View Single Post
Old 13th September 2017, 09:26   #1231  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
First of all, a big thanks to r0lZ for this awesome software. Unbelievable that I never was aware of the possibilities of this tool.

I'm doing lots of subtitle creating/editing. Also wanting to be able to do that for 3D subs and understanding this piece of gem software, I'm near completing reading this whole thread phew. Wow, it's dazzling...
Thanks for your kind words!
Quote:
Looking at the "2: Select streams"-tab I at first was also a bit confused about keeping only the True-HD track.

The box "Use the 5.1 core of DTS-HD, TrueHD and E-AC3 audio streams..." is misleading indeed.
I agree that the terminology is not correct in the case of THD+AC3, as there is no core+extension but two sub-streams muxed together as one combined stream.

If I have decided to include only a single option, it's because usually there is only a single HD audio track in a movie. It can be either THD+AC3 or DTS-HD/MA, but I have never seen a movie containing a THD AND a DTS-HD/MA track at the same time.

The user can select either the "lite" and compatible option of demuxing only the AC3 sub-stream or the DTS core, or he can opt for the best quality and keep either the THD or the DTS-HD/MA stream. IMO, there is no need to split that option in 4 different parts, as I don't think that it makes much sense to keep the two streams from a combined THD+AC3 stream. (And a power user can do it anyway, as explained at the end of my previous post.) Furthermore, the 3D BDs containing a THD+AC3 stream are very rare, and I don't want to add too many options, difficult to understand for the casual users.

However, I agree that using the term "core" for THD+AC3 is not correct. But the place in the GUI is limited, and I haven't enough room to explain in details what the option does. If someone proposes a better name for that option, short enough to fit in the GUI, I will of course accept to use it instead of the current text.

Quote:
So, looking at the previously mentioned box, I would suggest changing it into something like this:

One box for DTS-HD that would say something like: Use only dts-core (If checked, only the dts-core will be muxed. If unchecked, the whole DTS-HD stream will be muxed (as one audiotrack) in the resulting mkv)

And a second box for TrueHD in which one has three choices, something like:

1: AC3 only (one track: only the legacy AC3 track will be muxed)

2: TrueHD only (one track: only the TrueHD track will be muxed)

3: TrueHD track + AC3 track (so, both independent tracks will be muxed as two audiotracks). With maybe the possibility to set one or the other as "default track" ?
Well, that would be perfect, but as I wrote above, IMO it's overkill.

Another way to handle the THD+AC3 problem would be to present the two sub-streams in the list of streams as two totally independent streams. The user will have the possibility to select the THD stream or/and the AC3 stream independently, and tick the Default option for the stream he prefers. And the option to keep only the core will be related to the DTS streams only. But that would require many changes to the way BD3D2MK3D handles the audio streams, and that may introduce new bugs, so I'm not sure I will do it.

Last edited by r0lZ; 13th September 2017 at 09:37.