Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th June 2017, 13:57   #44141  |  Link
clsid

Chroma is normally first upscaled to match luma resolution. Then both are downscaled.

The chroma scaling can be skipped. With "trade quality for performance" setting "scale chroma separately if it saves performance".

Then you only need to adjust image downscaling. Image upscaling isn't used in your case.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 15:40   #44142  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Chroma is normally first upscaled to match luma resolution. Then both are downscaled.

The chroma scaling can be skipped. With "trade quality for performance" setting "scale chroma separately if it saves performance".

Then you only need to adjust image downscaling. Image upscaling isn't used in your case.
I use SSIM 2D @ 100% strength with Scale in Linear Light + AR Filter (Relaxed). I guess SSIM is out of the question for such content.

Thank you for helping me out!

EDIT: Even Bilinear image downscaling results in massive dropped frames... Could someone with similar specs share the settings they use to play 4K content on their 1080p displays???
EDIT 2: DXVA2 downscaling works!

Last edited by XMonarchY; 19th June 2017 at 15:47.
XMonarchY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 20:00   #44143  |  Link
huhn

disable "always supersampling" and it will work.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 00:41   #44144  |  Link
rahzel

I'm a long time user of madVR but I haven't kept up with these newer advanced scaling algorithms as my HTPC isn't the best, and I haven't updated madVR in a while. I have been using jinc+AR for image upscaling/chroma for years and previously used Catmull+LL+AR for downscaling. I finally updated madVR because I reinstalled Windows on my HTPC and noticed Catmull was gone, so I decided to look into all the new scaling options to see what's best and test what the best scalers my slower rig can handle (Radeon 7750 1GB GDDR5 & Celeron G1620).

I mostly view 720p/1080p film sources that are fairly clean on my 1080p plasma.

I tried my best to read through the thread to get answers and settled on these settings:
Chroma - NGU AA Low (edit: switched to super-xbr 100, NGU AA Low was a bit too much for my GPU)
Image upscaling - NGU AA Low
Image Downscaling - Bicubic 150 + AR (edit: switched back to bicubic50/catmull)
(under 'trade quality for performance') don't use linear light for dithering is unchecked
Smooth motion enabled when needed
Render times for the videos I tested never exceeded 28 or 29ms.

Few questions:
1) Is there anything you guys would suggest changing?
2) Previously it was recommended to scale using linear light when downscaling with Catmull. Is it still recommended to check this box with Cubic 150?
3) Should I keep 'don't use linear light for dithering' checked if that means I can afford to use higher settings for image/chroma scaling?

Last edited by rahzel; 20th June 2017 at 06:42.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 02:06   #44145  |  Link
huhn

1. i personally think bicubic 150 is terrible. it can create very ugly motion artifacts. cat rom mull is still in madVR it's bicubic 50 they are the same.
2. depends on the scaler. i still think it is good on bicubic 50.
3. i can't notice a performance difference.
Old 20th June 2017, 02:35   #44146  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
1. i personally think bicubic 150 is terrible. it can create very ugly motion artifacts. cat rom mull is still in madVR it's bicubic 50 they are the same.
2. depends on the scaler. i still think it is good on bicubic 50.
3. i can't notice a performance difference.
Ah, didn't see catmull there, thanks. I guess I'll just go back to it.

Note that I changed the chroma scaler to super xbr 100... NGU low was a bit too much for my GPU to handle.

Last edited by rahzel; 20th June 2017 at 07:35.
Old 20th June 2017, 08:32   #44147  |  Link
Siso

Isn't super xbr way more sharper than jinc for chroma? Why do you guys prefer it over jinc?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:39   #44148  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Isn't super xbr way more sharper than jinc for chroma? Why do you guys prefer it over jinc?
Admittedly, I haven't actually compared for myself yet. I find differences in chroma harder to spot personally, so I haven't took the time to look. I simply took one poster's advice earlier in this thread, and since my GPU seems to handle it OK for my viewing content, that's what I have it set to right now.

It's probably a personal preference thing, and probably depends on the type of content you're watching too.

FWIW, I used Jinc+AR before and had no complaints. I read a lot of posts where people liked NGU for chroma, but it's a little too much for my weaker GPU. And I can't seem to find any posts comparing Jinc and super xbr for chroma.
Old 20th June 2017, 10:52   #44149  |  Link
no1d

I think, when I have "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" option disabled, subtitles are flashing sometimes. Are there any workarounds for it?
no1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 17:34   #44150  |  Link
n3w813

Hi, I enabled "10 bit (or higher) in MadVR last night since my new Vizio TV supports a 10bit input and I've got some 10bit source materials. I've also set my Nvidia GTX1080 to output yCbCr 4:2:2 with 10bpc. Couple of questions...

1. Is it normal to take 10-15 seconds to switch in and out of fullscreen exclusive mode when using 10bit in Madvr? Also, during the 10-15s switch, the screen is displaying a full screen of snow with varying colors. Switching MadVR back to "8 bit" fixes this issue. Is this how it is or is there some configuration I'm not setting correctly?

2. In the thread by James Freeman regarding 10 bit output, he states that Nvidia should be set to output 8 bpc instead of 10 because of some errors introduced. Is this still the case?

3. Anyhow, is it still in my best interest to use MadVR/TV Levels, Nvidia/RGB 8bpc Full range, and TV/Limited to avoid unnecessary levels conversion? Or is the quality of the conversion in the new Nvidia video cards good enough that one can use the limited YCbCr modes without quality issues?

Thanks
n3w813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 19:02   #44151  |  Link
huhn

1. TV can take ages to switch modes there is nothing madVR can do about that.

2. not sure what you mean.

3. like always a full full range RGB chain is preferable.
Old 20th June 2017, 19:44   #44152  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w813 View Post
Hi, I enabled "10 bit (or higher) in MadVR last night since my new Vizio TV supports a 10bit input and I've got some 10bit source materials.
Your TV's panel most likely isn't 10bit so personally I wouldn't pay that kind of price for outputting 10bit. Look at the picture, take a screenie /j , compare.

[Cynical edit]

I forgot jokes and sarcasm require /s or /j nowadays so just adding /j to the screenie part.

Last edited by YxP; 20th June 2017 at 20:09.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 21:41   #44153  |  Link
n3w813

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
Your TV's panel most likely isn't 10bit so personally I wouldn't pay that kind of price for outputting 10bit. Look at the picture, take a screenie /j , compare.

[Cynical edit]

I forgot jokes and sarcasm require /s or /j nowadays so just adding /j to the screenie part.
Is your entire statement sarcasm or just the screenie part?

I'm certain my Vizio P75-C1 is a 10bit native panel. And what price are you talking about?
n3w813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 22:01   #44154  |  Link
YxP

Just the screenie If you have native 10bit then that might be ok, but MadVR might still make the benefit almost imperceptible.

[let's edit again edit]

The price you pay if you really have to wait 10-15s. I'm sorry I really should stop editing my posts and/or just maybe not post at all.

Last edited by YxP; 20th June 2017 at 23:08.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 10:02   #44155  |  Link
Magik Mark

I'm not sure if this has been answered. It seems I can't find it in this thread.

I'm having problem in PERMANENTLY setting the BRIGHTNESS to -15. Once I have changed it to -15 it just won't stick. It resets back to 0 once a new video is played.

Is there a way to permanently set it to -15?
Old 21st June 2017, 10:18   #44156  |  Link
ryrynz

Setting it to anything should set it permanently. I've tested it and it's fine here in one of my profiles.
Try resetting to defaults and or creating a profile.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 12:05   #44157  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

I'm pretty sure the brightness is a per-video thing. One thing you can do is change the name of the directory containing the video files to include "brightness=-15" (without the quotes).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 12:40   #44158  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I'm pretty sure the brightness is a per-video thing. One thing you can do is change the name of the directory containing the video files to include "brightness=-15" (without the quotes).
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. EveryTime you play a video you need to change the brightness.

Is there a way to automatically apply this? If you check the brightness setting while playing a video, you would always see "0" regardless if change was made in the setting
Old 21st June 2017, 12:46   #44159  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. EveryTime you play a video you need to change the brightness.

Is there a way to automatically apply this? If you check the brightness setting while playing a video, you would always see "0" regardless if change was made in the setting
You need to configure your display properly. I'm quite sure these settings are for correcting videos' flaws.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 13:00   #44160  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Yeah, if you have to lower the brightness on every video then you'd probably be better off adjusting your display.

As far as I know the only way to apply the setting every time is to tag individual videos, or the directory containing the files (e.g. in case you have a series of videos that all need the same adjustment). Changing the filenames this way isn't pretty to look at, but it works.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling