View Single Post
Old 13th May 2023, 22:45   #10  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD MOVIE SOURCE View Post
It has a look that I want from x265, especially considering that it's a soft encoder. My goal was to achieve as much detail as x265 allows. I think I achieved that.
Well its anime at 70Mbps, so ofc, for the most part it looks fine, but it took me like 10s to find stuff like this, that looks horrible (a lot of the complex frames have this issue):

https://i.imgur.com/9vOUrhN.png

This is the same part with x265 with pretty much stock settings; preset slow at 50mbps with some minor tweaks (also bluray-compliant)

https://i.imgur.com/FKnfT21.png

The parts of the video without this issue of visible CU-blocks it looks virtually the same, there is no relevant difference in sharpness/detail between the versions.

Quote:
My final settings after testing and tuning are...

CRF=1, Very Slow (Better than Placebo)

bluray-compat=1:no-open-gop:min-keyint=1:keyint=24:rc-lookahead=24:slices=4:scenecut=40:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000: pbratio=1.00:ipratio=1.00:ref=4:constrained-intra=0:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:b-adapt=2:b-pyramid=0:weightp=1:weightb=1:no-deblock: psy-rd=1.57,0.00:subme=11:mbtree=0:deadzone-inter=0:deadzone-intra=0:no-dct-decimate:cabac=1:8x8dct=1:direct=auto:analyse=all:me=tesa:merange=24:chroma-me=0:trellis=2:fast-pskip=0: partitions=all:aq-mode=3:aq-strength=1.6

I've been testing it on prores trailers with film grain and I think it looks excellent.

This is the frame quality from Oppenheimer Trailer 1. Pretty happy with it.
HB x264 [info]: frame I:140 Avg QP: 9.78 size:328976
HB x264 [info]: frame P:1048 Avg QP:10.89 size:211909
HB x264 [info]: frame B:1636 Avg QP:10.43 size:156733
I tried those out on Tears of Steel, seemed good enough, resulted in pretty much an transparent encode. I compared it to the VBR encode I did earlier for the VBR-graph, with pretty much just veryslow tune film @ 30Mbps and they look pretty much the same, found frames though were some heavy zooming and pixel peaking favored 30Mbps encode with the stock settings (issues with blocking). Although I quite like ToS as a source (the best freely available lossless source that is a good reference for your standard SDR movie), it dont have any really complex scenes, so for this case it simply doesnt pushes the encoder enough with these bitrate-levels (But I do get higher QP-values with your settings for this than you get from that trailer so thats at least an indicator that its harder to compress than that). But I have a feeling that no-deblock can cause some nasty side-effects when you encounter something really complex were the high bitrate cant handle it by brute force, other than that the settings doesnt look too odd, maybe a few here and there (why disable ME on the chroma plane? And isnt b-pyramid strict allowed?)

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 13th May 2023 at 23:36.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote