Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2021, 15:56   #61221  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanden View Post
The Xeon X7460 reads in CPU and Core 2 Duo E6550 reads in GPU (I can test in CPU frame by frame).
On the Xeon X7460 I can set "color tweaks for fire & explosions" and "highlight recovery":
On the Core 2 Duo E6550 I cannot adjust them (In CPU or GPU):
But even by setting both the same, I have a display difference:
To get access to the color tweaks and highlight recovery options, go to rendering => trade quality for performance, and uncheck "compromise on HDR tone & gamut...".
It's also best to uncheck "compromise on HDR luminance..." for best quality. Note that this will obviously use more GPU but the 1060 should be able to handle it.
Also, note that if you are using "DXVA2 native" as the hardware decoder with the 1060 then madVR won't be able to do some steps of HDR processing. With D3D11 native (or other decoders) it will work.
I hope this fixes the colour differences you are having.
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:10   #61222  |  Link
IngramAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
You are using test build 114.

Test builds from 114 on are timed-limited.
Does this mean it will stop working? Seems ok so far besides the message appearing.

Is there a 115 or anything newer to update to?
IngramAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:49   #61223  |  Link
VBB

Yes, it means your particular build will stop working soon.

The latest test build can be found here: http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure122.zip
Old 2nd February 2021, 23:04   #61224  |  Link
vanden

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
To get access to the color tweaks and highlight recovery options, go to rendering => trade quality for performance, and uncheck "compromise on HDR tone & gamut...".
It's also best to uncheck "compromise on HDR luminance..." for best quality. Note that this will obviously use more GPU but the 1060 should be able to handle it.
Also, note that if you are using "DXVA2 native" as the hardware decoder with the 1060 then madVR won't be able to do some steps of HDR processing. With D3D11 native (or other decoders) it will work.
I hope this fixes the colour differences you are having.
Thank you !

I first tick "color tweaks for fire & explosions" and "constast recovery" on the 2 PCs :

I get the same colors :
http://vandenk.free.fr/Pc1&Pc2-2.html

My 650 Ti bug, as soon as I uncheck "color tweaks for fire & explosions" ...:

http://vandenk.free.fr/Pc1&Pc2-3.html
I let them tick on the 650 Ti!
But it works well on the 1060 !!
vanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 04:45   #61225  |  Link
IngramAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Yes, it means your particular build will stop working soon.

The latest test build can be found here: http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure122.zip
Thankyou. I upgraded to 118 so I'll hold off on 122 until I get the message to move on lol.

I use HDR passthrough so these builds won't be doing anything for me anyway.
IngramAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 11:56   #61226  |  Link
ang3l

hi,

how is the situation on hdr switching for amd rx6000 and nvidia rtx3000? right now I have a rx480 and it works without problems

also the 23.976hz for the nvida rtx has improved? in the past I had a 9600gt and it was a disaster compared to amd

sorry guys but it's hard to get this fresh new information
ang3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 18:32   #61227  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang3l View Post
hi,

how is the situation on hdr switching for amd rx6000 and nvidia rtx3000? right now I have a rx480 and it works without problems

also the 23.976hz for the nvida rtx has improved? in the past I had a 9600gt and it was a disaster compared to amd

sorry guys but it's hard to get this fresh new information
I created a dedicated thread for this stuff and update it daily if necessary for new driver updates, new infos of bugs or known limitations of specific GPUs and or drivers:
AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version

I summarized in the first two posts
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 21:51   #61228  |  Link
Zulithe

MPC-BE crashes when madVR is enabled now. Just shows a black screen and shortly after the player crashes. I tried both current madVR stable and the latest madVRhdrMeasure123.zip build. I haven't changed any madVR settings in months, but reset its settings and it didn't help. Seemed to start within the last week, during that time I got a series of windows updates and updated to MPC-BE new stable version. For the time being I switched to MPC Video Renderer and it works fine. Any thoughts on what I should try?
setup:
Win 10 x64 20H2 (19042.789)
MPC-BE x64 1.5.6.6000
nvidia 461.40 drivers
display: hdr capable but I don't have hdr enabled in Windows currently
Since it only happens with madVR I thought I should post it here, if I should instead ask in the MPC-BE thread I will.

Last edited by Zulithe; 4th February 2021 at 21:53.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 22:21   #61229  |  Link
VBB

Go back one build number. The new build is reportedly crashing a lot of systems.

EDIT: Workaround seems to be to open madVR at least once before attempting playback.

2nd EDIT: Mathias posted a fixed build: http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure123b.zip

Last edited by VBB; 4th February 2021 at 23:11.
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 23:38   #61230  |  Link
ang3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
I created a dedicated thread for this stuff and update it daily if necessary for new driver updates, new infos of bugs or known limitations of specific GPUs and or drivers:
AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version

I summarized in the first two posts
thxxx
ang3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 23:51   #61231  |  Link
Zulithe

Quote:
Go back one build number. The new build is reportedly crashing a lot of systems.

EDIT: Workaround seems to be to open madVR at least once before attempting playback.

2nd EDIT: Mathias posted a fixed build: http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure123b.zip
Sadly did not fix it... the crash happens on stable too. I'm not sure it's related to the changes in the test builds, since I also tried rolling back to stable

*edit* ack, thought I fixed it but nope

Last edited by Zulithe; 5th February 2021 at 00:13.
Old 5th February 2021, 00:51   #61232  |  Link
VBB

Does it crash with MPC-HC instead of MPC-BE?
Old 5th February 2021, 01:02   #61233  |  Link
Zulithe

Quote:
Does it crash with MPC-HC instead of MPC-BE?
It crashes both. Just downloaded MPC-HC 1.9.8.26 Portable Beta to test it.
Old 5th February 2021, 01:27   #61234  |  Link
VBB

That is odd. If I were you, I'd completely uninstall madVR by using the included batch file. Then re-install using this http://madshi.net/madVR.zip. After that, you can copy any of the test builds on top, if you feel like it. Also, try the latest MPC-HC here https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/rel....8.157.x64.zip, just in case (unless that's the version you are talking about).
Old 5th February 2021, 01:45   #61235  |  Link
Zulithe

Quote:
That is odd. If I were you, I'd completely uninstall madVR by using the included batch file. Then re-install using this http://madshi.net/madVR.zip. After that, you can copy any of the test builds on top, if you feel like it. Also, try the latest MPC-HC here https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/rel....8.157.x64.zip, just in case (unless that's the version you are talking about).
I sincerely thank you for the replies, but I have tried that over and over again. Tried rebooting. Tried re-installing my video drivers. reinstalled every program in my video playing stack and reset all their settings. tried madvr stable (same as your link) and even the test build, freshly extracting the files each time in case I was making some kind of error. tried mpc-be and latest stable mpc-hc (used the installer you linked just to make sure), both crash when using madvr but not other renderers. Tried opening madHcCtrl after I cleanly install madvr (with settings reset) first to see if that helped as I saw that mentioned in the AVS thread. Tried checking my system for errors with SFC and DISM commands. Nothing has worked and I'm stumped!

I've used MadVR for years and years, never encountered this.

Only thing I can come up with is that it might have something to do with the Cumulative updates MS pushed on 2/3, guess i'll have to try reverting those next since nothing else is working, but I've never had an update rollup break something like this before.

Last edited by Zulithe; 5th February 2021 at 02:00.
Old 5th February 2021, 03:25   #61236  |  Link
VBB

Hmm, that sucks. I can tell you that I also have those latest cumulative previews installed, and I don't have your issues. Same Nvidia driver, too. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:19   #61237  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I sincerely thank you for the replies, but I have tried that over and over again. Tried rebooting. Tried re-installing my video drivers. reinstalled every program in my video playing stack and reset all their settings. tried madvr stable (same as your link) and even the test build, freshly extracting the files each time in case I was making some kind of error. tried mpc-be and latest stable mpc-hc (used the installer you linked just to make sure), both crash when using madvr but not other renderers. Tried opening madHcCtrl after I cleanly install madvr (with settings reset) first to see if that helped as I saw that mentioned in the AVS thread. Tried checking my system for errors with SFC and DISM commands. Nothing has worked and I'm stumped!

I've used MadVR for years and years, never encountered this.

Only thing I can come up with is that it might have something to do with the Cumulative updates MS pushed on 2/3, guess i'll have to try reverting those next since nothing else is working, but I've never had an update rollup break something like this before.
I've had this issue once a long time ago when I used to host MADVR on my C windows drive, I think the registry entries got currupted somehow.

try throwing everything at it in one go.

remove MADVR
remove GFX your drivers
reboot
reinstall known working GFX driver
reinstall madvr in a new location on another hard drive, use default settings, dont change anything just to see if plays stable.
Old 5th February 2021, 12:24   #61238  |  Link
jkauff

Another approach to try would be to change the permissions on the c:\madVR folder. Like most things on the C: drive, it's probably set to Read Only, which means madVR can't write the Settings file to the folder.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 17:16   #61239  |  Link
clsid

It stores the settings in the Registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR

The settings .bin file is just an extra backup copy of the settings. It is not required.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 21:32   #61240  |  Link
Zulithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I've had this issue once a long time ago when I used to host MADVR on my C windows drive, I think the registry entries got currupted somehow.

try throwing everything at it in one go.

remove MADVR
remove GFX your drivers
reboot
reinstall known working GFX driver
reinstall madvr in a new location on another hard drive, use default settings, dont change anything just to see if plays stable.
Fixed it. What finally did it was disabling my internet, booting into safe mode and using DDU to completely remove my nvidia drivers, reboot, install latest drivers, reboot, enable internet, and now it works. Had to go HAM on the drivers, something got broken somehow. All done. Thanks for the replies all.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling