View Single Post
Old 29th August 2021, 16:13   #3  |  Link
daringtofly

Yes, this is truly a horrible player and I would not use it if I didn't have to
Thank you for taking the time to reply These are some excellent guesses! I'll try to address them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
First guess: Wrong kind of device ?
Second guess: Format incompatibility ?
I'm using a 1GB SD card in a USB-Cardreader, formatted by the 809. JPG and WMA are read and displayed so I think the format is fine.
Quote:
3rd guess: Structure incompatibility ?
No AVCHD on Stick, AVCHD from disc only.
The manual says no AVCHD on USB flash drive or Blu-ray, but yes to AVCHD on SD card (see "AVCHD on SD.jpg").
Quote:
No bare .m2ts,.MTS !
Complete BD/AVCHD folder structure only.

This means these containers can only be played from disc.
I am willing to burn a disc to try, of course, I just want to be reasonably certain that I'm not running afoul of other requirements. That's why I'm testing on SD first.
Quote:
DivX (3,4,5,6) with MP2, MP3, AC3 audio in .avi seems the only format not excluded from being played from stick.
For the 808, partly true ("808-DivX.png"). The 809 is DivX-certified in some regions ("DivX-Certified.png", "808-809-Divx.png", "808-809-Features.png" Source: divx.com; Onkyo catalog) but the (B)CDD1AN on the back of my North American unit is not on that list. I'm trying to confirm with Onkyo, but anyway I think AVCHD is better than DivX. Even for the 808, it claims DivX files need to be on disc and SD is simply more convenient. I've been referring to the 808 manual because it is written more clearly than the 809's in many cases, and I actually don't know the chipset differences in these devices. Do you know where I can find that information?

>>>Imgur album with images<<<

Last edited by daringtofly; 1st September 2021 at 21:35. Reason: Replaced pending attachments with Imgur album
daringtofly is offline   Reply With Quote