Thread: L-SMASH Source
View Single Post
Old 6th December 2019, 15:39   #1093  |  Link
hello_hello

Having read the last few posts....

MeGUI has been using the index file as the source for LWLibavVideoSource for as long as I can remember, just as it does for d2v index files. The Lsmash index file previously contained the path to the source file, so using it as the source in MeGUI's script creator worked as it does for DGIndex.
That's no doubt the issue, because MeGUI hasn't caught up to the change yet, which in my opinion is a step backwards. In the case of MeGUI, the working directory can be different to the directory where the source file is located, so opening the index file directly has always allowed the source to be re-opened in a new script by opening the index file, without MeGUI wanting to index it again, no matter where the index file is located (existing DGIndex index files can be used as the source for the same reasons). There's no way to manually type the source name/location when creating a new script via the script creator. You have to open a source file or an existing index file, and MeGUI creates a script using the index file as the source after indexing with Lsmash, or it expects to be able to open an existing one. It's a pity newer Lsmash versions don't work the same way, IMHO.

For ffms2, the path to the source isn't saved to the index file, but MeGUI still allows you to open the index file directly, however I think it must have the same name as the source file including the original extension, followed by the ffindex extension (that's how MeGUI creates the index file anyway). MeGUI then knows to create a script using the original file name for the source with the ffms2 cachefile argument pointing to the existing index file, rather than having to repeat the indexing process. It's not as convenient as indexing with DGIndex or Lsmash (once) was though, if you want to create a new script from scratch, because the index file has to be located in the same directory as the source file for it to work.
Does the newer Lsmash have the same cachefile argument, or is MeGUI going to be forced to re-index a source file to open it it in a new script (or maybe taught to check for an existing index file)?

One disadvantage of indexing with Lsmash in the past is it hasn't been possible for MeGUI to tell Lsmash not to index the audio when it's not necessary, which it can for ffms2. I also recall reading that this can now be done for newer LSmash versions, so it's no doubt another change that will require MeGUI to be updated for in the future.

PS I assume MeGUI always includes the original extension in the script and index file names to avoid conflicts when the output directory and the source directory are the same. ie for a source file named video.mkv the script would be named video.mkv.avs, the index file video.mkv.lwi, and the output file video.mkv.mkv.

Last edited by hello_hello; 6th December 2019 at 17:37.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote