Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th February 2018, 09:51   #48801  |  Link
Sebastiii

I'm getting a message on screen asking me to update to latest LAVFilters version :P
Did you get this message too ? (i'm on nightly build)
Thanks.
Old 4th February 2018, 17:31   #48802  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
I'm getting a message on screen asking me to update to latest LAVFilters version :P
Wrong thread. This is for MadVR. Not LAVFilters.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 19:34   #48803  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls96 View Post
This time it worked for whole 7 minutes, i didn't paused it and it crashed MPC.
information before stuttering:https://abload.de/thumb/mpcinfowkoyr.png and during stuttering https://abload.de/thumb/mpcinfowkoyr.png
Both images you linked to are the same, could you please check the URLs again?
Why are you using a present queue of 2? Lack of VRAM? A GTX 970 should be fine, try at least 4.

Quote:
Thanks.
A message from madVR? What, on the OSD? Or in the config GUI? I've never seen that.
Old 4th February 2018, 20:30   #48804  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmickey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffenhh View Post
@Madshi, I can reproduce this:

When playing a hdr file and using "let madVR decide" under hdr settings, the image turn grayish/colorless when displaying subtitles.
When using "convert HDR to SDR via pixel shader math", the image maintains the colors when playing subtitles.
Thanks, will have a look at this when I find some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
I have only used 3 versions for this testing...
0.92.11 - not working - worst
0.92.1 - not working
0.91.11 - working

Never had this issue with any version prior to 0.91.11

Here are the files you requested, I've also added snips of each version showing the displays and idents - in the zip, so you can see the issue as is.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...20Settings.rar

Thanks for taking a look at this!
I'm getting "invalid download code".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Feature request, being able to customize saturation and hue settings a bit. Older anime can look a bit washed out, but I don't want to touch skin tones much or sometimes at all.
Anyone else keen on seeing a bit more flexibility here?
madVR already supports hue and saturation settings. You can use the media player settings for hue and saturation, madVR will do the actual processing. Or you can even use file tags, e.g. "saturation=+100".

Quote:
Also I'd like to see madVR being able to set preserve hue in HQ and restoring compressed highlights under 'let madVR decide' if required, or maybe these can be set as default? They improve HDR -> SDR picture quality considerably and don't cost a lot.
Hmmmm... You're right, the "let madVR decide" settings are currently not tuned for highest quality. I'll add that to my list of things to think about. The problem is that if I activate those features by default, users with very slow GPUs will get stuttering, without any obvious way to fix that. So it's not easy to solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statick View Post
I'm specifically using the zoom function in MadVR because of the superior scaling algorithms compared to media players. it does the job well, except for zooming away top and bottom bars which I would prefer it did not do
I've already explained how to solve your problem. Did you miss my post? If so, search back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
madshi, I see you explain how zoom control doesn't work when using D3D11 decoding in LAV Filters, I've also discovered that hardware deinterlacing through madVR doesn't work as well (when using 3D11 decoding).

Is this something that's going to change in the future or are there insurmountable obstacles stopping that?
No insurmountable obstacles, just a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc18 View Post
1) Create the 3DLUT for the BT.2020 colorspace and a gamma of your choice. Using DCI-P3 will give incorrect results.
I don't see why DCI-P3 wouldn't work, but I'm not going to discuss this here. I'm not really an expert in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
I find madVR's 'compress highlights' of HDR->SDR conversion to be too strong. It is trying to recover too much highlights, so much so that the result looks flat, without the necessary contrast.

For instance, a particular scene from Bladerunner 2049

bluray
uhd with madvr HDR->SDR conversion
- 130nits
- preserve hue (hi, 50/50)
- compress highlights (measure peak lum, restore details, AB-100, AR)

It is worth noting that if I passthrough HDR to the display, what I see with my eyes is closer to bluray. To my eyes, highlights look bright and blown.

@madshi, would it be possible to tone down the strength of highlight recovery, or provide an option?
I have on my to do list to add an option to trade some highlight detail for more "pop". I don't have an ETA for that right now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
under ngu sharp there is an option called superresolution, but I don't see any difference in using at maximum strength or not using it.
SuperRes is mainly useful for faster algos with low quality. If you're already using NGU, there's usually no reason to use SuperRes. For chroma it's probably not overly useful, anyway. I wouldn't bother with SuperRes for chroma, to be honest.

Quote:
Well I've looked at a few 4K videos and it does "harm" AFAIC, enough that I'd rather keep the option disabled and take almost 20 odd ms hit on my 1060. It's not like I'm doing anything with the 4K content other than downscaling anyway.. but with this option enabled as you can see in my previous screenshots it certainly affects the clarity of the image and based on what I've seen it's worth keeping it unticked if you have the performance to spare.
It's not just the general "chroma things" that get touched either like with upscaling..the whole image basically loses some vibrancy with this enabled.
Ok, fair enough. Well, the default settings are tuned for performance, so users with slow GPUs get a smooth experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
so, nevcairiel came to the conclusion that it is a renderer problem :
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...63#post1831863

only if I change the 3D setting in madVR from "auto" to "side-by-side" (as nevcairiel suggested) a smooth playback also of the faulty file-type is possible, but it’s very unstable: as soon I go with the mouse over the seek bar or fast-Forward, the playback gets jerky again;

so I have a few questions:

does the “side-by-side” trick provide the same quality as the “auto” mode (are 2 FHD pictures sent to the TV which it combines to a 3D-picture)?
Intel GPU drivers are pretty bad, unfortunately. Haven't had a chance to look at your PMs yet. There's some hope that things might improve for Intel GPUs when I finally switch madVR over to D3D11 rendering. But I don't know when that will happen exactly. Could be a while, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
I have a question about a note in the config GUI: next to "measure each frame's peak luminance" for HDR, it says: "(Does not work with DXVA scaling / decoding)". Is that still valid?
I'm using DXVA11 Native decoding for 2160p, and if I enable ShowRenderSteps, it does show a step 'measure peak luminance'.
Who's right, the config GUI or the OSD?
I'm not sure, from the top of my head. If the OSD says it's doing measurements, then it's probably working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Is the method to using madVR to take a screenshot dependent on the media player? I'm using Alt + I (which is the default shortcut) on mpc-be, is this the correct way?

I have a 4k HDR REC. 2020 file and saving 200% view as png crashes. It works with bmp. Saving 300% view as bmp just maxes out my memory (16GB), then drops to 100MB and madVR crashes saying it can't write to a certain address. Obviously 3x 4k is dumb but should it work?
madVR provides the raw pixel data, the media player does the rest. If BMP works and PNG crashes then it's probably MPC-BE's fault. Or maybe it's simply running out of RAM, I don't know.

Are you using a 32bit or 64bit MPC-BE? I suppose in 64bit running out of RAM should be nearly impossible if you're using a big enough page file. But I don't really know. It's also possible the GPU driver itself can't handle such big images. The GPU could also run out of RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbordas View Post
have you ever considered the idea of writing a book on video processing and MadVR?
At some point I'm going to write a documentation / help. That should be enough work on its own.

Quote:
Watched 4K blade runner 2049 on my 1060 6GB using SSIM 2D LL, upscaling chroma separately turned off (of course) and HQ HDR hue with NGU AA low for chroma. Had to overclock the card for it to have enough headroom and the fan was going pretty hard.. If u want to take HDR seriously (24fps) on a full HD TV a GTX 1060+ is a must. Asmodian will be jumping straight on Volta no doubt
To be fair, I have only seen very few situations where SSIM 2D looked noticeably better than SSIM 1D. So you could probably save quite a bit of performance by switching to SSIM 1D, without losing any noticeable image quality.

Quote:
Weird. You should get that message if you use an outdated LAV build (because some older versions produced crashes). But you should not get it with a recent nightly. What exact version number does your "LAVSplitter.ax" file have?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 20:36   #48805  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm getting "invalid download code".
Can you try this dropbox share...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkbxr5cmhw...tings.rar?dl=0

Thanks.
-Hitman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 20:44   #48806  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Can you try this dropbox share...
Got it. But fixing will need to wait for the next build.
Old 4th February 2018, 20:45   #48807  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.92.12 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added option "use reduce compression artifacts only if it comes for free"
* added experimental "diffuse white" HDR option (mainly for projector owners)
* improved non-hue-preserving HDR tone mapping
* removed low quality hue preserving HDR tone mapping
* HDR option "fix too bright & saturated pixels" is now always available
* display peak nits edit control now accepts down to 80 Nits (formerly 120 Nits)
* added 3dlut information to OSD (only if active)
* fixed: RCA wasn't always run as part of NGU, even though it should
* fixed: little OSD scaling info text glitch
* fixed: #228: deintFps was not 24 for 720p60 decimated 6:4 cadence content (forced film)
* fixed: #394: madvr OSD didn't resize properly when screen masking options are used
Old 4th February 2018, 20:50   #48808  |  Link
ryrynz

Cool. Any quick info on the hue changes, say comparative quality to the HQ setting and performance?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 21:01   #48809  |  Link
thighhighs

Thx for new build! Any info about upcoming features?
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 21:14   #48810  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
* added experimental "diffuse white" HDR option (mainly for projector owners)
Any explanation of what it does exactly please?

What are the differences between all these?

- 100 Nits
- 50 Nits, linear
- 50 Nits, spline
- 50 Nits, linear, desaturate
- 50 Nits, spline, desaturate

Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 21:19   #48811  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Yeah SSIM 2D is sharper though with less artifacts and I don't want to settle.
I totally understand that one. My HTPC is probably going to undergo a windows reinstall soon so I can get it back to working status. 3D has been a problem but then I was just playing some recorded TV and it locked up my machine twice. That's not what I call acceptable. LOL. So I may get to play with a clean install and see if I can get SSIM2D working better.
Old 4th February 2018, 21:26   #48812  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Cool. Any quick info on the hue changes, say comparative quality to the HQ setting and performance?
The new "do *not* preserve hue" option should (hopefully) combine the best of the previous "do not preserve hue" and "preserve hue with low quality" options. And it might be a bit faster than before, too.

The new "preserve hue" option is almost the same as the old "high quality" version, but with a saturation bugfix. Speed probably no noticeable change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
Thx for new build! Any info about upcoming features?
Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Any explanation of what it does exactly please?

What are the differences between all these?

- 100 Nits
- 50 Nits, linear
- 50 Nits, spline
- 50 Nits, linear, desaturate
- 50 Nits, spline, desaturate
I've been told that projector owners in a bat cave "officially" target diffuse/specular white at 50 Nits instead of 100 Nits. The HDR transfer function defines for each pixel with which Nits it should be displayed. But that's for 100 Nits diffuse white. So the new option practically scales all HDR pixels down by a factor of 2. So a pixel which should be drawn at e.g. 40 Nits is now drawn at 20 Nits instead.

I don't really know yet what practical effect that will bring. I'll wait for projector users to report back if the new setting is helpful at all or not.

The "linear" option simply halfs each pixel's brightness. The "spline" option tries to keep the original brightness in the shadow detail area, while still ending up at half brightness at diffuse white. I'm not really happy with the spline option yet, the curve probably needs some work.

The "desaturate" option does processing slightly different which results in ever so slightly lower saturation. I'm not sure which is "better" or more correct. So I'm offering both for testing. Of course one will go away once testing has been completed.
Old 4th February 2018, 21:36   #48813  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Thanks for the new release!

Quote:
Code:
* HDR option "fix too bright & saturated pixels" is now always available
This is purely nitpicking of course, but I think this would flow better as "fix overly bright & saturated pixels".
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 21:51   #48814  |  Link
ABDO

thanks @madshi for new madvr build
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 22:43   #48815  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Code:

Documented to work with NGU resampling; so I tried it with medium AA option. Looks quite good in a rather dark video. Not sure if really fluid, though. I'll test further from here on...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 22:51   #48816  |  Link
Manni

Thanks for the new build Madshi. I still don't have much time right now but I tried to take a quick look.

The new diffuse white option is very useful to us projector owners in a dedicated room, so thanks for implementing this. I didn't have the time to test in depth but it's promising and goes in the direction of what I was asking. You might want to give more options, as although the standard is 50nits for SDR, with HDR we need to go down to 16-20nits in some cases, so I would suggest 25-50 as possible values (factor of 2 or 4).

I still have issues with the way highlights are being processed with the pixel shader conversion, and now that I can rule out the 3D LUT (with the new line in the OSD, super useful so thanks for that), there is something definitely wrong with MadVR's processing.

I specified - as you suggested - my true peakY which is 125nits. I've tested with "This display is already calibrated" and with a null 3D LUT for SDR BT2020 generated with Lightspace (checked and confirmed as not changing anything to the picture).

In both cases, there is very significant posterization/clipping (depending on the settings) with the pixel shader conversion that entirely goes away in passthrough when using a custom curve in the projector. If you don't have a way to upload a custom curve, trust me and take a look at the scene below with the pixel shader conversion.

Quick question: in passthrough, the OSD reports that it's using the SDR-BT2020 3D LUT if 3D LUTs are selectin in the calibration tab. Is it to be expected? It should either use nothing (as it's sending HDR, not SDR) or use an HDR BT2020 3D LUT (I think).

Please try the beginning of Mad Max, minute 3:20. The end of the shot is a sunset with dust settling down and a fade out. The posterization/clipping (depending on settings) on the red sun/sky is very, very bad.

I thought it was my 3D LUT but it isn't, as even a null LUT (or "this display is already calibrated") produces the same effect.

Let me know by email/PM if you need a short clip of the beginning of Mad Max (as well as the null 3D LUT I'm using for these tests if you want to check it).

Any progress on the custom API to send the SDR BT2020 info in the HDMI stream?

EDIT: I have since this that you requested feedback in this thread on AVS, so I posted a copy of this post there, as it's probably a better place to discuss this.
EDIT2: Madshi has confirmed that this is being discussed in the thread linked above as there are more projector owners on AVS, so if you are interested please follow the discussion there.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 5th February 2018 at 00:04.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 22:56   #48817  |  Link
zapatista

Hi Madshi,

is there any possibility madvr would be able to downconvert video in 4k rec.2020 (or DCI-p3) color format to to 1080 resolution in x.v.Color (eg xvYCC, or Extended-gamut YCC)

there are a significant number of higher end 1080 pannels who can display x.v.Color (which is very close to the rec2020 color space), allowing those users to potentially benefit from the higher color detail/quality found in 4k UHD bluray (in addition to the 4k YUV 4.2.0 to 4k RGB 4.4.4 conversion step you have already implemented, before the 4k video is down converted to 1080 10 bit)

Last edited by zapatista; 4th February 2018 at 22:59.
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 23:07   #48818  |  Link
huhn

it's very unlikely that a display that support x.v color space can't display all these colors out side this mode so a 3D lut give you the same possibility.

just to make something every clear sony come up with this while 1080p sony TV are often used panels that can't reach 100 % BT 709.
and next problem can GPUs even handle this dead colorspace?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 23:25   #48819  |  Link
YxP

Laughed at this, feels like it was added for me and other stupids But thanks! (btw using RCA@1 almost all the time)
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 23:29   #48820  |  Link
YxP

Btw if it's any interest to you, the GPU sound is almost eliminated when using D3D11 decoder in lavfilters.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling