View Single Post
Old 29th December 2012, 14:05   #12  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Never knew that it has its own encoding engine. I would have thought that it uses libx264 like all the other graphical user interpolators.
Well that's the description used by the makers of Vidcoder, so due to an inability to come up with anything more imaginative....
VidCoder often has something such as this in it's release notes, so I guess that's in line with what LoRd_MuldeR is saying:
"Upgraded HandBrake core to 0.9.8 release".

Out of curiosity I ran a couple of quick encodes just to see what x264 settings Handbrake does use. I was curious because some of h3nry's settings aren't ones which you can access via Handbrake's GUI (I don't think).
It's High Profile preset uses all x264 defaults aside from rc-lookahead which is increased from 40 to 50, b-adapt is optimal instead of fast and qpmin is increased form 0 to 3. If you use HandBrake's "reset all" button the only setting which isn't default is qpmin for which it still uses 3. Probably no big deal.

I guess newer versions of x264 might compress a little better. The same small CRF18 encode using MeGUI (x264 core 129) and default x264 settings resulted in a file size around 1% smaller than HandBrake (x264 core 120). I remuxed each using the same version of MKVMergeGUI before comparing them.

Last edited by hello_hello; 29th December 2012 at 14:20.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote