View Single Post
Old 28th September 2016, 07:46   #13  |  Link
tsk1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
Despite my support for commercial software (expressed in my previous post), I detest the subscription model. The problem is one of contracts and promises. When you buy (technically, you license) software, you know what you are getting before you pay your money. If you don't like the next upgrade, you don't have to buy it, and you can continue to use the old software without paying another cent.

By contrast, these subscription models put the company's hand in your pocket every month, and if their next release is a stinker, you still have to keep paying, forever, to keep using the old software, because as soon as you stop paying, they deactivate the software.

Thus, if the company is like Sony (now Magix) who has not had a decent upgrade to Vegas in years, I would have spent many times more money, just to keep using an old version.

Unfortunately, most software, from Windows on down, doesn't really get enhanced much any more. The good programmers have long since gone elsewhere (doing iOS and Android projects, and other things). Windows hasn't added any signficant functionality since XP, over a decade ago.
The only subscription model I have is lightroom, because there is no much of a choice in India. at 8$/month, its quite affordable though.

I prefer open source wherever I can, but I guess my next project will be sony vegas based if I can get the hang of it.

Unlike blender, the tutorial support for this is a little thin.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote