Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd May 2017, 11:03   #43861  |  Link
ph123uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Can someone help me set this up please...
I have all my ripped BDs set to play back at 4K upscaling via JR and madvr using the 1080Ti card.
As I have only a handful of BDs that are 50Hz and DVDs that are 50 and 60, when they switch across at 4K they drop frames etc etc...
As most of my 900 ripped BDs are 23.97 I have my settings fairy high on madvr since I have the 1080Ti card...
Can I make just the ripped DVDs and BDs that are 50Hz just playback in 1080P rather than 4K so the madvr settings can remain high?

Many thanks...
Make new profiles dependant on the source input (e.g 4k @ 23/24hz, then a separate one for 4k @ 50/59/60hz)

MadVR will then detect the source input and use the correct profile that you specify, there is a decent guide on the Kodi forums for setting up profiles, you may have to alter t suit your needs, but its worth it.

I myself have Sli 980s - so a lot of media I can have high / very high, but on some 4k files @60hz, of which I have very few, my profiles switch NGU AA down to low / med
ph123uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:10   #43862  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Cant I use profiles to have all DVD material 50/60 at 1080p, and the few BDs that are 50 also at 1080p, everything else 23.98 BDs at 4k?
So one setting in profiles at 1080p the other at 4K, this way both resolutions can have the same high NGU settings?
70MM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:20   #43863  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You can set profiles by resolution or by fps or by a combination of both, yes. I think this specific request my even be set using the display modes setting though I'm not sure if it's the best way. Usually you lower some scaling setting using the profiles instead.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:37   #43864  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Cant I use profiles to have all DVD material 50/60 at 1080p, and the few BDs that are 50 also at 1080p, everything else 23.98 BDs at 4k?
So one setting in profiles at 1080p the other at 4K, this way both resolutions can have the same high NGU settings?
I'd focus on creating profile groups for scaling and use lower scaling settings for the high fps content. This would be the easiest way to handle your problem.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 07:36   #43865  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Using a 1050 in Win10 creator update
My LG65UH8500 automatically switch to HDR mode using Madvr in Nvidia API mode in Jriver
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 08:06   #43866  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
Yes exactly as soon as the HDR slidder is on, the HDR logo appears on my tv and my tv stay in HDR mode regardless of whether any video is playing. But desktop is weird / dark looking.

Once I start an hdr video in FSE, even if my tv is already in HDR mode, the hdr logo appears again and madvr/mpc-be display HDR correctly.

If I uncheck ''send HDR metadata to the display'' :
it change nothing
in FSE: HDR is still displayed properly
windowed mode: washed out colors
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Same issue of imhh11,
GTX1070, Win10 CU, latest nvidia driver, latest madvr, latest Lav Filter.
I use Kodi DSlayer v17.1. TV Samsung KS8000

If I turn on HDR slide in Windows 10, all videos are play in HDR mode.
If I turn off HDR slide in Windows 10, madvr don't turn on my TV into HDR mode. The only way is to turn on HDR slide manually when I need to play an HDR video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
RX470.Yes,it shows the switch.I tried it on and off but it gets disabled all the time.The only time I've seen it enabled was with the installation of new drivers but it didn't last long.With previous madvr version I've seen it getting enabled at random times when opening a video(non hdr) but if I remember well it gets disabled when going fullscreen.Haven't tested a lot with v0.91.10 but the behavior seems like the past.Washed out image and hdr stays disabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
Weird indeed! And that's correct, yes. And when the HDR switch is activated both madVR in windowed mode and the Win 10 Movies & TV app render the video correctly.

With the HDR slider on or off videos in FSE look exactly the same and also look identical to what I get when I choose EVR as the renderer in MPC-HC.

Just to be sure I am being totally clear. In windowed mode with the Win 10 API HDR metadata is always being passed whether HDR mode is activated via the switch or not, but is only displayed correctly when the HDR switch is active. In FSE mode HDR metadata is never being passed regardless of the state of the HDR switch and, additionally, when FSE mode is activated it will take me out of HDR mode on my TV if it has been activated by the switch. As soon as I leave fullscreen, if HDR had been activated by the switch my TV will return to HDR mode and HDR metadata is passed again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph123uk View Post
A quick video of what I am experiencing in MADVR HDR - windowed and fullscreen windowed.

Using Windows 10 API, fullscreen exclusive disabled, doesn't seem to make much difference what settings I change.
This is WITHOUT the HDR colour tab slider switched to "ON" in windows.

very strange indeed haha!

https://youtu.be/adx8KVVBH5M
Interesting, thanks! Can you guys comment on how madVR's behaviour compares to the Win 10 Movies & TV app, and how it compares to HDR games? Do they have the same behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Update - tried the above on drivers past 378.92, and it doesn't work. From reading the nvidia forums, post this driver, nvidia handed over an important part of the render chain to the OS.
Do you have a link about that forum post, explaining how NVidia handed over stuff to the OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiseikiseki View Post
In previous build I have to limit the buffer and set to D3D9 mode, but In madVR v0.91.10 All Optimus Problem has gone here!!
Thanks a lot!!
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igvk View Post
So, is it indeed the way madVR handles WtW values when using 3dlut?
And the video is really full range (but interpreted as limited)?
A 3dlut is calculated offline, so it has the chance to calculate everything is perfect accuracy. Because of that, when using a 3dlut, madVR leaves *everything* in the hands of the 3dlut, which includes handling of WTW and BTB. It's the job of the 3dlut to handle WTW and BTB correctly. If it doesn't, it's not madVR's fault, but the fault of the 3dlut. In that case please discuss this with the developers of the software you used to create the 3dlut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaiyee View Post
My LG65UH8500 automatically switch to HDR mode using Madvr in Nvidia API mode in Jriver
I was hoping that the Nvidia API would be the best option for all Nvidia users, but so far most people reported that it didn't work, at least in Windows 10. Which exact driver version are you using?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 08:13   #43867  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaiyee View Post
LOL:
But HDR slide is on or off in windows settings?
Because with my GTX 1070, win 10 CU, madvr with nVidia API, kodi DSPlayer, my TV Samsung KS8000 don't switch automatically in HDR mode until I turn ON manualy HDR slide in Win 10.
But with Win10 HDR slide ON, all normal videos are in HDR.
nVidia driver 382.05

Last edited by cyber201; 24th May 2017 at 08:15.
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 08:48   #43868  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@ Madshi:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...ck-for-games-/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...hdr-problem/2/
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=413309

Looks like the issue is WDDM 2.2 in CU, which effects pretty much every nvidia driver past 378.92 (with this driver and below, the HDR option does not appear in the win 10 os, as the nvidia driver is handing that part of the render chain I believe).

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 24th May 2017 at 08:54.
oldpainlesskodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 08:57   #43869  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

You said that the forums suggested that the GPU drivers have handed over an important part of the render chain to the OS. I can't find that in any of the links you posted?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 09:19   #43870  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You said that the forums suggested that the GPU drivers have handed over an important part of the render chain to the OS. I can't find that in any of the links you posted?
Ok, it mentions in all 3 threads that HDR has never worked in creators update using a driver built for WDDM 2.2, which is pretty much every driver past the one I mentioned (looks like nevcairiel has been involved in this topic if i'm not mistaken, and he may have a more technical answer for you).

If you run the nvidia HDR sdk (https://developer.nvidia.com/high-dy...ay-development , link to sdk at the bottom of the page) in drivers lower than 378.92, the api triggers HDr mode. After driver 378.92, the api does not work, because of the way nvidia tried to hand over control using wddm 2.2 to the os I believe)

Another thread on this issue http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...-thread-3.html

"Windows 10 Redstone 2 (aka the Creators Update) now supports native HDR effects and that it takes control of this Function when a WDDM 2.2 driver is detected."

I'm using the insider program, and I am on the latest 16199 build, and its still the same story.

K

Update:

Re Win 10 Tv and Movie App. Using the latest nvidia driver 382.33 on Win 10 16199 build. NCP set as default colour settings, HDR slider in OS on, it plays 10bit HDR Hevc fine and in HDR mode. Kodi using Madvr, FSE dx11, win 10 api, crashes and reboots.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 24th May 2017 at 11:22. Reason: update
oldpainlesskodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:11   #43871  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Interesting, thanks! Can you guys comment on how madVR's behaviour compares to the Win 10 Movies & TV app, and how it compares to HDR games? Do they have the same behaviour?
Regarding the Movies & TV app, it allowed CPU decoding of 10-bit HEVC clips in Anniversary Update but NOT in Creators Update any more
Anybody has a clue how can it be fixed?
nsnhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:00   #43872  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Quote:
I was hoping that the Nvidia API would be the best option for all Nvidia users, but so far most people reported that it didn't work, at least in Windows 10. Which exact driver version are you using?
It's 381.89

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:20   #43873  |  Link
Telion

madshi, please make downscaling after doubling use strict AR in NGU AA & super-xbr. And add the hotkey to display configuration dialog. Why it's taking so long to do these simple things?
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:29   #43874  |  Link
Chanteyousei

Anyone having this issue where the Render and Present Queue would be empty(0/8) and cause the rendering time to shoot up to at least more than 120ms?

Weird thing is that this is occuring on my dual monitor desktop setup and not on my laptop which has a slightly lower spec than the desktop.

Desktop: i5-6500 and GTX 1070
Laptop: i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060

An observation I made is that this only happens if the video is in fullscreen(not exclusive) mode and the video player is in focus, when this problem is occuring, everything else would freeze for a split second(including mouse cursor and even my keyboard's RGB lighting) every 4 to 5 seconds.

This problem stops if I move my mouse cursor over to the monitor the video is not playing on and click there to remove focus from the video player to something else. However, if i click on the video player icon in the taskbar or do anything to bring the video player back in focus, this problem occurs again.

MPC-HC in focus: http://i.imgur.com/gp80jbm.png
MPC-HC not in focus: http://i.imgur.com/ds7syFR.png

Any ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks to this ticket on the bug tracker, I fixed it. It was F.lux's fault. Turning on Safe Mode fixes it.

Last edited by Chanteyousei; 26th May 2017 at 08:57. Reason: Added solution
Chanteyousei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:04   #43875  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
madshi, please make downscaling after doubling use strict AR in NGU AA & super-xbr. And add the hotkey to display configuration dialog. Why it's taking so long to do these simple things?
Why is it so hard to just be patient and grateful for a product you enjoy for free?
Old 24th May 2017, 15:56   #43876  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
lol yeah wtf really

Fact is that many of use have long been awaiting a way to disable the exclusive/windowed OSD messages and a config panel hotkey but madshi does it for free and has his own priorities so suck it up and enjoy.

PS: you can always build your own hotkey by calling "\madVR\madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettingsDontWait"

Last edited by leeperry; 24th May 2017 at 16:24.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 18:30   #43877  |  Link
dioxholster

maybe its time madshi montizes it.
dioxholster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 19:47   #43878  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post
maybe its time madshi montizes it.
Bicubic150 AR relaxed / SSIM2D100 AR relaxed

50% downscale (source).
Old 24th May 2017, 23:06   #43879  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
Thanks for your excellent work as always.

I think movies and tv app work a bit better.
Start faster, tv don't have to switch to HDR again.
You can change audio/subtitles (mouse) without HDR turning off

Having to use the FSE mode is a pain in the ass with a JVC projector, it takes forever to get an image.

So the day madvr support HDR in windowed mode without having to turn on the OS slider, all those movie and tv app benefits are gone.

Last edited by imhh11; 25th May 2017 at 00:07.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 23:16   #43880  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Bicubic150 AR relaxed / SSIM2D100 AR relaxed
I prefer Bicubic150AR between them.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling