View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:36   #53  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D use the plane listed by tsMuxeR for the processed MPLS, unless that plane doesn't exist, is empty or has a fixed depth. In that cases, it uses the second plane with a defined depth, or the first one if there is only one usable plane.

But the difference can perhaps be related to the way the values from the planes are used. BD3D2MK3D extracts the values of all frames during which the subtitle is shown, except the 3 first and the 3 last frames, and it uses the highest depth value. I omit the first and last frames because sometimes a subtitle appears just before a cut and the values for that shot are not necessarily the best ones to use. Anyway, if the subtitle appears "inside" an object during 1, 2 or 3 frames, the brain has not enough time to realize the problem. For the same reason, the 3 last frames are not taken into account either.

Also, perhaps PowerDVD uses another algorithm to determine the final depth value, such as the average of all depth values.

Honestly, I don't know exactly how to compute the right value, because I haven't found any documentation on that subject. I have tried several slightly different methods, and I've kept the one that gives the best results, at least in my opinion. Of course, if someone can give me the exact method to use, I'll be glad to implement it.

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd August 2014 at 20:41.