View Single Post
Old 7th June 2014, 00:28   #1  |  Link
huhn

Black Clipping problem

Quote:
1-Black Clipping
If madVR's "devices | <my_monitor> | properties | the display expects the following RGB output levels:" is set to "PC levels (0-255)" (default setting), the reference black bar isn't flashed while Brightness is set to 46/100. To be precise the picture doesn't change much even if I raise Brightness to max.
If this setting is set to "TV levels (16-235)" I cannot make bars 2-16 blend together even if I set Brigtness to minimum. The same result for VMR9.
3-White Clipping
"PC levels (0-255)": bar 234 is the highest flashing bar regardless of Contrast setting.
"TV levels (16-235)": bar 244 is the highest flashing bar while Contrast is set to 91/100, all bars are flashing while Contrast is set to 86/100.

Questions:

Should I set madVR to use "PC levels" or "TV levels"? "TV levels" will give me more details but I confused with this "reference black". The guide says that I should definitely not want to see any bars below reference black but why? The picture details will be loosing this way.
If I use "TV levels" what Brightness value should I use? 46/100 has no sense in this case, hasn't it?
If I use "TV levels" what Brightness value should I use? I think of 86/100 since it should give me more details than 91/100, right?

Thanks in advance for the help. AVSHD guide seems to be to complicated for me. For example I cannot understand how to use 2-APL Clipping test correctly (what to look at in this test).
looks like your display clips same black level that pretty normal they are simply created with this problem and no one usually cares. this can be fixed with a calibration.

first of all you can use custom level settings try to change the settings that only 17 and higher flash you can do this in combination with your display settings.

if the problem is still there after you have done this check the file name please in the end both should have that problem VMR and MadVR.
Quote:
Should I set madVR to use "PC levels" or "TV levels"? "TV levels" will give me more details but I confused with this "reference black". The guide says that I should definitely not want to see any bars below reference black but why? The picture details will be loosing this way.
in a video there are no infos in the 0-16 part that a simple standard this test video is full range with infos in the 0-16 part but flagged like a BD/DVD with limited to make the problem visible. a normal encode shouldn't do this so it is totally fine to remove this no it's a must for good blacks.

the rest should be answered already.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote