View Single Post
Old 18th October 2014, 11:17   #110  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I think that attaching the two (little) CMD and AVS files with the MKV is important as a documentation, because you can always verify what has been made with the original streams and how the video has been encoded. It's not essential, but sometimes useful, and that takes very little place on disc. Now, BD3D2MK3D includes also the 3D-planes (if at least a stream has been converted to 3D), because they can be useful if, later, you want to add a subtitle in another language. You can build good 3D subtitles only if you have the original 3D planes. They are zipped, and due to their nature, the ZIP file is extremely small, so again the benefit can be big for just a little disc space.

Unfortunately, most 3D players ignore the 3D subtitles. It's a pity, but afaik only BD3D2MK3D can generate them with the right depth extracted from the 3D-plane, and therefore I understand that they are not supported by many players. The 3D subtitles are useful mainly if you use a 2D player to send its output via HDMI to a 3D TV. In that case, the 3D subs are absolutely mandatory. With some luck, the player will display them without resizing or moving them, and they will be perfectly displayed in 3D. If you want to see them in perfect 3D regardless of the player you use, I recommend to hardcode them on the video.

I have already found and fixed the subtitle bug, but I still need some time to test my modifications. (I have rewritten a large part of the subtitle handling code, and I may have introduced new bugs.) Indeed, the forced subtitles were not always generated in 2D, depending of the format and other options. At least that bug is fixed, but I have still not verified if forcing the forced flag (by ticking the "forced" checkbox on a "full" stream) works as expected. I will verify that and I'll release a new version...

Sorry, I will not implement a way to display the subtitle stream sizes. It's too much work, and more importantly, that will slow down the display of the informations too much. But usually, when the forced subtitles are in their own stream, then there are several streams in the same language (French in your example). So, you can usually assume that the forced captions are in the "forced captions only" pseudo-stream when there is only a single French stream, and tick it. (Your selection will be ignored anyway if there are no forced captions in that stream.) I agree that when there are several French streams, that may be because there are different versions or a a director's comments track, but that's easy to detect using the preview. And, as you know, editing the mux options file is easy, so when you really don't know what to do, you can tick all French streams, and then remove the streams you don't need.