View Single Post
Old 24th August 2014, 07:28   #60  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, I don't like the idea to take only the first frame into account. In many cases, the depth value of the first frame is not the highest one, and if we use it blindly, the subtitle may be "inside" an object during a big part of the duration of the subtitle. Imagine, for example, an empty scene with only objects far away from the surface of the screen. The subtitle starts here. Then, a character enters the scene and is largely in front of the screen. The subtitle will be at a completely wrong depth, behind the character. (It's exactly the inverse situation of the case that BD3D2MK3D tries to avoid by skipping the first and last frames.) In my tests, I have often encountered similar cases.

But I agree that an (advanced and somewhat hidden) option to control the number of frames to skip at the beginning and end of the subtitle might be useful. If you set that option to 0, I guess you'll have the same result than PDVD. I will add it in the config file. (You will have to edit it manually, as I don't think I'll add that complex to understand option in the GUI.)

I don't know if it is possible to capture the output of PDVD. I guess it can capture a still image, but I suppose that it will save only the base view. And that the subtitle will not be included. Perhaps you can configure it in anaglyph, and take a screenshot with another program?

[EDIT] I was slightly wrong when I have explained that BD3D2MK3D skips 3 frames at the beginning and end of the subtitle's 3D-plane data. In fact, it skips 5 frames. Not a big difference, as 208 ms is too short for the brain to detect a problem anyway.

Now, I've added the option to change that setting in the config file, but I have modified slightly the logic. The frames to skip are the total number of frames of the subtitle divided by 6, and if that number is greater than the configured maximum margin value, that margin value is used. I had to do that to ensure that the number of remaining frames to take into account is always greater than 0, regardless of the duration of the subtitle and the (possibly high) margin value configured by the user. So, to remove completely the margin, you should set the max margin value to 0, and to skip a sixth f the duration of the subtitle at the beginning and at the end, you should use a very high number of frames, such as 1000. The default value 5 is recommended though.

I will release v0.44 soon...

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th August 2014 at 08:20.