Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st May 2017, 03:16   #43961  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Using newest madvr 0.91.10 causing Potplayer to close really slow and start really slow, I can't click on movie instantly after closing potplayer, I can see potplayer going from 100+ mb of ram to 35mb and then close which takes about 4-5 sec, within this time it doesn't open another movie or the same movie cause I limited it to 1 instance of player. without using Madvr , just any other renderer , potplayer closes fast and opens fast. 0.91.9 worked properly without an issue.

EDIT : Nvm , it still happens with 0.91.9 , I figure it's the new update, he changed something for people who have crashes , might kind of timeout which doesn't close it instant. with version 1.7.1916 it works like it should. Still for some unkonwn reason, potplayer opens when the internet is disabled ! , can anyone figure out why !? it opens the movie instant without internet ( network adapter disabled ) compare to with internet takes like 2-3 sec saying it's opening ...
On my i5 intel iGPU pc, among Potplayer and Mpc-HC/BE, Potplayer gives me the best madVR result by playing 4K/HDR clips, no dropped frames, no glitches, lowest rendering ms and full filled queues. The same madVR setting on Mpc-HC/BE drops lots of frames, means unwatchable. Maybe Potplayer internal decoder is better than the others, I'm not sure.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 03:37   #43962  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, with D3D11 I still get some frames presented from earlier in the video when I jump forward on my HD4000.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 08:25   #43963  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
To playback what sort of source material? 72Hz is good for 24fps material. 71.928Hz is good for 23.976fps material.

Depending on your screen, you might be better off implementing a custom resolution for 23.976Hz, because the screen might already be working "behind scenes" to multiply it in order to reduce flicker.
Mostly for 23.976 fps material, my monitor can't handle 23.976hz, and madvr acts weird with 71.928hz. 72hz is ok.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 10:33   #43964  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Which is the better alternative: 60hz with smooth motion or custom refresh rate 72hz with reclock?
Better is the third alternative - 72 with smooth motion and reclock, of course.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 11:23   #43965  |  Link
huhn

why should you use reclock AND smoothmotion at the same time?

it should work together but still why touch the audio or video if it is clearly not necessary.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 11:31   #43966  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Mostly for 23.976 fps material, my monitor can't handle 23.976hz, and madvr acts weird with 71.928hz. 72hz is ok.
Use SmoothMotion at 72Hz, then. No Reclock needed (if you need WASAPI you can use Sanear... or Reclock I guess, but no x64 in that case).
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 11:41   #43967  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Use SmoothMotion at 72Hz, then. No Reclock needed (if you need WASAPI you can use Sanear... or Reclock I guess, but no x64 in that case).
I made 71.928hz custom refresh rate again, to see how things will behave, personally I don't like the blur that smooth motion adds.
Old 31st May 2017, 16:21   #43968  |  Link
Siso

The closest to 71.928 hz I could get was 71.931 hz...anyway looks ok for now.

Last edited by Siso; 31st May 2017 at 17:06.
Old 1st June 2017, 00:03   #43969  |  Link
igvk

Returning to the issue of oversaturated colors of some videos on wide-gamut displays:

For the sample video, I made the following test: in the video player that was using madVR, switched to interpreting video as full range (via madVR shortcut) and made a screenshot in PNG. Then opened it in Photoshop and analyzed the values in the areas of these artifacts.

Red areas were indeed oversaturated in R channel (highest R was 255), but G and B were less than 252 (and even less that 235 in green area), although R values were 0 (or close to zero) there. So, most of the visible problems are in areas with R not in range 16-235 (or even 1-254).

Here is the captured frame:
Photoshop_-_Color_Lookup_Table.mkv_-_00000.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it could be clipped.
there are for sure mathematical ways to ignore 0-16 and 236-255 or they could be mapped to 16/235.

of cause i have no clue how much work that is.
Quote:
As for the range of the original video - I couldn't understand your answer on whether it's limited or not.
should be limited(a normal video). it is not worth to check it with a histogram and the issue has nothing to do with the range anyway.
It seems that either the video is badly encoded, or it is wrongfully interpreted.
Anyway, does it really has any sense to have values 0 and 255 pass to 3D LUT then?
igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 04:16   #43970  |  Link
oddball

Madshi can you please explain why the following does not work '1080p23, 2160p23' If I use that when the display is set to 2160, it cuts off a 1080p video and only shows half of the video on the display to the right and the left half is black. If I set the display to 1080 it shrinks the 2160p video to the top left corner (quarter) of the display and the rest of the display is black. Is there no way to fix this?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 08:54   #43971  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvk View Post
It seems that either the video is badly encoded, or it is wrongfully interpreted.
Anyway, does it really has any sense to have values 0 and 255 pass to 3D LUT then?
the video is supposed to be limited range that's all i can say.
removing BTB/WTW before it get's into the 3D LUT cost performance and WTW can be used and is not that rare in sources.

Quote:
Madshi can you please explain why the following does not work '1080p23, 2160p23' If I use that when the display is set to 2160, it cuts off a 1080p video and only shows half of the video on the display to the right and the left half is black. If I set the display to 1080 it shrinks the 2160p video to the top left corner (quarter) of the display and the rest of the display is black. Is there no way to fix this?
try to disable the windows scaling by setting DPI scaling to 100%.

i don't know why you should use 1080p and 2160p at the same time. resolution changing got quite messy with the newer windows version but not everyone is affected as always.
Old 1st June 2017, 10:29   #43972  |  Link
igvk

Quote:
removing BTB/WTW before it get's into the 3D LUT cost performance and WTW can be used and is not that rare in sources.
Yes, it should be limited range. But somehow this video is decoded to values of R that are out of scope for limited range. Although it doesn't look like full range video - the level of white color stops at 235.
There are lots of video that show some artifacts in saturated areas that become seen when using 3D LUT.

My question is - does it make sense to consider values 0 and 255 special that shouldn't be mapped by it? I know that they are used for timing information in video standard, but what is the use of having them in the output of 3D LUT?
Should there be any video timing information in madVR output?
Old 1st June 2017, 16:57   #43973  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvk View Post
Yes, it should be limited range. But somehow this video is decoded to values of R that are out of scope for limited range. Although it doesn't look like full range video - the level of white color stops at 235.
There are lots of video that show some artifacts in saturated areas that become seen when using 3D LUT.
could be anything from a mastering issue to encoding artifacts the list is long.

nothing wrong with decoding anything to full range even if the video is limited range. this is totally ok the issue is the 3D LUT handle nothing else.
Quote:
My question is - does it make sense to consider values 0 and 255 special that shouldn't be mapped by it? I know that they are used for timing information in video standard, but what is the use of having them in the output of 3D LUT?
the video timing part is even bigger. i'm not sure if they are present in this part there. for 1080p the send "image" has a size of about 2200x1125 with DMT timing.
a 3D LUT shouldn't be mapping it like this but that's really all i have to say. i brought this up to fhoech and i'm not going to force it on him. this is free software done by people in there free time there is a limited.
so that's it nothing more for me to do this topic is over for me.
Quote:
Should there be any video timing information in madVR output?
i have not written a video renderer but i'm pretty sure there are no timing information that are of any important or most likely any timing information in the image what so ever.

madVR is not the reason for the issue.
Old 1st June 2017, 17:15   #43974  |  Link
igvk

Quote:
nothing wrong with decoding anything to full range even if the video is limited range. this is totally ok the issue is the 3D LUT handle nothing else.

the video timing part is even bigger. i'm not sure if they are present in this part there. for 1080p the send "image" has a size of about 2200x1125 with DMT timing.
a 3D LUT shouldn't be mapping it like this but that's really all i have to say. i brought this up to fhoech and i'm not going to force it on him. this is free software done by people in there free time there is a limited.
so that's it nothing more for me to do this topic is over for me.
The main issue I think is that for some reason 3D LUT file is created so that 0 maps strictly to 0 and 255 - to 255.
But there is no reason to do this, because these special values are not used by the application that is using the LUT file (I am talking about madVR).
Old 2nd June 2017, 03:16   #43975  |  Link
oddball

Is anyone getting over saturated colors in full screen exclusive mode when using DX11? If I disable DX11 the colors are the same with or without FSE.
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:19   #43976  |  Link
ryrynz

What's your graphics card? Should really flesh out your post.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:14   #43977  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
What's your graphics card? Should really flesh out your post.
AMD RX 480 with latest drivers (same with older driver though). I managed to fix it I think by setting the Windows color profile to wide gamut.
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:19   #43978  |  Link
oddball

Quote:

try to disable the windows scaling by setting DPI scaling to 100%.

i don't know why you should use 1080p and 2160p at the same time. resolution changing got quite messy with the newer windows version but not everyone is affected as always.
Yeah I already tried that thinking it might be DPi but it made no difference. The reason I wanted switching to 1080p for 1080p content was to lessen the load on the GPU when not needed.
Old 2nd June 2017, 19:29   #43979  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post

What happens if you take "1080p32" off the list? I had an issue when both "1080p32 2160p23" are in the list. It was some time ago and I don't remember what the issue was. Anyway, it solved the issue with 1080p for me. I use an AMD RX 480.

Last edited by HillieSan; 2nd June 2017 at 19:37.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:44   #43980  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
The closest to 71.928 hz I could get was 71.931 hz...anyway looks ok for now.
Check here to know what is the refresh rate you want to aim for: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling