View Single Post
Old 7th June 2014, 01:30   #29  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Well, it seems that using NEDI for chroma doubling indeed does work quite well. I did have some trouble with aligning the luma and chroma grid, but I sort of succeeded with the following result:

NEDI chroma doubling.
Jinc3AR chroma doubling.

The NEDI method could probably be made a bit sharper since I'm currently using a simple box filter to shift it 1/2 a pixel, which could be replaced by something better (in fact you could just use NEDI again). I'm also completely ignoring the chroma channel which may backfire on some images, but does seem to produce the best results. Even better, doing so seems to hide some source artifacts when these don't occur in the luma channel.
To me the above sample's NEDI version has better edge smoothness, but at the cost of losing some higher freqeuency details (i.e. too soft) than the Jinc3AR version. It can be even noticed on the text body and the tree's texture at a normal viewing distance with the so so Dell U2412M. I guess the difference will be even higher on a TV with super-resolution engine's high-frequency signal restoration enhancement.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote