Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 16th April 2010, 15:14   #661  |  Link
nakTT

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I also hope they will do it sooner rather than later. Personally I prefer aoTuV since most people said it is better than the official one.
nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 12:19   #662  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Sorry for my late reply...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Decoding time -vs- encoding time is like 1:100
So you could claim 'LameXP is now 1% faster*'

(*in rare cases)

No it's a joke, I understand.
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 20:06   #663  |  Link
manolito

Hi LoRd_MuldeR,

I have one question and one request...

Request first: Whenever I update LameXP to a new version, all my previous settings are gone, I have to reenter all my settings. Is it possible to teach the installer so that it will carry over all previous settings to the new version?

And now my question which concerns AC3 to WAV conversion:
Whenever I convert a 2-channel AC3 to WAV with LameXP, this WAV file plays OK in MPC, WaveLab also has no problems with it. But when I try to use this file with MuxMan to author a DVD, MuxMan rejects the file.

OTOH when I use good old HeadAC3he (version 0.24-a13) to do this conversion (one-pass mode, no sample rate conversion or normalization), the resulting WAV file is accepted by MuxMan. Do you have an explanation?

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 20:26   #664  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Request first: Whenever I update LameXP to a new version, all my previous settings are gone, I have to reenter all my settings. Is it possible to teach the installer so that it will carry over all previous settings to the new version?
The settings for each version of LameXP are stored separately.

If you look at "C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Roaming\MuldeR\LameXP\Settings.ini" in a text editor, you'll see that there is one section per LameXP version.

You can hack the INI file and rename the sections to port your settings into a newer version. At your own risk, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
And now my question which concerns AC3 to WAV conversion:
Whenever I convert a 2-channel AC3 to WAV with LameXP, this WAV file plays OK in MPC, WaveLab also has no problems with it. But when I try to use this file with MuxMan to author a DVD, MuxMan rejects the file.
Might be a WAVE_FORMAT_PCM -vs- WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE issue. See for details:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...ultichaud.mspx

Anyway, I think mpucoder would be the man to ask about MuxMan issues...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 7th May 2010 at 20:40.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 17:44   #665  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v3.18 Final, Hotfix-2
http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home...rojects#lamexp

Quote:
Changes between v3.17 and v3.18:
* Added an Unicode-safe "Open" dialog: File names are converted to "short" names if required
* Fixed mpg123 decoder to work on Windows 2000 (reported by Tim Womack)
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.98.4 (2010-03-23), compiled with ICL 11.1.054
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.32 (2010-05-02), compiled with ICL 11.1.065
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.12.1 (2010-03-31), compiled with GCC 4.4.4
* Updated Ogg Vorbis decoder to v1.9.7 (2010-03-29), compiled with MSVC 9.0
* Updated language files (big "thank you" to all contributors !!!)

Old 10th May 2010, 03:38   #666  |  Link
CpT

Thanks man, This is a great app!
CpT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 04:52   #667  |  Link
ckmox

thanks for the updates
ckmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:20   #668  |  Link
skrowl

Request: Can you please make the output filenames from the nero aac encoder .m4a rather than .mp4? Some video players (including several I tested on my android phone) assume that anything with a .mp4 extension is a video, so they pause whenever I lock my phone. I believe that .m4a is the standard extension for an audio-only aac file anyhow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_...ile_extensions

Thank you!
skrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:27   #669  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrowl View Post
Request: Can you please make the output filenames from the nero aac encoder .m4a rather than .mp4? Some video players (including several I tested on my android phone) assume that anything with a .mp4 extension is a video, so they pause whenever I lock my phone. I believe that .m4a is the standard extension for an audio-only aac file anyhow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_...ile_extensions

Thank you!
Nope. The only "correct" extension for MP4 files is ".mp4" and that's the extension I'll use. If Apples thinks they need their own extension, then that's their problem. I don't care

Quote:
.MP4 versus .M4A file extensions

The existence of two different file extensions for naming audio-only MP4 files has been a source of confusion among users and multimedia playback software. Since MPEG-4 Part 14 is a container format, MPEG-4 files may contain any number of audio, video, and even subtitle streams, making it impossible to determine the type of streams in an MPEG-4 file based on its filename extension alone. In response, Apple Inc. started using and popularizing the .m4a file extension. Software capable of audio/video playback should recognize files with either .m4a or .mp4 file extensions, as would be expected, as there are no file format differences between the two. Most software capable of creating MPEG-4 audio will allow the user to choose the filename extension of the created MPEG-4 files. [...] The only official file extension defined by the standard is .mp4. [...] The common but non-standard use of the extensions .m4a and .m4v is due to the popularity of Apple’s iPod, iPhone, and iTunes Store.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st May 2010 at 17:29.
Old 26th May 2010, 08:44   #670  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

Hey LoRd_MuldeR just pointing out a bug.

When I convert multiple Albums of Tracks the track number gets screwed up...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 26th May 2010, 09:01   #671  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_Undone View Post
Hey LoRd_MuldeR just pointing out a bug.

When I convert multiple Albums of Tracks the track number gets screwed up...
The track numbers are assigned according to the file's position in the source files list!

And there are various options to sort the files on the list, including "by track number"

Old 18th June 2010, 21:52   #672  |  Link
dforionstar

Please remove 96 dpi restriction

LoRd_MuldeR:

Thank you for the awesome LameXP application.

Unfortunately I am unable to use it as the screen fonts are not scalabel and I get the message saying I should use 96 dpi.

In my opinion, that is an outdated restriction, as present-day configurations come in a multitude of display and screen sizes. In my case, I use a notebook PC with 15.4" screen size, WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) native resolution. I normally use a resolution of 1440 x 900, 144dpi, extra large system fonts. Even at these settings, LamXP fonts are very small.

I hope in future releases, you will be encouraged to address this.

Danke!/Thank you!
dforionstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:25   #673  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforionstar View Post
LoRd_MuldeR:

Thank you for the awesome LameXP application.

Unfortunately I am unable to use it as the screen fonts are not scalabel and I get the message saying I should use 96 dpi.

In my opinion, that is an outdated restriction, as present-day configurations come in a multitude of display and screen sizes. In my case, I use a notebook PC with 15.4" screen size, WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) native resolution. I normally use a resolution of 1440 x 900, 144dpi, extra large system fonts. Even at these settings, LamXP fonts are very small.

I hope in future releases, you will be encouraged to address this.

Danke!/Thank you!
The warning has been removed long ago, but only for Windows Vista and later (that means for Windows 7 too). That's because starting with Vista, DPI settings different from 96 are handled much better. The content of the window is now upscaled by the OS rather than by the application (unless the application explicitly indicated that it is "DPI-aware"). LameXP is not DPI-aware! Using DPI settings different from 96 causes the layout to be destroyed on Windows XP and earlier (see below). Thus the warning will remain for older OS versions. I can only recommend to update your OS, if possible...

Please compare these:

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th June 2010 at 10:45.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:47   #674  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v3.19 Alpha-3
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d4m5ty...12.Alpha-3.exe

Quote:
Changes between v3.18 and v3.19:
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.34 (2010-07-09), compiled with ICL 11.1.065
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.12.3 (2010-07-11), compiled with GCC 4.6.0
* Updated language files (big "thank you" to all contributors !!!)
* Fixed decoding of certain invalid WavPack files

Old 23rd July 2010, 10:59   #675  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

After all the time I've ever spend encoding audio and video files I just came across LameXP. I must say, it's a really awesome program, really. From metadata support to sampling rate, quality preferences, my gosh. It's really a great program. Thanks Mulder!

Oh, and if my memory serves me correctly, ipods (at least the ones not capable of displaying video) don't play mp4 files. But I don't know, my memory may not be serving me too well

Anyhoo, thanks again!

edit: oh! and multithreading (well, using a different thread for each instance) is SOOO FUC&^NG AWESOME! The time that nero aac ui uses to encode lamexp does in a small fraction of the time. This should be donationware my friend, holy shite. You have all the features of commercial software in a GNU proggy. Fu*^ng amazing. Thanks again!

Last edited by rtjnyoface; 23rd July 2010 at 11:06.
rtjnyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:28   #676  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjnyoface View Post
Oh, and if my memory serves me correctly, ipods (at least the ones not capable of displaying video) don't play mp4 files. But I don't know, my memory may not be serving me too well
From all that I know (not that I would ever buy/use any Apple products) the iPod only accepts AAC audio streams that are stored in a MP4 container.

However it seems that these morons decided that MP4 files, which only contain a single audio streams, will only be recognized as audio files with an incorrect ".m4a" file name

LameXP will create MP4 files with the correct ".mp4" file name, of course...

Old 24th July 2010, 20:31   #677  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

No dear sir. I've only been using the m4a extension for my ipod. And from what I know, itunes converts them to aac, not mp4.
rtjnyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 20:18   #678  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjnyoface View Post
No dear sir. I've only been using the m4a extension for my ipod. And from what I know, itunes converts them to aac, not mp4.
Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. We must distinguish between the stream format and the container format here:

No matter what, the audio streams are in the AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio format. Furthermore the AAC streams are usually stored in a MP4 container (MPEG-4 Part 14).

The one and only correct file name extension for MP4 files, according to the MPEG-4 specifications, is .mp4 and nothing else. The .m4a extension was Apple's idea

A proper application will recognize a MP4 file regardless of its file name (extensions) - by looking at the file header!

Software that relies on file name extensions to "detect" the file format is silly and error-prone by definition. Software that even relies on an incorrect extension simply is brain-dead.

LameXP outputs AAC streams stored in a MP4 container. And those files are stored with the correct .mp4 file name extension.

I will never change that, just because of one company's incompetence. If you really must, rename your audio-only MP4 files from .mp4 to .m4a in Explorer and that's it...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 26th July 2010 at 00:41.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:49   #679  |  Link
Chimel

Merci so beaucoup

Late thank you, but the forum would not let me post and then I forgot! ^-^
So glad I found LameXP, I was using Switch Sound File Converter, but the buggers asked me more money when I moved from Vista to Windows 7!
I saw "batch processing" and switches mentioned several times, does it mean LameXP has a command line mode?
For the sake of me I haven't been able to find it.

It's great that you added WMA support after that Softpedia review (or rather before that, as you mentioned), but I have to agree with the comment about the 3 sounds in Setup, About and Encoding, the latter one is real bad when you've switched to other tasks and may have cranked up the volume... It would be great to have at least a silent option, but I guess that's not a priority.

Manolito and some other commenters are right, the settings should really be persistent across updates, the settings.ini manual hack is lame(xp?). Every single application work this way, and I now have files that were converted with the wrong settings because I didn't realize LameXP has reset them all. I have no way to find them now.

That Delphi Unicode limitation really sucks for the artist, album or song names retrieved automatically from the Internet. Whether it's classical composers such as Bedřich Smetana or Leoš Janáček or Scandinavian folk-metal songs such as Erämaan Ärjyt, they are all in unknown different code pages, so AppLocale and batch processing cannot be used. On the other hand, many cheap MP3 players don't support Unicode either, an option to convert all extended characters to pure ASCII could be nice.

But I digress, I appreciate you're doing the best with what little time you have and that old Delphi build, and you have all my for that essential tool!

My audio conversion routine, couple of times a week:
- Get a bunch of CDs, mostly used. Insert them into my Win7 PC's CD player, with Windows Media Player set to rip them automatically (into lossless WMAs).
- Review/edit the artist/album/title/genre/folder/file names.
- Run a batch file that calls LameXP to create MP3s out of the WMAs in the same folder.
- Same script then moves the MP3s to a non-indexed folder with robocopy /mov, and the WMAs and artwork to my audio library with robocopy /move.

That's why I was wondering about batch processing and switches at the beginning, I thought I could specify which folder to add and encode, maybe even bypass the 3 manual "Close" buttons at the end of each batch. That would really rock! I'd be glad to help.
Chimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 00:56   #680  |  Link
Karkas

Great program LoRd_MuldeR, thanks a million!

However, I recently ran into a problem transcoding large FLAC files to AAC.

It seems to error out because it is converting the flac to wav as intermediate to AAC, but the wav cant be larger than 4gb. Is there a work-around? 64bit wav codec or soemthing I can add in or some other way?

Thanks in advance
Karkas is offline   Reply With Quote