Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th September 2011, 06:43   #12901  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Interestingly most of the tests that I've seen reported were actually conducted by the same people who are "selling" you HD audio. There are lots of sources, but with a quick Google, here's a quote from the DTS Wiki:
Well, to me "perceptually transparent for most audio program material" means the differences are not noticeable most of the time, and I have no argument with that - even though it is a wiki quote that came from whomever. I'll try to track down some more definitive actual test results just for fun - tomorrow - football tonight . .

Football is done (it was a very fine football weekend for SF Bay Area fans!).
I came across a reference to this article. Just sharing it here - should probably start a new thread elsewhere if we want to discuss it further.
http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM

Last edited by Rich86; 13th September 2011 at 07:04.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 13:47   #12902  |  Link
jdobbs

Sigh... that's really reaching. A double-blind test is scientific proof. If you can find scientific studies that prove to the contrary then I can listen -- but I'm confident you won't. The article you link is just some guys listening from chairs when they know which-is-which... hell that's not scientific, it is nonsense. I know of studies where people consistently identified one track as superior in quality to another --- when nothing had changed except the amplitude.

This is almost a religion -- and eventually it will come down to "faith". I'm really not that interested in talking about it anymore, as it divides people in to warring factions over an unimportant subject -- and frankly BD-RB already has the capability of keeping HD audio, so what's the point? Let's just drop it and get this thread back on topic.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th September 2011 at 14:02.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:46   #12903  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Let's just drop it and get this thread back on topic.
Yes, HD audio has been discussed (to death, many times!) already, and if anyone wants to keep everything on a BD, they need only burn BD-50s, right?
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:52   #12904  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Hmm... I was going through the code and remembered that "yes", I did add a switch to disable this. Just add the following line to your INI file:

AUDIO_DIRECTSHOW=0
This switch worked for me! Tried both multi-m2ts movies that had converted to DD 2.0, but now they convert to DD 5.1.
jdobbs.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 15:08   #12905  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
This switch worked for me! Tried both multi-m2ts movies that had converted to DD 2.0, but now they convert to DD 5.1.
jdobbs.
Great. I sure wish I knew why it was acting goofy, though. Maybe I should set NicDTSSource() back as the default and add a "SAMSUNG=" switch since that is the only player I've seen that appears to be affected by NicAudio's "inexactness" bug. Unfortunately it appears that NicAudio() and DirectShowSource() are the only options for audio decoding.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th September 2011 at 22:39.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:30   #12906  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Yes, HD audio has been discussed (to death, many times!) already, and if anyone wants to keep everything on a BD, they need only burn BD-50s, right?
Like I mentioned earlier - my focus is on getting the highest quality video and audio of the movie on a BD25. Using BDRE in movie only mode with the highest quality settings and including only the very best audio track plus a subtitle if needed works very well, thanks to the fine quality output available from jdobbs programs.

Last edited by Rich86; 13th September 2011 at 18:34.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:34   #12907  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Sigh... that's really reaching. A double-blind test is scientific proof. If you can find scientific studies that prove to the contrary then I can listen -- but I'm confident you won't. The article you link is just some guys listening from chairs when they know which-is-which... hell that's not scientific, it is nonsense. I know of studies where people consistently identified one track as superior in quality to another --- when nothing had changed except the amplitude.

This is almost a religion -- and eventually it will come down to "faith". I'm really not that interested in talking about it anymore, as it divides people in to warring factions over an unimportant subject -- and frankly BD-RB already has the capability of keeping HD audio, so what's the point? Let's just drop it and get this thread back on topic.
Finding folks sitting around talking about and posting comments on double blind test results they say they are aware of is easy . . finding an actual definitive report on a professionally conducted double blind test is not so easy. If I do come across something worthwhile I'll post it in a different thread. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2011, 00:52   #12908  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.39.01 (beta)

I have updated the first post of this thread with links to a new release of BD-RB (v0.39.01). Changes for this release:
Code:
- Corrected and issue in which certain types of
  HDMV menus may not be flagged properly and as a
  result they may not be processed as such.
- Corrected an error in which selected LPCM audio 
  sources from a multi-m2ts stream may cause AFTEN 
  to fail during reencoding.
- Changed default for IVTC selection.  Some common
  players appear to have playback difficulties with
  AVC using 3:2 pulldown, resulting in "jerkiness".
- Added additional code to prevent encoding and/or
  previewing failure on exceptionally small M2TS 
  sources.
- Corrected a problem in which it may be possible
  for audio/pgs streams to be selected/deselected
  and the effect doesn't ripple through all related
  playlists via playlist siblings.
- Corrected an error in which angles that are a
  part of the main feature MPLS could, under certain
  circumstances be "quick encoded" rather than
  following the required criteria of the MPLS.
- Corrected an error in which angles that are a
  part of the main feature MPLS could under certain
  circumstances not be encoded -- and as a result
  might not match the coding type of the main 
  stream.
- Added a new "Unblock Chapter Skip" feature to 
  SETUP. This will get help you skip over those 
  annoying trailers at the beginning of discs that 
  force to to either watch or fast-forward through 
  them (ughh).
- Corrected a long-standing issue in which selection
  or deselection of audio/subs could create issues
  in stream lists that contain more than 255 items.
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the
  latest release (r2074).
- Updated the included version of X264-64.EXE to 
  the latest release (r2074).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:10   #12909  |  Link
xterminater

Thank u very much for the new update! Can I ask if this version allows you to remove annoying trailers? And keep menu and movies only? Or is that still in the works
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 01:14   #12910  |  Link
jdobbs

Special Blank/Edit Testing for BD-RB

In the latest version of BD-RB (v0.39.01) I have added some undocumented features. I didn't want to make them widely available until there was some more widespread testing (so far I'm the only tester). The new features enable a "Movie and Menus" mode and also the ability to selectively blank playlists.

I expect that there will be a need for some additional tweaking before these features are ready for general consumption, so I ask that anyone who would like to test these features post anything they find in this thread.

---------------

1. In order to enable the new features, use the menu "File/View/Edit Config" and add this line to the config/INI file:

ENABLE_TEST=1

2. The "Movie and Menus" selection will now appear in the MODE menu.

3. Movie and Menus works by blanking any playlist (other than menus) that is less than 20 minutes long. The size of playlists to exclude, however, can be modified by setting a parameter called BLANK_THRESHOLD in the config/INI file. The parameter is set by specifying the threshold size (in seconds). The default is 1200 (20 minutes) so if you added this:

BLANK_THRESHOLD=1800

You would raise the threshold and anything less than 30 minutes would be excluded. A point to remember: The threshold isn't related to an individual M2TS file -- it is associated with PLAYLISTS.

4. Sometimes you might want to select for yourself which things to blank/unblank. You can do that by entering "Edit Mode". You enter edit mode by double-clicking on the title of the current disc (right next to the icon and above the Streams List). I may change the way of doing that later. Edit mode will not work unless you have ENABLE_TEST=1 set.

5. When in edit mode, streams that are selected for blanking will be "grayed out" in the streams display. When not in "Edit Mode" they are not visible.

6. "Edit Mode" can only be entered when using either "Full Backup" or "Movie and Menus" modes -- it will not work on a "Movie-Only" backup (for obvious reasons).

7. Also remember -- when you edit (blank or unblank), you selection works against a PlayList. So blanking/unblanking a single item can result in multiple items (any that are siblings to the selected items in any Playlist. Another point: Items that BD-RB has flagged as menus cannot be blanked (normally they won't even show up on a BD-25 backup, but will on a BD-9 because they have to be reencoded).

--------------------

You'll find that by using "Edit Mode" you can get some pretty nice effects. For example, if you select "Full Backup" mode, and then enter edit mode and blank the feature -- you can create a disc that contains only the extras. Combine that with movie-only mode and... you can now create a two disc backup that contains all features of a disc.

You may also find that menus might not be correctly identified 100% of the time... but it's close, and I'm looking for ways to make it more accurate.

Anyway -- please play with it and let me know what you think. Any suggestions for making it more usable will also be appreciated -- but please be reasonable.

Thanks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2011 at 17:09.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:15   #12911  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterminater View Post
Thank u very much for the new update! Can I ask if this version allows you to remove annoying trailers? And keep menu and movies only? Or is that still in the works
Read the post immediately following yours.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:42   #12912  |  Link
xterminater

Yea i just saw this after i posted it lol...
Old 15th September 2011, 02:58   #12913  |  Link
xterminater

jdobbs, I am trying out that new feature now. Will keep you updated on what happens. I am doing a BD9 of The Dark Knight and keeping the extras, bitrate is only 1900 so does that seem too low of a quality? Consider the movie is 2hr30min long and extra is an hour long! How should I go and put extra on a second disc, preferrably a bd5 and still keep menu? I'm guessing this is how I would do it?

Select movie and menu mode, then blank out that 1 hour extra using edit mode, then I will have a bd9 with just the main movie and a menu. Then once that finish encoding, just do the same but blank out the main movie, and keeping the 1hr feature?

Last edited by xterminater; 15th September 2011 at 03:03.
Old 15th September 2011, 03:46   #12914  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterminater View Post
jdobbs, I am trying out that new feature now. Will keep you updated on what happens. I am doing a BD9 of The Dark Knight and keeping the extras, bitrate is only 1900 so does that seem too low of a quality? Consider the movie is 2hr30min long and extra is an hour long! How should I go and put extra on a second disc, preferrably a bd5 and still keep menu? I'm guessing this is how I would do it?

Select movie and menu mode, then blank out that 1 hour extra using edit mode, then I will have a bd9 with just the main movie and a menu. Then once that finish encoding, just do the same but blank out the main movie, and keeping the 1hr feature?
Not sure I understand completely what you're asking. How you want to encode is sorta' up to you. Go into edit mode and look for other extras that are longer than 20 minutes, and see if you want to blank those. A 2.5 hour movie on a BD-9 should be somewhere over 6Mbs assuming a couple of audio tracks. The menus typically are pretty small so I wouldn't think they count for much.

You could set the threshold to 70 minutes and do "movie and menus" to one disc, then set "Full backup" and blank the feature on the second one. I would guess that BD-5 would be fine for the extras -- but I don't know how much there is.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2011 at 03:51.
Old 15th September 2011, 04:10   #12915  |  Link
xterminater

You mention from the post above that we should be able to do some nice effects, such as making a 2 disc back up having movie on one disc and extras on the other disc, which is what I'm trying to achieve. It was my fault, I looked at the wrong track, the 1900kpbs was the extra being re-encoded instead of the main feature. I am keeping only one audio track, the true-hd which have 640kpbs audio bitrate, regular AC3 I believe. I will report back what the main feature bitrate will be tomorrow once it finish encoding. I took off the extra and just encode the main movie previously just to see what the bitrate is and it was reporting 4948kbps which is in the ballpark of what you said about 6Mpbs.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:10   #12916  |  Link
owine

jdobbs you continue to impress with your work. I will be running a couple of discs overnight in Menu and Movie mode, I will report my findings. Thank you again for your fantastic software development.
owine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 06:22   #12917  |  Link
omegaman7

Jdobbs. Thank you for sharing the ability to blank. I'll be testing it too. And this friday, I'll try and throw something your way.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 07:24   #12918  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

Hi!
Quote:
You'll find that by using "Edit Mode" you can get some pretty nice effects. For example, if you select "Full Backup" mode, and then enter edit mode and blank the feature -- you can create a disc that contains only the feature. Combine that with movie-only mode and... you can now create a two disc backup that contains all features of a disc.
Does this mean that, exactly as I suggested in my August 26th post regarding DTS Express:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...94&postcount=1

that if you, jdobbs, were to allow the inclusion of UNTOUCHABLE/UNCONVERTED (other than splitting) DTS Express tracks, we would now be able to include the DTS Express track(s) on a two disc backup?

**EDIT** Based on jdobbs revision of his earlier post, I believe that what I suggested is still not possible. Please correct me if actually CAN be done ;>}

Last edited by setarip_old; 15th September 2011 at 21:51. Reason: jdobbs edited his earlier post
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 07:58   #12919  |  Link
longtom

Thanks for the update to 0.39.01
Any timeframe for the forced subtitles?
longtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 12:22   #12920  |  Link
colinhunt

New functionality in 0.39.01: wow! Can't wait to test it out; kudos for all the hard work, jdobbs!

Last edited by colinhunt; 15th September 2011 at 13:36.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote