View Single Post
Old 21st August 2014, 17:11   #49  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

What editor do you use? Notepad? (Notepad can save in UTF-8, but I think that there is no way to force it to do so.)

For the Chapters file, I must admit that there might be a problem in _MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt:
Code:
--chapter-language
und
--chapter-charset
ASCII
--chapters
chapters_3D_delay.ogm
As you can see, the language is undefined. (If you define chapter names in German, you should modify the value here, but I don't know if it matters. Perhaps there is the possibility to include several chapter files in different languages, and if it's the case, the player should select the one in your language.)

But, more important, the character encoding is defined by default as ASCII (because ASCII is enough for the numbers and the colon I use in the default chapter names). Of course, if your file is encoded in UTF-8, the player will probably stop as soon as it encounters a special character. I will change the charset argument to UTF-8, since the chapter files saved by BD3D2MK3D is compatible with the UTF-8 encoding. It will be possible to edit the Chapter file without having to modify the _MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt. Of course, you will have to be sure to save in UTF-8 and not ANSI when there is at least a special character in the file.

I will do a test right now, and if it works, I'll do it in the next version...

[EDIT] OK, test done. I have edited the Chapters file, and for the first time, I saw ANSI as the character encoding in PSPad. However, I have verified my code, and it saves the file in UTF-8 format. That confirms that a file saved in UTF-8 but that does NOT contain special characters is equivalent to ANSI.
For that reason, PSPad has saved my edits in ANSI, and indeed the chapter names were truncated at the first special character encountered. Then I have changed the charset in the mux file to UTF-8 (but without changing the chapter file), and the special characters have been displayed by MPC-HC as Chinese characters (I think.) Normal. ANSI with special chars is not UTF-8. So, I have reloaded the chapter file in PSPad and this time I have forced UTF-8. Now, the chapter names appears as they should in MPC-HC. :-)

I did again a test without special characters in the chapters file but with UTF-8 in the mux file, and everything went fine.

So, I have decided to change the ASCII string in the mux file to UTF-8. That works fine, and I prefer UTF-8, a good and well established standard, over ANSI, that exists in several variants (including "Windows ANSI"). But that means that you MUST use an editor that can force UTF-8 when saving the chapter file. If your editor cannot do that, use PSPad (free).

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd August 2014 at 10:18. Reason: typo