Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2020, 21:15   #59261  |  Link
mclingo

ineed it most likely wont be MADVR but I bet everyone would love to see v1.0 with a few bug fixes at some point, one last hurrah !
Old 20th April 2020, 04:44   #59262  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
both custom res broken again for me today, going to buy back my old RX580 as a final test to ensure its defo this card thats causing the problems with timings, once i know for sure i'll decide whether i can live with them and get the better gaming/tone mapping performance or sell the RX5700 and prefer stability.

would have been nice to have some input from MADSHI on this but thats not going to happen sadly
Get a used 1070/1080 for best compatibility.

Coronavirus is making future prices uncertain for the new gen, but if you want it to work TODAY, stick with what we know works w/ least bugs and that's 10xx gen Nvidia
Old 20th April 2020, 04:48   #59263  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by failax View Post
I have to try it because i have an Intel Nuc8I3Beh that can't do tone mapping in real time without losing frames.
We recommend a 1070 or 1080gtx for madvr's tonemapping.

1060 will work as well, as long as you don't need some of the other quality of life features.
Old 20th April 2020, 05:23   #59264  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
1060 will work as well, as long as you don't need some of the other quality of life features.
What are these features actually ? Not for 60 fps of course.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 09:57   #59265  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
You can google for "madVRhdrMeasure86.zip" if you want to try. The newer builds don't work correctly with measurement files anymore (you get a black screen) so you can't use them or directly compare with a recent build.
The latest version of madmeasurehdr works with the latest beta version of madVR here.

BTW, there's links in the OP for these tools.

Quote:
Like what? 1060 - 3GB here.

1080p > 4K with NGU sharp high on luma and NGA sharp low x 2 on chroma.
Calibration with 3dlut.
Some upscaling refinement.

Just under 30ms on windows 10 with the latest updates to bring hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.

Realtime HDR on 4K (full 16:9) with NGU high on chroma and some upscaling refinement sits just under 40ms here. Need to compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy at these settings, or drop to jinc upscaling without the compromise.

The latest updates have worked wonders here. Previously I couldn't get these settings (NGU on chroma), and especially the comprise on HDR, I always needed that active before (from memory).

edit: dropping the queues helps here to, I'm running 8,8,4,4,4.

Last edited by Audionut; 20th April 2020 at 10:10.
Audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 12:30   #59266  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Realtime HDR on 4K (full 16:9) with NGU high on chroma and some upscaling refinement sits just under 40ms here. Need to compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy at these settings, or drop to jinc upscaling without the compromise.
Realtime HDR on 4K means that you play 4k sources on an 4k display, so:
Upscaling refinements dont work by 4k sources on 4k displays, only by upscaling, right ?
What's HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy ?
Jinc upscaling doesn't work by 4k sources either ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 17:33   #59267  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Get a used 1070/1080 for best compatibility.

Coronavirus is making future prices uncertain for the new gen, but if you want it to work TODAY, stick with what we know works w/ least bugs and that's 10xx gen Nvidia

Hi, i'm stuck with AMD right now as I still have a 3D OLED and hopefully will do for a long time ahead as OLED 3D is sublime.

I think i've got it working properly on driver 20.2.2 but it could be fluke, need to see how this plays out for a few days, i'm getting 15 hours + for timing in both 2D and 3D

however, and this is something i've only just picked up on and its super odd. When I use my Arctis pro headphones for audio instead of HDMI audio through my speakers my timings drop back to 30 mins again, I could just plug my headphoens into my amp but I bough these because they were wireless and they've worked fine right up until recently when I changed my motherboard/cpu/ram.

starting to wish i'd remained with intel and not bought a ryzen system.
Old 20th April 2020, 18:11   #59268  |  Link
Perza83

madvr doesn't change to my optimized custom mode (Nvidia gpu)

Specs:
Win 10 fully updated, Geforce gtx1050ti, Sony x950g hdmi

So trying to get no repeated/dropped frames in madvr I optimized (did test and chose a good preset) a custom mode for a 23hz mode and madvr successfully created a custom display mode in nvidia panel under "Custom". Now the problem is even though the madvr changes frequency on a video start it doesn't change to that custom mode with custom timings but only to a 23hz mode so I stil get a repeated frame every 4.5 minutes. If I manually change to that custom mode from Nvidia control panel and then play the video I get proper no dropped/repeated frames playback. So is it possible for madvr to choose that custom mode instead of just changing the refresh rate? Or am I missing something? I don't want to manually switch between display modes everytime I watch a movie since I also use this computer for other things. Thank you for your help

Some pictures of my settings:
https://i.imgur.com/6ebjFe4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/q5aEc7g.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wwMfDRQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zToxFPn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LXMgsL9.jpg
Perza83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 18:27   #59269  |  Link
chros

You have to use CRU.
Old 20th April 2020, 19:07   #59270  |  Link
mrmojo666

even someone said that is pointless what i was saying, timining on mt amd rx460 went crazy qhen i used a different audio output than video HDMI, @mclingo i think you should connect headphones to the avr.
Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 19:08   #59271  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perza83 View Post
So trying to get no repeated/dropped frames in madvr I optimized (did test and chose a good preset) a custom mode for a 23hz mode and madvr successfully created a custom display mode in nvidia panel under "Custom". Now the problem is even though the madvr changes frequency on a video start it doesn't change to that custom mode with custom timings but only to a 23hz mode so I stil get a repeated frame every 4.5 minutes.
You can try the method chros linked to or alternatively you can try to use different multiples of the frame rates as refresh rate.
E.g. you can use 2*23.976 = 47.952Hz as refresh rate and you have to find out, if your display device accepts it.
Then you can use the whitelist in madVR (list all display modes...) and leave out 2160p23 and use 2160p47 instead. MadVR has a built-in logic and knows what to do.
If this doesnīt work go the CRU route (or if you prefer this way).
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 19:39   #59272  |  Link
Perza83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
You can try the method chros linked to or alternatively you can try to use different multiples of the frame rates as refresh rate.
E.g. you can use 2*23.976 = 47.952Hz as refresh rate and you have to find out, if your display device accepts it.
Then you can use the whitelist in madVR (list all display modes...) and leave out 2160p23 and use 2160p47 instead. MadVR has a built-in logic and knows what to do.
If this doesnīt work go the CRU route (or if you prefer this way).
Ok so I tried CRU and make (add) a custom detailed resolution with results madvr gave me but it won't acknowledge my input parameters...Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't cru supposed to replace the display mode already in the system? For example I would want to have a display mode of 3840x2160@23hz with madvr parameters (back porch etc.) which will replace the existing one. Sorry for not understanding this... Appreciate all the help.
Edit: I'm supposed to add an extension block to support greater values for front porch

https://imgur.com/a/pmPuMg2
https://imgur.com/a/dn1RaVC

Last edited by Perza83; 20th April 2020 at 19:54.
Perza83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 19:42   #59273  |  Link
mparade

I have calibrated my UHD SDR monitor using CalMan with colorspace sRGB and gamma formula ITU BT. 1886 settings (recommended by CalMan nowadays for darker rooms displaying content on an LCD). Within the "display is already calibrated" section, what is the recommended setting for such a calibration? BT.709 and power curve 2.4?

Thank you very much for the help in advance.

Last edited by mparade; 20th April 2020 at 19:45.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 19:43   #59274  |  Link
Trendy

Hi there
Is there any kind of benchmark for MadVR performances ?
I currently use a GTX 1080, which is fine, i may need extra processing power for noise reduction for example, but i'm not interested in a small (like 20%) gain.
Trendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 21:14   #59275  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perza83 View Post
Ok so I tried CRU and make (add) a custom detailed resolution with results madvr gave me but it won't acknowledge my input parameters...Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't cru supposed to replace the display mode already in the system? For example I would want to have a display mode of 3840x2160@23hz with madvr parameters (back porch etc.) which will replace the existing one.
Edit: I'm supposed to add an extension block to support greater values for front porch
CRU is supposed to replace the existing display modes (realized by your display deviceīs EDID entries), yes.
Before going the CRU route, I would start with fresh settings, so remove all previous custom resolution attempts by e.g. madVR or within your GPU driver, so everything in this regard is at default.
Chros explained in his post everything needed.
You can use an extension block or if your front porch isnīt allowed you can subtract a certain number and add the same number to your back porch, donīt touch sync width and nake the total number stay always the same.

If your display accepts 23 Hz (23.976) and 50Hz or 60Hz, then there are good chances that it accepts 47Hz (47.952Hz = 2 * 23.976 Hz) as well, so you could try to implement that by madVR and use that (if your CRU approach fails).
There seem to be some problems with the 23 and 24 Hz modes. Sometimes they are confused, sometimes you canīt edit them or override them.
So itīs a 'cleaner' approach to use the otherwise unused 47.952Hz instead, this frequency wonīt be overwritten/replaced/modified by GPU driver or OS because itīs no 'special value'.
The special values often used for video are 23.976/24.000/29.970/50.000/59.940 Hz. Most often 23.976Hz and 24.000Hz lead to problems.
If you play back movies with 23.976fps and 24.000 fps (e.g. often used in services like Amazon Prime), you have to establish both of them, but often they conflict. Then there is often no other way than use different multiples.
Many people donīt think of that possibility, but itīs a quite normal approach and using 2 * frame rate as refresh rate has absolutely no disadvantage compared to using refresh rate = frame rate.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 22:39   #59276  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
even someone said that is pointless what i was saying, timining on mt amd rx460 went crazy qhen i used a different audio output than video HDMI, @mclingo i think you should connect headphones to the avr.

I've got my headphones sorted as well now. I've setup MPC-HC specifically for headphone playback, if I turn off bitstreaming and use reclock as renderer I get perfect timings again. I then just use KODI-DS for main playback, i'll probably setup an identical KODI DS version for headphones at some point as I really only use MPC for testing stuff.

I dont like wires running across my floor and I like to walk over to the fridge with them on and grab another beer, just loads more convenient for me.

If I replace them at some point I may consider that though but i want to get my Ģ300 worth out of them first, not even had them a year yet, apart from this minor issue they are fantastic.
Old 20th April 2020, 23:07   #59277  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy View Post
Hi there
Is there any kind of benchmark for MadVR performance.
Monitor GPU utilization, clock speeds and render times and factor in noise. If you're not interested in 20% improvement then the only card you want is an RTX 2080 or 2080Ti and I believe for MadVR the 2080 is about a 20% increase anyway.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 00:37   #59278  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Monitor GPU utilization, clock speeds and render times and factor in noise. If you're not interested in 20% improvement then the only card you want is an RTX 2080 or 2080Ti and I believe for MadVR the 2080 is about a 20% increase anyway.
All turing cards can have frame stutter issues depending on software/drivers. This is not ironed out yet, so 10xx is still the way to go for compatibility.
Old 21st April 2020, 01:47   #59279  |  Link
ryrynz

Didn't the minimal buffers sort that for some? Also, I didn't think it was a problem for everyone, there's a number of people here using those cards for madVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 01:56   #59280  |  Link
huhn

correct. i'm not aware of a user that couldn't fix it by lowering the present buffer.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling