Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd January 2023, 20:19   #1801  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v73.0 released

Hey y'all!

Even though not much has happened with MKVToolNix over the last six or seven weeks, I've decided to finalize the first release of the year, v73. Nothing overly amazing in it.

One note for macOS users that isn't stated in the NEWS below: this release's DMG was built with FLAC support again. Sorry for the confusing in the previous version; that was due to build system setup SNAFUs on my end.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 73.0.0 "25 or 6 to 4" 2023-01-02
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: greatly enhanced the speed of Base64 decoding which is used used e.g. when reading pictures embedded in Ogg or FLAC files or for binary data inside XML chapter & tag files. Even small blocks of data could take unreasonably long.
  • mkvmerge: added support for reading HEVC/H.265 video from FLV containers. Implements #3466.

Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: splitting: fixed a typo in the string output in GUI mode regarding the timestamps before which splitting was done. See #3421.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: job output: after having run multiple jobs the "Clear output" functionality only reset the visible parts. However, using the "save output" function would also save the output generated before the user used "clear output". Now only the output after the last use of "clear output" is saved. Fixes #3438.
  • build system: when probing for the FLAC library the Ogg libraries will be linked with the compiled test program as well. This fixes detection if the "pkg-config" settings for FLAC don't list Ogg & the linker doesn't find the library automatically (e.g. for my macOS builds). Fixes #3439.

Have fun 😁

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2023, 23:47   #1802  |  Link
VBB

Thank you Moritz, and Happy New Year!
Old 3rd January 2023, 01:59   #1803  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Thanks for liking The Chicago Transit Authority.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:31   #1804  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Chicago (with and without the suffix) has been a favorite of mine for more than 30 years now, and I still love their music to pieces today.

Old 5th January 2023, 12:21   #1805  |  Link
outhud9

Hi,

I've been having trouble getting MKVToolnix GUI to open on Linux Mint for a while now. Same issue on both LM21 and 21.1. I upgraded from LM20.3 a few months ago, but can't tell for certain if this is when the problem started. It had been working fine for years.

I've tried the version from the default repos (v65 I think?) and also 71 and now 73 today. I've tried with the mkvtoolnix Ubuntu repo, the Linux Mint repo and also with the AppImage. I used apt remove --purge mkvtoolnix* between different install attempts.

Same issue on all of them, the GUI doesn't open.

From a terminal --help and --version give the expected outputs, but running mkvtoolnix-gui alone doesn't open the GUI window.

After running mkvtoolnix-gui, I see this is from ps aux for about 10-15 seconds:

Code:
me@me-desktop:~$ ps aux | grep MKV
me       28416  1.4  0.0 388296 31708 pts/0    Sl+  11:17   0:00 /tmp/.mount_MKVTooQcX2CD/usr/bin/mkvtoolnix-gui
me       28419  4.6  0.0  12572  2528 ?        Ssl  11:17   0:00 ./MKVToolNix_GUI-73.0.0-x86_64.AppImage
and then both of these end, and I'm returned to a terminal prompt.

Anything I can try to debug this? Thanks!
outhud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 15:03   #1806  |  Link
Ripman

Fixed width SRT?

Hi Moritz. HNY. Thanks for the years of quality sw.

Sometimes we get subtitles that are formatted as closed captions - basically, subtitles that are fixed width. You can extract CC's as srt subtitles with CCExtractor_win_portable_v0.94, as an example.

So I got one CC srt file recently, and I wanted to add it to an MKV. These fixed width subtitles are always the same length per line - for the attached, it seems like 32 and 39. The non- white space text can start in any column. Even if your player centers subtitle text, the fixed width ensures that whatever "positioning" was used in the CC is also maintained.

So I muxed the fixed width srt into an mkv, and it gave strange results. I extracted the muxed srt, and it looks like white space is being chomped, but not for every line. It seems like all trailing white space is chomped, but not all leading white space is chomped. Ideally, unless the standard says otherwise, the subtitle text should not be changed at all - no chomping.

I have attached the original fixed width srt, and the srt extracted from the mkv I muxed.

Any insights on this one, M? Best.....
Attached Files
File Type: rar SRTs.rar (101.2 KB, 10 views)
Ripman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 16:33   #1807  |  Link
Klaus1189

Upload to Google drive or similar
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2023, 18:40   #1808  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Upload to Google drive or similar
Regarding the fixed width srt finding I posted above, here is a link to all relevant files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ke6mpclls...-5dGgVbLa?dl=0

Win 10. Mkvtoolnix mkvmerge mkvextract v73.0.0.

The extracted srt file that is chomped - it displays that way on a TV or Vic when playing.
Old 12th January 2023, 19:58   #1809  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm not sure if always keeping all whitespace is really the right thing to do. I'm definitely willing of making the behavior configurable, though. Please open an issue over on Gitlab for it. Otherwise chances are I'll forget about it again. Thanks.

Old 12th January 2023, 22:12   #1810  |  Link
Ripman

I agree on the white space issue. None of the subtitle processing tools even give an option to preserve white space - Subtitle Edit, aegissub, SubSync, etc.

Either way, thanks as usual. I’ll put something over at git.
Old 12th January 2023, 22:43   #1811  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
I agree on the white space issue. None of the subtitle processing tools even give an option to preserve white space - Subtitle Edit, aegissub, SubSync, etc.

Either way, thanks as usual. I’ll put something over at git.
I created issue 3470 over at gitlab. Here is the link.

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/3470

Thanks everyone.

ADDED: I will say that editing these fixed width files can be tricky because of the aforementioned lack of support in some of the popular subtitle processing tools. So, in this particular case, the fixed width CCs are what comes from the video container - it's the source. I then re-created the srt without white space, which is in the dbox folder. I used SubSync to align these subtitle timecodes more closely. I then used a custom perl script I had to transfer the updated timecodes to the fixed width srt, which is also in the dbox folder. The UTF-8 srt files that come from CCExtractor_win_portable_v0.94 do not contain a BOM, so I had to manually insert those 3 bytes => used UltraEdit in hex mode.

Last edited by Ripman; 12th January 2023 at 22:57.
Old 15th January 2023, 12:24   #1812  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Would be possible to give a directory for the files to attach?

It could be useful for many (who said fonts?) and positively useful for me
Old 15th January 2023, 13:02   #1813  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Since v72 you can drag & drop directories onto the "attachments" tab and the GUI will attach all files in that directory.

Old 16th January 2023, 18:38   #1814  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Since v72 you can drag & drop directories onto the "attachments" tab and the GUI will attach all files in that directory.
I want to do it with command line, as it's a batch.
Old 16th January 2023, 19:48   #1815  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You'll have to set up the command line with all the file names from that folder yourself; mkvmerge cannot help you with it.

Old 18th January 2023, 06:34   #1816  |  Link
Ripman

Thanks for that update. I tested 73.0.0.11 from the continuous builds with the new option that was added and the fixed width srt from the dbox link above. The srt file gets muxed in without any issues or changes.

Unfortunately- the idea of fixed width srt text files is not workable based on my simple tests. Vlc doesnÂ’t use fixed spacing for text subtitles, so the fixed width formatting doesnÂ’t work there. On my pioneer BDP-80 Elite, it doesnÂ’t even show the first subtitle - the unit freezes. The unit works fine with leading spaces on either subtitle lines 2 or 3.

So nothing useful here but at least the spaces are trimmed by default now. The thanks again btw.
Old 20th January 2023, 00:49   #1817  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
You'll have to set up the command line with all the file names from that folder yourself; mkvmerge cannot help you with it.
In spare time, please, add the capability to use directory name too to include the files. It would help (at least me) to make scripts much readable and faster to paste in terminal.
Old 24th January 2023, 00:46   #1818  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
Thanks for that update. I tested 73.0.0.11 from the continuous builds with the new option that was added and the fixed width srt from the dbox link above. The srt file gets muxed in without any issues or changes.

Unfortunately- the idea of fixed width srt text files is not workable based on my simple tests. Vlc doesnÂ’t use fixed spacing for text subtitles, so the fixed width formatting doesnÂ’t work there. On my pioneer BDP-80 Elite, it doesnÂ’t even show the first subtitle - the unit freezes. The unit works fine with leading spaces on either subtitle lines 2 or 3.

So nothing useful here but at least the spaces are trimmed by default now. The thanks again btw.
I may have spoken too soon - apologies for that.

Using mkvmerge/mkvextract/gui 73.0.0.11 on Win10.

It would seem that using the new "whitespace" option is doing something a little different to the input srt file. Attached: 1. An srt that I muxed into an mkv; and 2. What gets extracted from the muxed mkv using mkvextract from the command line.

It would seem there is one extra crlf being inserted between subtitle entries when using the "whitespace" option. Interestingly, I put a double-space in sub #684 of the input file and it seems to be maintained - so that's good. The one extra crlf may be the source of freezing units I mentioned in previous posts on the topic, but that remains to be seen. I've tested SRTs when NOT using the new "whitespace" option, and everything seems to go in and come out as expected.

You should be able to take the input SRT in the attached, mux it into any mkv you have using the new "whitespace" option, and then extract the SRT to get the output SRT in the attached. Easy breezy. Thanks Moritz.
Attached Files
File Type: rar SRTs.rar (77.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Ripman; 24th January 2023 at 01:05.
Old 24th January 2023, 13:50   #1819  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Shoudl be fixed now.

Old 26th January 2023, 16:34   #1820  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Shoudl be fixed now.
All good with 73.0.0.18. I inserted a fixed width srt file into an mkv. I extracted the srt with mkvextract and diff it with the original - everything matches and is fine.

No player freezes either. So that’s good.

I still don’t think these types of things work too well bc it requires the display to output fixed width characters, which most don’t. I suppose playing with various fonts on the playing device or sw could help.

Btw - I came across this while looking at some old DVDs that I’d replaced with BDs. Seems some old mpeg2 tracks have CCs embedded. Some examples I’ve come across:
- The Sting 2DVD special edition
- The Parallax view
- The Sheena Easton video on the Bond BD - For your eyes only
- Men of respect - early 90s DVD

THANKS AGAIN M. THE SW IS REALLY GREAT.

Tags
matroska