Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th May 2017, 19:09   #43921  |  Link
Damien147

Guys I am confused and I need an opinion.After trying madvr's new option I can finally activate 23hz and results seem good(1 frame drop every 1 hour) but I lose 4:4:4.
What do you think it's the best choice?4:2:2 with 23hz and supposedly smoother motion or 60hz with smooth motion on and 4:4:4?

Last edited by Damien147; 28th May 2017 at 20:19.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 22:10   #43922  |  Link
huhn

why don't you use 23p with 4:4:4 and can your TV do 23p properly?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 00:35   #43923  |  Link
Damien147

It couldn't do 23p properly but with the new hack direct 3d option it seems that I get descent results(as I said earlier OSD gives me 1 frame drop every 1 hour).I am still testing it but as I see 4:4:4 gets disabled and I don't know what to do.30p doesn't have this problem.
Old 29th May 2017, 02:46   #43924  |  Link
oddball

OK I kinda had HDR working with FSE and no need to click on icons etc and it would stay outputting correctly even if I click on the player window. But now it is stuck in HDR output even though HDR mode in Win10 is switched off. I have to disable FSE to get back to normal SDR (Otherwise SDR content is sent as HDR). It's all a bit strange how one moment it's working. The next it's not and then it gets stuck in HDR mode.

EDIT: I can only get out of stuck HDR 4K output on SDR content by either disabling FSE or rebooting.

Last edited by oddball; 29th May 2017 at 03:25.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 04:37   #43925  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Can someone please explain.
I have a ripped version of the BD Oklahoma which is 1080 29.970 frame rate.
As it states Scan type, store method = Interleaved fields in the properties, this does mean its a 29.970 interlaced BD is that correct?

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2 h 28 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 38.5 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 05:14   #43926  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Setting up a new JVC 7500 PJ and I'm having some issues with 3D. madVR OSD is showing a 3D rendering path but it shows it is scaling from 1920x1080 --> 5720 x 3240 and it is (of course) dropping frames all over the place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nathan

- JRiver / GTX 1070 / Win 10 64-Bit
FYI - it turns out Uninstalling / Reinstall the nVidia drivers seems to have fixed this scaling issue and 3D now works (using RGB 8-Bit without the weird purple push).

Last edited by jmone; 29th May 2017 at 05:16.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 06:48   #43927  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
It couldn't do 23p properly but with the new hack direct 3d option it seems that I get descent results(as I said earlier OSD gives me 1 frame drop every 1 hour).I am still testing it but as I see 4:4:4 gets disabled and I don't know what to do.30p doesn't have this problem.
You should be aware that before this option was introduced, it was enabled by default in previous madVR versions. So if anything disabling that option would be *new* behavior, because before it was always enabled.
Old 29th May 2017, 09:14   #43928  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
that doesn't tell anyone if your TV can do 23p properly.

and for a movie 1 hour is to bad anyway.
Old 29th May 2017, 12:22   #43929  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You should be aware that before this option was introduced, it was enabled by default in previous madVR versions. So if anything disabling that option would be *new* behavior, because before it was always enabled.
I don't remember the Madvr version but back then when I tried it display was at 23.999hz.Now it's like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that doesn't tell anyone if your TV can do 23p properly.

Really?And thought it was a descent result.I just have OSD as a guide.Well,I'll return to 60hz and SM.No big deal.Thanks guys.
Old 29th May 2017, 13:44   #43930  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Dropping 1 out of 86313 frames is bad? Even if it is clearly noticeable, man, who the fuck cares. /rant
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 16:47   #43931  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Really?And thought it was a descent result.I just have OSD as a guide.Well,I'll return to 60hz and SM.No big deal.Thanks guys.
nvidia has usual worse results but you will still drop drop frame when watching a movie and that's means it not perfect.

but the biggest problem is the TV industry and the fact that most screen can't do 23/24p properly what so ever.

so the real problem is if a TV can do it you want to use the motion interpolation of the TV and if you care.
a surprising high number of TVs user don't see the huge difference between proper 23p and 3:2 judder anyway.
Old 29th May 2017, 16:57   #43932  |  Link
Damien147

From what I understand I frame drop every 1 hour means smooth playback and every 1 hour there's a small ''jerk'' if you ever see it.Doesn't look bad to me.Or it affects general smoothness while the movie plays?
The thing is that I lose 4:4:4 and I don't know if it's a placebo but I think that I see some image quality degradation with 4:2:2.
Picture seems a bit sharper but a bit more 'dull''.

Last edited by Damien147; 29th May 2017 at 17:01.
Old 29th May 2017, 18:01   #43933  |  Link
huhn

should "only" be a hiccup every 1 H. with a 23p source at 24 hz it's a hiccup about every 42 secs.

the sharpness difference can easily come from leaving PC mode so the TV is now again doing all kind of stuff to the image.

the first thing you should do is check if the TV is able to do 23/24p in the first place.

so either your eyes don't care or your TV can do it correct. so just do what you want.
Old 29th May 2017, 18:57   #43934  |  Link
Damien147

Before 24hz was activated and had 1 frame repeat every ~40 seconds.Now it seems that 23hz gets activated and I get 1 frame drop every 1 hour.I get annoyed though by losing 4:4:4 and I might go back to 60hz and SM.I can't see a problem judder wise anyway,looks smooth to me.
Old 29th May 2017, 19:26   #43935  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
From what I understand I frame drop every 1 hour means smooth playback and every 1 hour there's a small ''jerk'' if you ever see it.Doesn't look bad to me.Or it affects general smoothness while the movie plays?
The thing is that I lose 4:4:4 and I don't know if it's a placebo but I think that I see some image quality degradation with 4:2:2.
Picture seems a bit sharper but a bit more 'dull''.
Probably because you have kept the tv settings untouche. If they were fine for 4:4:4 they might be wrong for 4:2:2. But you get the best accurate color with 4:2:2. Not only best color but the playback will be accurate. When you change the color output so many times the colors will affect movie playback no matter what algorithm method you use on madVR. For instance. if u choose RGB Full in nvidia settings u will never get the accurate playback u aim.

Last edited by xabregas; 29th May 2017 at 19:30.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 19:58   #43936  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Probably because you have kept the tv settings untouche. If they were fine for 4:4:4 they might be wrong for 4:2:2. But you get the best accurate color with 4:2:2. Not only best color but the playback will be accurate. When you change the color output so many times the colors will affect movie playback no matter what algorithm method you use on madVR. For instance. if u choose RGB Full in nvidia settings u will never get the accurate playback u aim.
not sure how you came up with this but madVR output is RGB the "nvidia" settings have nothing to do with that.

everything that is not fullrange RGB in the "nvidia settings" will convert the image. so full range RGB is closest to untouched and can be untouched.

next is the TV. this depends a lot on the TV but for most accurate result calibrated PC mode 4:4:4 is usually the best it doesn't downscale the image and disables most post processing.
Old 29th May 2017, 19:59   #43937  |  Link
Damien147

@xabregas

I see the logic to it because when 4:4:4 gets disabled picture mode changes too.I try to keep any filters off and try to reproduce same settings as with 4:4:4 because I have an icc profile.Anyway,problem seems to get complicated and the easiest thing is 60hz with SM.Thanks for the tips.
Old 29th May 2017, 20:34   #43938  |  Link
lunkens

Maybe a longshot! I'm enjoying MadVR since day one and it gets better for every revision

Is there a way to modify any file in Kodi to report back "actual aspect ratio" from MadVR?

Today I have a plugin (Control4 Driver) that make API calls to Kodi VideoPlayer.VideoAspect and ListItem.VideoAspect.

I think the problem reside in Kodi not getting the info from MadVR. And most files I've tried have hard encoded blackbars hence 1.78 is reported. Maybe a trivial problem for most. But I still seek the answer.
lunkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 23:04   #43939  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
should "only" be a hiccup every 1 H. with a 23p source at 24 hz it's a hiccup about every 42 secs.

the sharpness difference can easily come from leaving PC mode so the TV is now again doing all kind of stuff to the image.

the first thing you should do is check if the TV is able to do 23/24p in the first place.

so either your eyes don't care or your TV can do it correct. so just do what you want.
That depends on which edition of Windows 10 one uses... 24/60Hz is best for those with modern NVidia cards and fully updated Win10 RS2, while those on Win10 RS1 get the best results with 23Hz setting. There is no way to make one act like the other because MS significantly changed the way FSE Mode works, regardless of Compatibility settings selected for .EXE or Xbox-related settings or Game-Mode settings. I think its a part of WDDM 2.2. You can read more about it here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...y_Driver_Model . Its why RS2 users have to select between Windows and NVidia settings, while RS1 users have only the NVidia settings.

For those who want the best experience with madVR - stick to RS1 (Anniversary Update)
. Its hassle free - no frame issues what-so-ever for hours and hours of playback with ReClock, madVR, LAV, and MPC-HC.
Old 29th May 2017, 23:09   #43940  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
For those who want the best experience with madVR - stick to RS1 (Anniversary Update)[/B]. Its hassle free - no frame issues what-so-ever for hours and hours of playback with ReClock, madVR, LAV, and MPC-HC.
I've honestly read more people that say it works fine for them then those that complain - which was mostly you. Should probably not project your issues onto everyone else. Creators Update runs just fine for me with madVR.
You should just disable game mode and the game bar if you don't want them and think they intefer - if your alternative is to not use CU anyway, you also don't lose out on anything you wouldn't have anyway (not to mention that game mode is largely irrelevant anyway).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling