View Single Post
Old 9th April 2009, 07:00   #23  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBeepMeep View Post
I am not sure I have understood its added value compared to VMR9/EVR for a typical usage, I mean is there any real benefit to use this renderer if no resize is needed for the playback of a 1080p movie on an 1080p screen using HDMI 1.0?
Well, even if you don't have to resize, you still get best in class chroma upsampling, a full 16bit processing queue with all its benefits for image quality and best in class YCbCr -> RGB conversion with included gamut & gamma correction. Finally, due to the way madVR works, all the damaging video processing algorithms which graphics card manufacturers like to use, are disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBeepMeep View Post
On a side note I have noticed that when a player that uses the renderer (in my case zoomplayer) is in the background the CPU usage rises to 50% even in pause mode.
This does not happen with MPC HC for me. Seems to be a ZoomPlayer specific problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
One question: Does madVR actually support 10-bit data paths in GPU drivers?
Actual processing is done in 32bit floating point (that's the native processing bitdepth of GPU shaders), but temp buffers used for storing processing results can be either 16bit or 10bit, depending on the madVR settings. Final RGB output bitdepth at this time is always dithered down 8bit, but the down dithering is only done in the very last step. I'm planning to add support for 10bit and 16bit output modes once Windows 7 arrives. The 10bit/16bit switch in the madVR settings only applies to the temp buffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Is there a list of what apps work with this renderer so far? I'm particulary intereted if anyone has it working with:
- JR Media Center
- Arcsoft TMT V3
Seemingly: MPC HC (special build), ZoomPlayer and ReClock.

You'll have to ask the JR Media Center and ArcSoft guys about madVR support. Not sure if there's any chance with ArcSoft because they may need to use protected data paths for copy protected material, which madVR doesn't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
- Improve windowed - fullscreen change if possible. Now it takes too much time and the image does some weirdness that's ugly to see.
Can you describe that weirdness for me? Is there some visible corruption? Or is the image just squeezed for a short time?

Quote:
- Improve load time. It's not that slow but if it can be improved...
I'm not sure if it can be improved much. Reading a 96MB file does take its time.

Quote:
- Support for MPC-HC shaders or similar.
That will require a combined effort on my side and MPC-HC side, but it should be possible to do. One problem is that I think the best place for some shaders would be in YCbCr space and madVR could offer that to custom shaders, while VMR/EVR can not. So MPC-HC currently does not support YCbCr shaders.

BTW, forgot to mention: Subtitle rendering is currently not supported. That needs to be added, too.

Quote:
- Output options ala ffdshow (levels, 601vs709, etc.)
- Stats ala MPC-HC
That's already planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
I hope this gets "united" with MPC HC, getting all the tweaks that EVR Custom is getting - and eventually replaces EVR Custom as preferred/tweaked renderer in MPC HC.
madVR getting united with MPC HC is not in the cards, because I want madVR to be media player independent. You know, although personally I'm using MPC HC for now, some people prefer ZoomPlayer.

But as explained in the first few posts of this thread, I'm planning to work on motion smoothness.

--------------------

Can I get some specific feedback, please? I'm especially interested in playback smoothness? Do you guys get stuttering with madVR? Or is your graphics card fast enough? How smooth or non-smooth is motion display for you currently? Especially if you set display refresh rate to 1:1 match with the source frame rate? Are the Beliyaal special builds a lot smoother for you, or only slightly so? Thanks!

Last edited by madshi; 9th April 2009 at 07:07.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote