Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th May 2017, 07:57   #43921  |  Link
pruttolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
No,I get a black screen and madshi doesn't see the problem,he suggests dxva2(copy-back).I just set hardware decoder to none and all good.

Ok, thanks for the help
pruttolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 10:57   #43922  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Thats a joke right? Madvr Smooth motion already does it and better with less cpu usage even thought i dont use it because i dislike it. Soap opera and blur doesnt suits me.

I once experimented those "payable" options like Splash and JRiver to discover all of them are utterly a piece of crap claiming to be great in whatever they think they are. I experimented and disliked it. There are similar options available for free and sometimes even better if not all the time.
My CPU usage is maybe 1% to 4% with a laptop Intel i3 (2011) with Motion2, but GPU usage is similar (less than 1%) to madVR Smooth Motion, I use bilinear everywhere to compare with Splash.

Soap opera effect is less annoying than blur produces by Smooth Motion for me. I think it's like sharpen, some people like it other don't.

I just wanted to know if madshi was/is working on this and what's his opinion.
Maybe a ngu logic could fix soap opera effect or reduces artefacts produced by this kind of algo.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 11:53   #43923  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Thats a joke right? Madvr Smooth motion already does it and better with less cpu usage even thought i dont use it because i dislike it. Soap opera and blur doesnt suits me.
what are you talking about?
what has smooth motion to do with soap opera effect and why should it be compared to a frame creation algorithm like SVP?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 12:28   #43924  |  Link
rod93

hi
mpc-hc crash when playing mvc 3d with lavideo decoder, madvr on intel 4600 (with optimus)
"exception: acces violation"
crashin module:
igd10iumd32.dll
offset: 0x17cf088d, codebase: 0xc90000
thread 3992 tried to read memory at adress 0x8244491"

can someone help me please!!!!!
rod93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 12:39   #43925  |  Link
huhn

if i'm not mistaken this is an intel driver "crash". try to force the use of the nvidia GPU.
Old 28th May 2017, 12:51   #43926  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what are you talking about?
what has smooth motion to do with soap opera effect and why should it be compared to a frame creation algorithm like SVP?
For me. Any 23,976 movie with Smooth motion turned on to 60HZ will end up feeling soap opera to me. Never used the russian SVP. Tested Splash Motion 2 and it`s not accurate in the maximum. If i put it half motion looks better. Still the soap opera look is disgusting.

Probably this is because my TV or my nvidia GPU already does what madvr smooth motion does. Doing it twice maybe isnt worth it and probably the cause of sopa opera effect. I will test madvr smooth motion without nvidia inverse telecine and any kind of TV movie mode turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
My CPU usage is maybe 1% to 4% with a laptop Intel i3 (2011) with Motion2, but GPU usage is similar (less than 1%) to madVR Smooth Motion, I use bilinear everywhere to compare with Splash.

Soap opera effect is less annoying than blur produces by Smooth Motion for me. I think it's like sharpen, some people like it other don't.

I just wanted to know if madshi was/is working on this and what's his opinion.
Maybe a ngu logic could fix soap opera effect or reduces artefacts produced by this kind of algo.
You can`t compare Splash Motion with madvr Smooth motion because its not the same thing. Splash Motion is nothing more than the russian SVP done by your gou but not really accurate. madvr smooth motion is like nvidia inverse telecine from what i can tell.

Last edited by xabregas; 28th May 2017 at 13:01.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 12:56   #43927  |  Link
rod93

if i play it with nvidia it does not play in 3d
rod93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 13:15   #43928  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Any 23,976 movie with Smooth motion turned on to 60HZ will end up feeling soap opera to me.
Smooth Motion on its own cannot result in a soap opera effect. It's frame blending, not frame interpolation. The worst it can do is make the picture look a bit blurry during motion. Either what you're seeing is not caused by Smooth Motion, or you are mistaken as to what is meant by "soap opera effect".
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 16:22   #43929  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
For me. Any 23,976 movie with Smooth motion turned on to 60HZ will end up feeling soap opera to me. Never used the russian SVP. Tested Splash Motion 2 and it`s not accurate in the maximum. If i put it half motion looks better. Still the soap opera look is disgusting.
Quote:
Probably this is because my TV or my nvidia GPU already does what madvr smooth motion does. Doing it twice maybe isnt worth it and probably the cause of sopa opera effect. I will test madvr smooth motion without nvidia inverse telecine and any kind of TV movie mode turned on.
if you run madVR smooth motion and the soap opera effect creating stuff in your TV at the same time the result is most likely terrible. but smooth motion is not the reason for the soup opera effect. it is technical not able to do stuff like this.

smooth motion has one simple aim judder free playback like playing a file at it native refresh rate.

so with a 23p source it is trying to give you the same smoothness at 60 hz as with 23 hz.
Quote:
You can`t compare Splash Motion with madvr Smooth motion because its not the same thing. Splash Motion is nothing more than the russian SVP done by your gou but not really accurate. madvr smooth motion is like nvidia inverse telecine from what i can tell.
what has nvidia deinterlancing to do with? inverse telecine is just an option for deinterlancing. i'm not even sure if it does anything anymore and if it isn't always used. i mean you need an interlanced source in the first place.
Old 28th May 2017, 19:09   #43930  |  Link
Damien147

Guys I am confused and I need an opinion.After trying madvr's new option I can finally activate 23hz and results seem good(1 frame drop every 1 hour) but I lose 4:4:4.
What do you think it's the best choice?4:2:2 with 23hz and supposedly smoother motion or 60hz with smooth motion on and 4:4:4?

Last edited by Damien147; 28th May 2017 at 20:19.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 22:10   #43931  |  Link
huhn

why don't you use 23p with 4:4:4 and can your TV do 23p properly?
Old 29th May 2017, 00:35   #43932  |  Link
Damien147

It couldn't do 23p properly but with the new hack direct 3d option it seems that I get descent results(as I said earlier OSD gives me 1 frame drop every 1 hour).I am still testing it but as I see 4:4:4 gets disabled and I don't know what to do.30p doesn't have this problem.
Old 29th May 2017, 02:46   #43933  |  Link
oddball

OK I kinda had HDR working with FSE and no need to click on icons etc and it would stay outputting correctly even if I click on the player window. But now it is stuck in HDR output even though HDR mode in Win10 is switched off. I have to disable FSE to get back to normal SDR (Otherwise SDR content is sent as HDR). It's all a bit strange how one moment it's working. The next it's not and then it gets stuck in HDR mode.

EDIT: I can only get out of stuck HDR 4K output on SDR content by either disabling FSE or rebooting.

Last edited by oddball; 29th May 2017 at 03:25.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 04:37   #43934  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Can someone please explain.
I have a ripped version of the BD Oklahoma which is 1080 29.970 frame rate.
As it states Scan type, store method = Interleaved fields in the properties, this does mean its a 29.970 interlaced BD is that correct?

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2 h 28 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 38.5 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 05:14   #43935  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Setting up a new JVC 7500 PJ and I'm having some issues with 3D. madVR OSD is showing a 3D rendering path but it shows it is scaling from 1920x1080 --> 5720 x 3240 and it is (of course) dropping frames all over the place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nathan

- JRiver / GTX 1070 / Win 10 64-Bit
FYI - it turns out Uninstalling / Reinstall the nVidia drivers seems to have fixed this scaling issue and 3D now works (using RGB 8-Bit without the weird purple push).

Last edited by jmone; 29th May 2017 at 05:16.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 06:48   #43936  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
It couldn't do 23p properly but with the new hack direct 3d option it seems that I get descent results(as I said earlier OSD gives me 1 frame drop every 1 hour).I am still testing it but as I see 4:4:4 gets disabled and I don't know what to do.30p doesn't have this problem.
You should be aware that before this option was introduced, it was enabled by default in previous madVR versions. So if anything disabling that option would be *new* behavior, because before it was always enabled.
Old 29th May 2017, 09:14   #43937  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
that doesn't tell anyone if your TV can do 23p properly.

and for a movie 1 hour is to bad anyway.
Old 29th May 2017, 12:22   #43938  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You should be aware that before this option was introduced, it was enabled by default in previous madVR versions. So if anything disabling that option would be *new* behavior, because before it was always enabled.
I don't remember the Madvr version but back then when I tried it display was at 23.999hz.Now it's like that.

Quote:
that doesn't tell anyone if your TV can do 23p properly.

Really?And thought it was a descent result.I just have OSD as a guide.Well,I'll return to 60hz and SM.No big deal.Thanks guys.
Old 29th May 2017, 13:44   #43939  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Dropping 1 out of 86313 frames is bad? Even if it is clearly noticeable, man, who the fuck cares. /rant
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 16:47   #43940  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Really?And thought it was a descent result.I just have OSD as a guide.Well,I'll return to 60hz and SM.No big deal.Thanks guys.
nvidia has usual worse results but you will still drop drop frame when watching a movie and that's means it not perfect.

but the biggest problem is the TV industry and the fact that most screen can't do 23/24p properly what so ever.

so the real problem is if a TV can do it you want to use the motion interpolation of the TV and if you care.
a surprising high number of TVs user don't see the huge difference between proper 23p and 3:2 judder anyway.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling