View Single Post
Old 15th November 2015, 12:23   #695  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.78 released

Quote:
v0.78 (November 15, 2015)
- Due to problems with the DcaDec DTS decoder, the support for the ArcSoft DTS decoder has been added back. (It has been removed in v0.70.)
- Added the Settings -> Preferred DTS Decoder menu to select the ArcSoft, DcaDec or LibAv DTS decoder.
- Small cosmetic changes
- Fix: The message displayed by the [?] button next to the Convert to AC3 or AAC option in tab 2 was truncated.
- Updated eac3to to the latest version (v3.31) - The DTS decoding problems with DcaDec should be fixed.
- Updated MkvMerge, MkvPropEdit and MkvInfo to the latest version (v8.5.2)
- Due to problems in the latest versions of the Intel MVC decoder, libmfxsw32.dll has NOT been and should not be updated, and is still v6.14.11.28 (28-11-2014).
I have tried to implement a workaround for the problems of the DTS-HD and DTS-HD-MA decoding with eac3to and the new DcaDec DTS decoder (explained in this post). The workaround is simply to implement a new option (available via the Settings -> Preferred DTS Decoder menu) to allow the user to select his preferred DTS decoder, instead of forcing DcaDec by default. It is now possible to select the commercial ArcSoft DTS decoder (but only if it is properly installed on your system), the free DcaDec that caused the problems, or the simple but relatively inefficient LibAv decoder. (See the Help item in the Settings menu for more info about the advantages and disadvantage of these decoders.)

But soon after I did that modifications in the code, a new version of eac3to has been released. It includes the latest version of the DcaDec decoder, and that version can now distinguish between a fatal error or a simple warning. Therefore, the small discrepancies in the DTS-HD or DTS-HD-MA streams that caused the previous version of eac3to to fail often are now simply logged in red in the BD3D2MK3D console, but the conversion continues without problem. It should therefore be safe to use the DcaDec DTS decoder by default now. However, I have decided to leave the option to select the preferred DTS decoder, because DcaDec is still a very young decoder, and it may have other bugs. You may also prefer the ArcSoft decoder, if you have it. However, if you don't have the ArcSoft decoder, I recommend to use the DcaDec decoder, at least to decode DTS-HD and DTS-HD-MA audio tracks. (The LibAv decoder should give good results with the standard 5.1 DTS tracks.)

For your information, I have also tried to update the Intel MVC decoder (libmfxsw32.dll) to the latest version (v6.15.6.2), but unfortunately it has a big bug. Some movies cannot be decoded at all, and the decoder outputs only pure black frames! (It's the case, notably, with the US BD3D of Creature from the Black Lagoon.) Therefore, I have tried to replace the DLL with the penultimate version (v6.15.3.12) and that one doesn't output black frames, but it produces strange stuttering in some scenes. I'm not totally sure it's a bug, but the latest version distributed with BD3D2MK3D (v6.14.11.28) works without problem. Therefore, I don't recommend to update yourself the Intel library, unless you want to check yourself if it works for you. (That may be useful if you need to update the drivers for your Intel processor and v6.14.11.28 is not compatible with your hardware.) If someone has good results with the latest versions in hardware mode, please let me know. (If you need a sample, you can download this short extract from Creature from the Black Lagoon.)

The MkvToolnix exes have also been updated. AFAIK, they do not cause problems! ;-)

As usual, you can download the update here: BD3D2MK3D.7z

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th November 2015 at 12:29.