, so they can't be decoded using DirectShow.
This meant that over the years DirectShowSource() has lost a bit of popularity in its use, which is a shame, really, as those proprietary codecs (which don't have any open source indexer that can decode them) should really be exposing themselves to Windows via DirectShow...
Oh, if only those company listened to their users...
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2023, 19:55   #2308  |  Link
jpsdr

@StvG
I've checked the dependencise of AviSynth.dll and DevIL.dll, both x86 and x64, on both x64 and x86 OS, nothing is missing...
Old 14th March 2023, 12:48   #2309  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Thanks

Anyway, the Avisynth+ audio cached version is uploaded on git, I won't provide test build today for sure. I guess old prehistoric SoxFilter will automagically start working.

But I'm still going to finish my new SoxFilter which is using the latest sox library. It is basically ready but you know, one must nicely arrange and polish the code, document, put it properly to github, try building it under various settings (maybe figure out how to build it under linux) still many days ahead...

Relevant change log part:
Code:
20230314 3.7.3 WIP
------------------
- Set automatic MT mode MT_SERIALIZED to 
  ConvertToMono, EnsureVBRMP3Sync, MergeChannels, GetChannel, Normalize, MixAudio, ResampleAudio
- Add back audio cache from classic Avisynth 2.6.
  Believe it or not, audio cache was never ported to Avisynth+
  - Make use of avisynth.h constants: CACHE_GETCHILD_AUDIO_MODE and CACHE_GETCHILD_AUDIO_SIZE: 
    Filters are queryed about their desired audio cache mode through their SetCacheHints (similarly to CACHE_GET_MTMODE).
  - Filters can answer CACHE_GETCHILD_AUDIO_MODE with 
    CACHE_AUDIO: Explicitly cache audio, X byte cache.
    CACHE_AUDIO_NOTHING: Explicitly do not cache audio.
    CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_OFF: Audio cache off (auto mode), X byte initial cache.
    CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_ON: Audio cache on (auto mode), X byte initial cache.
  - Default value is CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_OFF.
  - Filters can specify the required cache size by returning CACHE_GETCHILD_AUDIO_SIZE.
    Default cache size is 256kB.
  - For custom audio cache querying example see EnsureVBRMP3Sync::SetCacheHints in source.
  How it works: 
  - Modes CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_OFF (default) and CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_ON are automatic modes.
    The decision whether the stream benefits caching or not - and how big the cache 
    size should be - is made upon continously gathering some statistics on the audio 
    stream requests (an internal score is maintained).
    - when strict linear reading is detected. why bother with a cache, 
      mode would finally changed to CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_OFF.
    - When the requests are continously skipping chunks - a cache might not help; 
      go with CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_OFF as well.
    - When the next sample request is within the cache size, a cache could help: 
      if audio cache was swithed off Avisynth would turn it into active caching by changing 
      the working mode to CACHE_AUDIO_AUTO_START_ON.
  - Modes CACHE_AUDIO and CACHE_AUDIO_NOTHING are explicitely enable/disable audio cache at a give size.
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2023, 14:20   #2310  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
@StvG
I've checked the dependencise of AviSynth.dll and DevIL.dll, both x86 and x64, on both x64 and x86 OS, nothing is missing...
Other ideas.
- Virus check engine?
- BTW: Looked at avsmeter (3009) source and avsmeter cannot report such error message: "Error, unable to load avisynth.dll". Is this your exact message? Is it a popup window or just written on the console?
- Can you find relevant entries in Sysem or Application in event viewer eventvwr.exe?
- Do you have ffdshow or some of its dll somewhere in your system?
Old 14th March 2023, 15:34   #2311  |  Link
DTL

The clang and IntelC builds of 3.7.3 test 7 also not work at my Win7 x64. With VirtualDub error is sort of 'AVI import fail'. So it is something with compilers expected. Though the performance of clang builds for some architectures (like AVX512) is much better in compare with MSVC compiler. So it is good to find why clang builds not loads at user side.

"Do you have ffdshow or some of its dll somewhere in your system?"

Yes - ffms2.dll is loaded as plugin in the script and in the current working directory. FFmpegSource2() used as the source.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2023, 15:54   #2312  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Anyway, the Avisynth+ audio cached version is uploaded on git, I won't provide test build today for sure. I guess old prehistoric SoxFilter will automagically start working.

WOW! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Thank you so, so, so much!
Now I can finally say goodbye to FFMpeg once again ehehehehehe

Quote:
I'm still going to finish my new SoxFilter which is using the latest sox library.
A new sox version too? Is it Christmas already?
Thank you, again, a lot, Ferenc, we would be lost without you!!
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2023, 16:28   #2313  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
The clang and IntelC builds of 3.7.3 test 7 also not work at my Win7 x64. With VirtualDub error is sort of 'AVI import fail'. So it is something with compilers expected. Though the performance of clang builds for some architectures (like AVX512) is much better in compare with MSVC compiler. So it is good to find why clang builds not loads at user side.

"Do you have ffdshow or some of its dll somewhere in your system?"

Yes - ffms2.dll is loaded as plugin in the script and in the current working directory. FFmpegSource2() used as the source.
VirtualDub or VirtualDub2? (I meant ffdshow, not ffms)
Win 7? I forgot, jpsdr are you using Win7, too?
Old 14th March 2023, 16:35   #2314  |  Link
pinterf

Windows 7 vs. LLVM based compilers:

I found this on Intel's site.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...nextgen_sysreq

Code:
For the /Qnextgen option to use LLVM Technology only the following are supported:

For Intel64, supported Windows OSes and Visual Studio - only those listed below:
        Windows 10
        Windows Server 2019
        Windows Server 2016 (1607)
        Visual Studio 2019 with Windows SDK 10
        Visual Studio 2019 Build Tools* with Windows SDK 10 
        Visual Studio 2017 with Windows SDK 10

Target software requirements

The target platform should be based on one of the following environments:

Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Core*, Microsoft Windows 10*, Microsoft Windows Embedded 8*, Microsoft Windows Embedded 7*
Old 14th March 2023, 16:50   #2315  |  Link
pinterf

And the above was only for two versions behind.

This is from 2022
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ents-2022.html
"Windows* 10 (64 bit) Microsoft Windows Server* 2022, 2019, 2016"
Windows 7 or 8 is not mentioned

And this one from 2023
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...uirements.html
Windows* 10, 11 (64 bit) Microsoft Windows Server* 2022, 2019
Old 14th March 2023, 18:33   #2316  |  Link
jpsdr

Yes, i'm using Windows 7.
BTW, I didn't know there was an Intel LLVM version. To make llvm builds of my plugins i'm using the LLVM at the llvm.org (well, their github release), and they work fine under Windows 7.
Ok, the Intel don't even target Windows 7, but what about the clang ?
I could try to build it myself... But don't know how...
Edit:
I think i've figured out, i've tried CMake, it seems to work.
Edit2:
Ohhh... First quick test worked... Now i just have to test with llvm.

Last edited by jpsdr; 14th March 2023 at 19:06.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2023, 19:13   #2317  |  Link
pinterf

Forget DirectShow at the moment, uncheck or do not define the build DirectShowSrouce option. Not easy.
Check
https://avisynthplus.readthedocs.io/...splus.html#id8
and
https://avisynthplus.readthedocs.io/...e-command-line as well.

My test7 build was with Intel Classic 19.2 (icl), which btw. will be abandoned by Intel in 2023H2.
Then there is the IntelLLVM aka NextGen (icx) which is supported and recommended by Intel from now on.
I just tried them both and added them to the documentation some weeks ago (updated with the latest 2023 versions).
I have Windows 11 though so cannot even tell you about the adventures with Win10 and earlier version.
Old 14th March 2023, 22:41   #2318  |  Link
jpsdr

First, the AVSMeter error message is exactly : "Error: Cannot load avisynth.dll", in the console. My version is 3.0.9.0.

Second, i've build AviSynth with llvm the same way (and with the same compiler) i build my VDub or AviSynth plugins. It didn't work either, exact same behavior.
I build with llvm downloaded on the github, and with VisualStudio 2019 (16.9.26) installed with llvm support but without the llvm compiler provided with VS, Update 9 is the last version it works using "external" installed llvm version.

Very very odd, as my plugins work fine...
Old 15th March 2023, 01:50   #2319  |  Link
kedautinh12

Anyone had problem with intel build can try install latest Intel® oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler Runtime for Windows*
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...y-version.html
kedautinh12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 08:34   #2320  |  Link
DTL

"For the /Qnextgen option to use LLVM Technology only the following are supported:
For Intel64, supported Windows OSes and Visual Studio - only those listed below:
Windows 10"

It looks AVS+ starting to lost compatibility not only with WinXP but with Win7 too.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote