Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 18th October 2021, 18:31   #361  |  Link
Krautmaster

i'm still confused how to get the best audio at low bitrate from my LG OLED to my Q950A soundbar.

The 7.1True HD tracks consume a ton of space. I read that Plex is able to convert 7.1 true hd to 7.1 DD+, but i wonder how. FFMPEG or the thread here ends up having 5.1.

The LG can also convert internally AAC 7.1 to DD for ARC but I cant say of it does the same in 7.1 or 5.1 as this dumb soundbar does not tell ya how many channels it receives.

Why the heck cant the ffmpeg internal eac3 encoder handle 7.1 DD+ reencode?? Its only 2 channels more.
Krautmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 22:35   #362  |  Link
tebasuna51

If you want surround 3D you can't recode the tracks TrueHD/EAC3 Atmos or DTS:X you must preserve the original tracks.

If you are talking about surround 2D you don't need at all 7.1 channels, is more than enough 5.1 channels to obtain a full 2D surround.
Old 31st October 2021, 13:13   #363  |  Link
tebasuna51

There are a new v1.3.2 (download link in first post)
Only solve a bug.

Changelog
=========
- v1.3.2 2021-10-31 Solved bug regresion in Merge Wav's function.
Old 9th November 2021, 21:38   #364  |  Link
szabi

Hi

I asked it 5 years ago then 3 years ago and last year as well.
It is time to ask again.
Are there any development regarding 7.1 channel dolby digital plus encoding?

Regards
szabi
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2021, 11:14   #365  |  Link
tebasuna51

The answer is not far:
Looking for a eac3 7.1 encoder
Old 25th November 2021, 23:26   #366  |  Link
karbre

I'm currently trying to re-encode a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 + Atmos track to DTS-HD MA 7.1 in order to remove the Atmos extensions (it is revisionist in this case and I don't want them in my file). As the DTS-HD MA encoder needs separate channel wav files, I used UsEac3To v1.3.1 to convert the thd to w64 and now want to use ffmpeg to extract the 8 mono tracks.

However I'm confused about the channel layout (for use in the ffmpeg command), as MediaInfo reports different channel layouts on the source .thd and the resulting .w64: .thd is reported as "L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb", while the result w64 is reported as "L R C LFE Lb Rb Ls Rs".

Is it correct that UsEac3To changed the channel layout? Can I trust the MediaInfo report for the further steps of my workflow?
karbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 00:44   #367  |  Link
tebasuna51

You have two options with UsEac3to:

1) Extract the THD without Atmos metadata (remain 7.1 lossless with less size than the DTS-MA):

a) put in COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS the ffmpeg filter:
-bsf:a truehd_core -c:a copy
b) Clik in 'A/V Recode', 'Add to DEC' in 'Use Command Line Parameters', thd in 'Decode, lossless, WavDts'
EDIT: must be 'Replace ENC' instead 'Add to DEC'

Run or Enqueue

2) If you still want recode to DTS-MA you can obtain the monowavs directly with eac3to:

%_.wavs

And eac3to never change the channel layout, MediaInfo can show the internal order of channels and can be different in a encoded file than in wav/w64.
Don't worry, the decoder output the correct channel order.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 26th November 2021 at 11:55. Reason: correct wrong info
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 03:36   #368  |  Link
karbre

Thanks, that was super helpful! I used the ffmpeg filter which I did not know before.

Option 1a) however somehow led to a 5.1 file instead of 7.1, and also with bigger file size than the 7.1 produced by the other version. Also the log produced the warning "Only mono and stereo are supported at the moment.", which does not really make sense considering the output was 5.1.

But well, one way that works is enough for me
karbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 11:45   #369  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbre View Post
Option 1a) however somehow led to a 5.1 file instead of 7.1, and also with bigger file size than the 7.1 produced by the other version. Also the log produced the warning "Only mono and stereo are supported at the moment.", which does not really make sense considering the output was 5.1
Seems ffmpeg recode the file to thd instead only extract the core deleting the Atmos metadata.

My fault: to copy instead recode we need 'Replace ENC' with CLP

In the image the complete steps to do the procedure.
The output is
Quote:
command line:eac3to 00001.m2ts_2eng.thd_.thd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TrueHD, 7.1 channels, 48kHz
with sizes:
Code:
60.654.740 00001.m2ts_2eng.thd
45.019.306 00001.m2ts_2eng.thd_.thd
Attached Images

Old 18th December 2021, 20:10   #370  |  Link
szabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
The answer is not far:
Looking for a eac3 7.1 encoder
Seems still no solution.
Maybe next year.
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 11:05   #371  |  Link
DanDare1983

I have a quick question. Can you queue up movies using the demux option as I only seem to be able to demux one folder at a time. When you have a lot of movies to demux, clicking on each file you want to demux takes time so just by clicking demux and adding to queue would be alot easier.
DanDare1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 22:50   #372  |  Link
tebasuna51

If you put in COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS:

%_.*

You can EnQueue the demux job.

Load other file, without clear the CLP, and EnQueue...
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:24   #373  |  Link
DanDare1983

Thankyou for your help, works perfect. I have one more question, basically its in regards to save destination. For some reason the demuxed files go to the actual program folder? I've tried same as input and also user defined but no good. Also when i demux a movie with two films on one disc or one of the extras along with the main movie they both go in the same folder and tend to overwrite each other, is there a way to keep seperate?
Old 5th January 2022, 00:19   #374  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare1983 View Post
For some reason the demuxed files go to the actual program folder? I've tried same as input and also user defined but no good.
Work fine here.
Remember define the 'User defined' in Settings -> Output folder
When it is not defined use the program folder.

Quote:
Also when i demux a movie with two films on one disc or one of the extras along with the main movie they both go in the same folder and tend to overwrite each other, is there a way to keep seperate?
You always can modify the sufix:

%_Main.*
and
%_Extra1.*
Old 6th January 2022, 22:11   #375  |  Link
DanDare1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Work fine here.
Remember define the 'User defined' in Settings -> Output folder
When it is not defined use the program folder.

You always can modify the sufix:

%_Main.*
and
%_Extra1.*
Thankyou as always for getting back to me with an answer. I've just realised that all the files with % next to them go in the correct folder but when I simply type
-demux the demuxed files go in the program folder. Do I have to put something like %-demux to get the files to the same folder as the source? Also I didn't know that the demux files can be automatically remuxed with mkvmerge, I only found out whilst trying some of the options. This saves alot of time although theirs a few things I would like to ask? 1) when I picked all tracks including chapters and run with runmkv I noticed its just the video and main audio that are remuxed without commentary, subs, chapters etc 2) is their any settings I can use as I'm not used to mkvmerge command, only the gui 3) I have a few movies with extra black video/padding, coloured bars and extra video which has nothing to do with the movie, do you know how I would trim the video etc to make it right. I've been directed to a program called dgdemux which from what I've seen is a very capable program dealing with video with these problems, although I find it quite limited as theirs no audio conversion and you can't queue up files which isn't good when you have lots of files to demux
Old 7th January 2022, 09:09   #376  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare1983 View Post
I've just realised that all the files with % next to them go in the correct folder but when I simply type
-demux the demuxed files go in the program folder. Do I have to put something like %-demux to get the files to the same folder as the source?
The character '%' is invalid for filenames and the GUI parse the CLP to replace that character by the folder (input folder or user defined) and the name of input file.

If you use ' % -demux' and have 'User defined' folder selected work fine, but if you have the input folder selected eac3to show:
Code:
Input and output file names overlap.  <ERROR>
and the output go to program folder.

For that I say you: ' %_.*', the '*' is equivalent to demux, but with the '_' like sufix to override the overlap of names (you can use anything like sufix).

Quote:
Also I didn't know that the demux files can be automatically remuxed with mkvmerge, I only found out whilst trying some of the options. This saves alot of time although theirs a few things I would like to ask? 1) when I picked all tracks including chapters and run with runmkv I noticed its just the video and main audio that are remuxed without commentary, subs, chapters etc
Please read '7) Run and MkvMux' in the Readme_UsEac3To.txt file.
Only work for some process:
1) First run eac3to for one/zero video and one/two audios.
Any other track is ignored after by mkvmerge.
2) After run mkvmerge with the video extracted (without audio, subs or chapters) or the input file (preserving video, subs and chapters) and the 1/2 audios extracted by eac3to.

Quote:
2) is their any settings I can use as I'm not used to mkvmerge command, only the gui
Nope, the UsEac3toGUI try to help you for frequent process but can't cover all options.
The generic use is demux/convert all the tracks of input files with eac3to, do some auxiliary process (modify video, audio, subs,...) and after use MkvToolNix to obtain the final output.

Quote:
3) I have a few movies with extra black video/padding, coloured bars and extra video which has nothing to do with the movie, do you know how I would trim the video etc to make it right. I've been directed to a program called dgdemux which from what I've seen is a very capable program dealing with video with these problems, although I find it quite limited as theirs no audio conversion and you can't queue up files which isn't good when you have lots of files to demux
To cut video without recode it you can try AviDemux or LosslessCut, but not always is possible a exact cut, maybe you need recode the video with other tools.
Old 10th January 2022, 21:34   #377  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoVaR View Post
Right now encoding 7.1 audio tract to AAC creates flawed files.
REAR_SURROUND channels are mapped to the SURROUND channels.
Content of SURROUND channels is completely lost and replaced with empty (silent) tract.
The 4 encoders included in UsEac3toGUI-Audio Recode (qaac, Nero, Fghaac and ffmpeg) work fine with 7.1 AAC.

Quote:
I am not 100% confident if the issue is with decoding ...
Seems is a problem with your decoder, use ffmpeg (libav) to decode.
Old 14th January 2022, 13:50   #378  |  Link
KoVaR

You are right.
AAC files indeed have a proper 7.1 audio.
It is me AV receiver that can't handle it.
Bummer ☹

Thank you for your involvement.
KoVaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 14:26   #379  |  Link
DanDare1983

Hi,

I'm having trouble adding single m2ts files. I would like something like 0007m2ts+0008m2ts+00012 as the first m2ts in the playlist is just 2 secs of padding causing audio to out of sync. I try to add 1 m2ts and then another but it keeps opening as a new file and doesn't add to the existing m2ts. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
Old 8th February 2022, 14:35   #380  |  Link
tebasuna51

Let in a folder only the m2ts you want.
Load the first and click '+ Sources'