Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st June 2017, 17:02   #44161  |  Link
iSeries

I am not sure if this is a MadVR issue or (more likely) an issue with my GPU (Nvidia 950). I'm trying out HEVC UHD demos (hardware decoding) and at specific points the queues just drop to 0 and I get a massive amount of dropped frames. It happens at the same points every time. Increasing queue sizes helped a little, and also pausing for a second and then unpausing can sometimes refill the queues. Could this be a GPU memory issue? (only has 2gb). Or maybe something else? Really not sure what could cause it. 1080p and lower all play perfectly.

Last edited by iSeries; 21st June 2017 at 17:50.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 17:53   #44162  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
I am not sure if this is a MadVR issue or (more likely) an issue with my GPU (Nvidia 950). I'm trying out UHD demos and at specific points the queues just drop to 0 and I get a massive amount of dropped frames. It happens at the same points every time. Increasing queue sizes helped a little, and also pausing for a second and then unpausing can sometimes refill the queues. Could this be a GPU memory issue? (only has 2gb). Or maybe something else? Really not sure what could cause it. 1080p and lower all play perfectly.
All the queues drop to 0, not just one of them?

Your GPU most likely can't decode frames fast enough.

Look at the rendering frame times in the OSD (Ctrl+J) and see if the rendering/total processing time is close to or greater than the content's frame duration (24 fps would be 41.6ms).

I have a 950 myself and it can do everything but decode 60fps UHD HEVC and remap HDR to SDR at the same time. Render times shoot up higher than the frame duration.

On a related note, a GT 1030 is not fast enough to decode 24fps UHD HEVC and handle HDR (either passing it directly or remapping it to SDR with a shader). If anyone is considering it, don't bother.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 18:15   #44163  |  Link
el Filou

ProgDVB deinterlacing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Why? I already told you deinterlacing is on.
Anyway here it is:
https://abload.de/img/dei-5m2sfb.png
I've installed ProgDVB and tested with the same setup you would like to use: software decoding in LAV but with GPU deinterlacing and madVR.
Here's a screenshot
GPU deinterlacing is definitely working, no combing whatsoever as in your screenshot.
I left madVR at its default settings.

I may be wrong, but could madVR + GPU deinterlacing be too much for your graphics card? Have you tried with EVR just to see if deinterlacing works without madVR? Have you tried lowering madVR processing quality?

EDIT: I see your average processing time is ~23 ms. 50i video deinterlaces to 50 fps, not 25, so it means 20 ms per frame. I think it's likely your GPU has no processing resources left to deinterlace in addition to madVR processing. I know Radeons at some point had a 'feature' that disabled some video processing options if the GPU was maxxed out, I don't know much about NVIDIA GPUs yet but could it be that's what happening?

Last edited by el Filou; 21st June 2017 at 18:27.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 18:42   #44164  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
All the queues drop to 0, not just one of them?

Your GPU most likely can't decode frames fast enough.

Look at the rendering frame times in the OSD (Ctrl+J) and see if the rendering/total processing time is close to or greater than the content's frame duration (24 fps would be 41.6ms).

I have a 950 myself and it can do everything but decode 60fps UHD HEVC and remap HDR to SDR at the same time. Render times shoot up higher than the frame duration.

On a related note, a GT 1030 is not fast enough to decode 24fps UHD HEVC and handle HDR (either passing it directly or remapping it to SDR with a shader). If anyone is considering it, don't bother.
I'm using a HDR to SDR 3dlut, although the problems still occur when using MadVRs own remapping. Render times are around 25ms. So you can play 24p 2160p HDR content smoothly?

Last edited by iSeries; 21st June 2017 at 18:47.
Old 21st June 2017, 18:48   #44165  |  Link
Snowknight26

I can. Does disabling HDR (passthrough HDR) fix it?
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 18:52   #44166  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
I've installed ProgDVB and tested with the same setup you would like to use: software decoding in LAV but with GPU deinterlacing and madVR.
Here's a screenshot
GPU deinterlacing is definitely working, no combing whatsoever as in your screenshot.
I left madVR at its default settings.

I may be wrong, but could madVR + GPU deinterlacing be too much for your graphics card? Have you tried with EVR just to see if deinterlacing works without madVR? Have you tried lowering madVR processing quality?

EDIT: I see your average processing time is ~23 ms. 50i video deinterlaces to 50 fps, not 25, so it means 20 ms per frame. I think it's likely your GPU has no processing resources left to deinterlace in addition to madVR processing. I know Radeons at some point had a 'feature' that disabled some video processing options if the GPU was maxxed out, I don't know much about NVIDIA GPUs yet but could it be that's what happening?
Thanks for testing this.

That's not the case. I can do GPU deinterlacing and decoding with LAV and madVR processing without framedrops.
Also I highly doubt that lack of processing power would result in deinterlacing not working at all, it would result in framedrops.

Indeed it would be deinterlaced to 50fps, if deinterlacing would work. (The video shows up as 50fps when deinterlaced with LAV)

(Also you seem to have shared a (mostly) static image which of course won't show combing. Try sports or such)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 20:52   #44167  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Thanks for testing this.

That's not the case. I can do GPU deinterlacing and decoding with LAV and madVR processing without framedrops.
Also I highly doubt that lack of processing power would result in deinterlacing not working at all, it would result in framedrops.

Indeed it would be deinterlaced to 50fps, if deinterlacing would work. (The video shows up as 50fps when deinterlaced with LAV)

(Also you seem to have shared a (mostly) static image which of course won't show combing. Try sports or such)
It was actually a panning shot of the newsroom, the camera was moving and it didn't show any artefact. Trust me, I've been watching TV on a PC for years, I recognize interlace combing when I see it.

Did you try EVR or EVR custom in ProgDVB just to check if deinterlacing works with it? That could help narrow down the problem.
Old 21st June 2017, 21:01   #44168  |  Link
huhn

el filou deinterlancing is not working on your screen. the source is most likely PSF
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 21:07   #44169  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
It was actually a panning shot of the newsroom, the camera was moving and it didn't show any artefact. Trust me, I've been watching TV on a PC for years, I recognize interlace combing when I see it.

Did you try EVR or EVR custom in ProgDVB just to check if deinterlacing works with it? That could help narrow down the problem.
I tried it before. With EVR deinterlacing works.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 22:34   #44170  |  Link
ryrynz

Whenever my TVs display gets turned "off" after Windows power manager kicks in if I attempt playback the audio plays as normal but madVR displays only a frame or few, I have to rewind or forward for madVR to continue as normal.
Anyone else experience this on graphics other than Nvidia? Using W10.

Last edited by ryrynz; 21st June 2017 at 22:38.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:51   #44171  |  Link
n3w813

How do I enable the stats display of each processing filter under rendering in the CTRL+J OSD? (as I see it on some screencaps)

I tried a search but couldn't find it. I also try enabling the debug mode using the batch script and that didn't work.

Thanks
n3w813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:00   #44172  |  Link
huhn

don't use the debug version of madVR. it just replaced the madVR version with a debug version that creates a log on your desktop which multiply GB big.

for the advanced render steps option you need to created a new file or folder in the madVR folder with the name "showrendersteps".

don't use this for playback and use this to judge performance.
it can lower performance.
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:13   #44173  |  Link
Siso

Is there a possibility for madvr to add crop functions like - crop to 1.85:1, or crop to 2.35:1, or crop to 2.39:1 or crop to 2.40:1?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:25   #44174  |  Link
huhn

if the player tells madVR to do that madVR will do that. so yes.

if you want to remove blackbars madVR can do that.
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:44   #44175  |  Link
n3w813

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
don't use the debug version of madVR. it just replaced the madVR version with a debug version that creates a log on your desktop which multiply GB big.

for the advanced render steps option you need to created a new file or folder in the madVR folder with the name "showrendersteps".

don't use this for playback and use this to judge performance.
it can lower performance.
Thanks Huhn!
n3w813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:46   #44176  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
el filou deinterlancing is not working on your screen. the source is most likely PSF
How can you tell?
The source really is native 50i, to confirm here is a second screenshot I made of today's broadcast with LAV forced to weave (the 'Disabled (Progressive)' deinterlacing setting): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...Uh6T3B3d3ltQW8
If you zoom in, in the background of the newsroom on the pillars and the screens hanging off them you can see the combing interlace effect.

I'll try getting screens this weekend of sport programming using madVR and deinterlacing on/off to provide another compare.
Old 22nd June 2017, 23:03   #44177  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
How can you tell?
If deinterlacing is actually on, there is a "dxva queue" in the OSD, as well as a "dxva" entry in the "stats" section.
Try playing a interlaced file where it should definitely be working.
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:29   #44178  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
I'm using a HDR to SDR 3dlut, although the problems still occur when using MadVRs own remapping. Render times are around 25ms. So you can play 24p 2160p HDR content smoothly?
Is this a 3dlut that you have created with a sensor for your display OR downloaded from somewhere ? If that's the later can you share the download link ?
nsnhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:02   #44179  |  Link
iSeries

Created with a meter and Displaycal
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:05   #44180  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
I can. Does disabling HDR (passthrough HDR) fix it?
Unfortunately not. Render times stay around 25ms but the queues just empty at certain points, so I'm thinking either decoder can't keep up or I'm out of vram.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling